1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Repairable vehicles

Discussion in 'General UTXMP Discussion' started by fireball, Aug 19, 2004.

1. fireball

fireball Reach out and torch someone

Can we have them? :) Not sure how it'd be handled though, since there's no link-gun to fire at them and no non-enterable parts of the vehicle to "use", but it'd be great to finally be able to fix that Harbie after it spun out for the ninth time.

2. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

I dont think you need to worry about vehicle damage due to bad vehicle handling and hitting mountains and such. The vehicles are going to handle very well in this version.

I personally dont like repairable vehicles anyway. Make it risky for the two arty carriers to haul ass back to base on a smoking raptor ;)

3. fireball

Well, you'd have to get out to repair it, where a Ranger could snipe your ass anyway. Point about the lack of bad handling though.

4. atticbat

atticbat FragBait

I hope that the target for the mod is to be as close to the original as possible.

With the creative juices already flowing within the community, I am 100% we will see many many tweaks and twists for UTXMP 'after' the release.

But to nail the original feel and play of the U2XMP with the UT2004 gameplay will be an achievement that should put smiles on the faces of all the ut community.

5. Reeps

Reeps Severe thumbs up (y)

Back when mapping for u2xmp I had tried to make a large platform for a vehicle to drive up on and repair damage. It didn't work though. I think something like repairable vehicles could be done in certain maps, but would possibly need more coding. Maybe something like Vehicle Powerstations?

6. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

Negative!

7. [DF]phalanx

[DF]phalanx bgutblower=true

yeah like a station
    a repair bay would be cool

8. Oblivion[CW]

Oblivion[CW] New Member

No repairing, they must blow up. People must die.

9. Captain Kewl

Captain Kewl I know kewl.

Since the vehicles are based on the ONS vehicle code, they will be repairable... there just won't be any link gun to repair it with.

10. fireball

Ok..
    Bets on how long until a "vehicle repair gun" appears?

11. [DF]phalanx

lol
    and whats the bet the guy that makes it makes it for thier class

12. Retodon8

Retodon8 Sheep happens!

A repair platform sounds nice.
    Something like Link guns or TFC spanners would seem silly to me, but a repair platform would fit XMP.
    Just alone the fact that it would help distinguish from UT would be a positive.
    Don't get me wrong, I really like UT, but I want XMP to be XMP, and perhaps a bit more.
    With pads it'd be up to the mapper as to whether or not they're there anyway.
    All the above is my opinion of course.

13. fireball

Yeah, I'd prefer a platform to be honest. Maybe just if you drive the vehicle to a vehicle spawn point, that repairs it? Or only some? (bRepairPad for UTXMPVehicleFactory or whatever class you're using)

14. Zaknafein

Zaknafein XMP Beta Tester

I like the idea of the repair platform, however ... to ensure that someone doesn't just park the jug on it ... I would recommend that you have to have someone hack a panel persistantly for the vehicle to be repaired. That way you can snipe the guy at the panel and stop the vehicles healing.

15. Naib

Naib New Member

Good point

In BF1942 you used to get people that would sit in the other teams repair hanger in a tank shooting anyone that went near them. Because the tank was always being repaired it was one hell of a job getting rid of someone. In the end they changed it so you could only get repairs in your own base.

I think the idea of a guy at the panel is a lot better for XMP

16. [DF]phalanx

lol just put it in an out of the way place
    then they can park thier jug on it all they want
    i say set it to work with energy so it won't work if ur team doesn't have enough energy

17. Major-Lee-High

Major-Lee-High Im a ranter, ignore me!

The repair pad is a good idea, although i still think engies should be able to repair things.

One of the dumb things in xmp was the vehicles getting all fuked up then having to blow them up and wait for it to spawn, when you should be able to heal it instead.

18. Splinti

Splinti Battle-Rat

The Thing with Hacking a panel to repair a vehicle rocks! :)
    Would be one teamplay-thingie more in XMP!! :-D

19. Splinter

Splinter rifk

yeah like u drive a vech onto the platform and then u hack the pannel, sounds fair. do i think its gonna be made? no :lol:

20. PRG

PRG XMP Beta Tester

All you need to do is make it work like the health/ammo/shield stations do currently. Once it powers you back up, it turns off. You need to move away then move back on it to retrigger it to get it working again.