Remove Jumping!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

REMOVE JUMP?

• [img]http://phatcat.animedominion.com/emoticon/cheers.gif[/img] YEAH!!

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • [img]http://phatcat.animedominion.com/emoticon/duh2.gif[/img] ARE YOU INSANE?!?

Votes: 28 54.9%

• Total voters
ok... ok..

before you shoot me :)

take a look at most tactical games out there. Rainbow 6, Operation Flashpoint, and SWAT 3.

notice there there is NOT JUMPING?

Jumping in INF right now just contributes to hopping around out of reflex or becasue it makes your a harder target to hit.

I suggest we remove it and replace it with the ablity to climb up and over objects.

JUMP : climb up and over objects. like crates, and ledges. the move would have the player jump up and pull them up.

JUMP + SHIFT : leap over object, such as small objects that are waist high. examples are sandbags, stumps, small fences. the move would place one hand down on the infront of them at waist hight and

WALK or RUN (into small object) : walking up to small knee high objects would automaticlly have you make a large step up. slows the player down to make the move. but no jump is required.

DOUBLE-TAP FOWARD : player will jump up and foward in a small leap to skirt gaps.

I see this as being so much more realistic. Jumping is such a Quake feature. People really don't "JUMP" at all when you look at it. prehaps leap foward.

just a idea, what do you think?

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
I won't mind but if Jumping is remove, it'll be very difficult for teamA to navigate across Atoll, Team A are already at a slight disadvantage against snipers.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Just get rid of vertical leaps.

I wouldn't mind seeing a double-tap leap, but I'd find it a lot easier to do a forward leap simply by hitting the space bar while running/sprinting forwards, whereas if you're walking into an obstacle and hit space you'll try to climb over it...

EDIT: More spacebar functions? ...

Hitting space while crouched: Character jumps backwards in panic. Will drop larger rifles and drummed AK, immediately drawing out aimed sidearm.

Hitting space while standing and not moving: Very fast duck that takes a bit off the stamina. Player will stand up if spacebar is released.

Or would that be too cumbersome and confusing?

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
Jumping is a part of life.
I would suggest they add the other features, while reducing the height and increasing the penalty for making a jump.
but not taking it out altogether.

make it so walking up to an object and slowley crawling over it is the preferred method. but that jumping over a gap is still an option. (not an evasion)

maybe replace teh grunt sound with something that sounds more like 250 lbs of man and gear falling on the ground.

Because a major theme of the game is sneaking, theres got to be more ways of trading speed for stealth in all our movements.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
'double tap forward' already is 'dive prone' so that can't be done.
And the 'shift'-key is the 'toggle run' button in my key-setup.

// as to 'remove' jump :
make sure you've got a working alternative for climbing (small) objects and jumping over gaps first before you remove it completely.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
I'd rather have a way to escaladate obstacles that are of my height (which jumping doesn't allow now) than present jumping. So i say : "OK, Phatcat".
Hey hey, that's what i saaaay ....

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Only a dumbass community like this would say something like "take out jumping."

"Jumping in INF right now just contributes to hopping around out of reflex or becasue it makes your a harder target to hit."

Learn to aim you freak'n tard. If you had ANY clue as to what you are talking about you would understand that a player who jumps is easier to hit then a player who does not. If you jump, you have no control over your body. You are an EASY TARGET against anyone who doesn't suck. If you are jogging or walking or running you can change direction and prevent being killed. You have it totally ass backwards.

But you guys wouldn't understand this because you are too busy pissing and moaning about why you can't hit the broad side of a barn with a damn m203.

"The barn is bunny hopping!!!"

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
a reminder for browncow...

There is no "lite footed evasion" in combat.
...you cant:
1. run fast enough to outpace the enemies lead on you.
2. zigzag in front of a firingsquad.
3. circle straif an armed opponent.
4. jump outta the way.

: then expect to live, and complain if you dont.

I hope the military dosent give you a gun and send you to afgan turf.
cause your going to walk out in front of the enemy and hop like a bunny in the hope god will add lag to real life so you dont die as a brilliant display of splattering blood and a fine example of stupidity.

even if you tried to drop all your gear and pretend to be an acrobat from cirque De Sol, how much hopping about you think you can do when its a 20 mile walk home?

FiringAimlessly

Sep 18, 2001
On a side note...

I have had no problem with hitting people who jump, as nearly all my misses are high due to recoil.

>'double tap forward' already is 'dive prone' so that can't be done.

- WIth my idea we'd remove dive prone entirely... I REALLY don't see the point of it, but if you could explain just what advantage it provides in a firefight (at least considering the rate at which you get up) I shall say no more...

And don't get me started on anatisexual prostitution and BrownCow in tights.

Prowler

"Building Better Worlds"
Jul 6, 2000
Canada
*ignores rest of thread*
I take it if you plan on removing jumping then you plan on replacing it with climb? Like in R6? or something else, cuz its better to have jump then no jump at all.

FiringAimlessly

Sep 18, 2001
It is a given that jump would be replaced with climb should this get processed.

Many areas in most maps would suddenly become unreachable otherwise.