UE1 - UT Replacing standard playerpawns

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
How does spawning a player work exactly ?

I know that some objects can be easily spawned and work as expected. However, spawning a subclass of, say, a bot will simply produce a character that stands still and doesn't show up in the scoreboard. I assume that the playereplicationinfo plays a part but is there something else that comes into play ?

badkangaroo

Jul 23, 2008
do your new pawns have animation trees as well? Not sure if that has anything to do with scoring, but it would effect if they animate while moving.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
They're just a subset of playerpawns with some things changed that can't be done any other way (for example lockdown). I believe the reason they're not moving or showing up is because they're missing something. The PRI holds the playername and other information but it's quite a task figuring out what else goes on when a player spawns on a server.

badkangaroo

Jul 23, 2008
Did you take a look through UTEntryGame.uc? there's also some startup stuff in the UTGameReplicationInfo.uc as well, you've probably already looked through these.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
The UTJMH, MatrixMove, ValhallaAvatar and many other mods replace the PlayerPawns with a new Scripted PlayerPawn. You might wanna give them a look so you can see what and how they do such thing.

Also, the Tactical Ops mod uses its own Bot classes but its already coded into the gametype. The code has been deleted from the package and what you could do is Decompile the classes that you think replace the bot system and maybe you'll be able to figure out the code that does so, and try using it in a Mutator to see if it will work.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I can't seem to export the code of valhalla unfortunately. I'll have a look at those two other mods though.