1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Republic Commando PC Demo

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Feb 1, 2005.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Talon Hunter sends word that a StarWars: Republic Commando PC demo is available on this month's CGW magazine demo disk. The install file is 432 meg and requires about 620 meg free space. Check out the Read Me for more information.

This U-Engine title is bringing some Star Wars universe squad based tactics and a singleplayer game that is looking pretty compelling. Check it out if you haven't already.

[UPDATE 3:34] A list of mirrors has popped up for this demo. I'll see you in line.

2. hal

Read Me:

3. Yoshiro

Yoshiro New Member

What can I say, I love it.

4. FluXs

FluXs old skool

Just finished playing...

Nice, I like the HUD effects, like when you die etc, or when you get alien guts splatted on your visor and how you can order your squad around.

5. TalonHunter

TalonHunter This space for Rent

Yea.. I like what I've seen so far.. I havn't had a chance to play through the whole thing.. Maybe when the kids are in bed.. :D

I hope they have a CO-OP mode on the PC version when it comes out!!

6. FluXs

FluXs old skool

downside was its the quickest demo I have ever played just a couple of minutes to finish the level.

BTW, die at least once, or to the point where you have low health and fall to the ground... Its good.

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

I'm so happy I have a subscription to CGW :D

EDIT: yeah, rather quick however it gives you a nice taste of what is there. The squadmates are really fun and actually have a lot of personality, which is unheard of in games it seems. The mission itself provides a nice variation of squad tactics. The AI can be kind of stupid however I did catch one of those buggers kicking a grenade back at me after I threw it at him. Lots of fun. Oh and did anyone else recognize the voice of the dude with the chaingun-like gun? :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  8. hal

Hey, now this is really cool!

9. ilkman

ilkman The Outcast God

You can also download this demo from fileplanet.
    I havnt had any luck with it, however, seeing as it stops at 99%.
    Ive tried it around 3-4 times so far and its always died at the last second.

10. Birelli

Birelli meh...

Seems pretty good, the scripted AI sequences like sniping, 'nading, hacking, etc. don't leave much versatility, but they're a nice touch. Other than the decent squad dynamics though there isn't much that stands out. The weapons didn't feel all that "Star Wars" to me, but the clone wars haven't been touched on much yet so there's some artistic freedom there.

11. hal

But you don't have to use those scripted commands as highlighted by your HUD. You can also use your F1-F4 keys to command general behavior and go at it that way.

12. NegativeTrend

NegativeTrend Mr. T Says, "Que?"

Looks like this demo let too much slip.
    Looks like CTF_Siege, CTF_Detention, DM_Hangar, CTF_HangingGarden, DM_ZeroG, CTF_DM_POW, DM_Canyon, CTF_Trando, DM_Engine should be some of the maps appearing :) from what I inferred.
    Also there are tons of stuff not used in this demo included also. (songs, textures, etc.)
    All in all it is a fun demo but it I liked looking at when it was developed myself. Looks like it has been in production since around the Unreal 2 days. Anyway back to the game.

-The music is definately top notch in this game. It sets a mood that is unbeatable.
    -The sound fx are fairly decent but could use some improvemnts, though still great.
    -Graphics are top notch and look very nice.
    -Gameplay is fairly tough to get used to after playing UT2004 all the time. Picture Rainbow Shield, Metroid Prime, and the Star Wars universe all mixed together.
    All of these things make this game seem to be a great upcoming title for the PC and Xbox.

13. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

That depends ... if you've played the Troopers-mod then you should have some idea as to what to expect ;)

I really wished the voicepacks in UT-series had as much personality as these clonetroopers.

Now I just wonder whether or not they've got bots in multiplayer as well.
    Heck ... I can imagine a game where every player leads a small team, but that's just me dreaming again I think ;)