1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Religious/Evolutionary Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by QUALTHWAR, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Nachimir

Nachimir Crony of Stilgar

Yes, dozens of ancient cultures in regions worldwide have flood legends.

That certainly can be the case, but in a more general sense as kids grow up they often drift into the patterns set by their parents, not only in terms of religion but also consumerism, politics, social circles, media... everything really.

2. Chrysaor

Chrysaor Lord of the Pants

See, this is why I liked the other thread, and felt it was opposite to this discussion. Without the mental capacity to understand the largest and most primordial concept of our universe, maybe it is better to focus on understanding the only true world, the present, and maybe by proxy, understanding something related will give us an intuited clue into the same patterns that stem from that primordial concept.

Also though, I think that mitochondrial evidence was proved bunk shortly after publishing, but the fossil evidence for africa dating anatomically modern humans back to atleast 120,000 years ago, and maybe much more is significant.

I read a couple days ago that the name Yahweh, which spawns most of the worlds religious population comes from the hebrew, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh." which is god's initial response to Moses on Mt. Sinai. It means, "I am who I am" or basically, mind your own business. So the gender has been indeterminant from the word of god himself. But yeah, the language has no written vowels and the understood gender makes for a language that didn't communicate effectively. If you can't communicated fully (not that any language can), Hebrew being especially limited, then it's pretty easy to screw up translations and inferred meanings and symbolism and what all. A little translation really loses a lot of the real beauty that is in the religious document.

3. GoAt

GoAt Never wrong

too bad we cant get out local priest to join in.....

must be too busy doing those "priestly" things ;)

4. bobtheking

bobtheking Monkey in a bucket

this is an interesting point, because look at how much we (humans) used to explain with god or religion, just about everything. as we understand more and more, we now know that there are rational explanations for those things instead. it seems that our origin is one of the last, if not the last thing that some people still accept religion as an explanation for.

5. GoAt

GoAt Never wrong

why do gays think that religion needs to "evolve" and "get with the time" as far as them being accepted goes...

homosexuality was a sin when this all started and it is considered a sin now

6. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

Religion is like an insurance policy, you hope to never make a claim, but when you pass on you`re gunna be glad you have it. ;)

7. Nachimir

Nachimir Crony of Stilgar

Quickly! Break out the secular aphorisms!

8. bobtheking

bobtheking Monkey in a bucket

9. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

If it turns out I'm wrong about God or Heaven and the big man (or Alanis Moriset in a dress if you saw Dogma) asks me why I was an Atheist, I'll just tell him it was peer pressure.

10. oosyxxx

oosyxxx teh3vilspa7ula

But from which company do you buy your policy? I would personally just go by the commercials, you know, whichever celebrity pitch person has the most authoritative and integrity-filled sounding voice. Also if they are attractive I would be more likely to buy from them.

11. QUALTHWAR

QUALTHWAR Baitshop opening soon.

i think the government is covering up alien contact because it would change how many people think about religion and that alone would cause utter chaos.

12. Cat Fuzz

Cat Fuzz Qualthwar's Minion. Ph34r!

How would the discovery of extra terrestrials effect religion?

13. GoAt

GoAt Never wrong

it would cause mass religious hysteria.
    same reason why most world space agencies dont release information on "planet killers" (asterioids) untill they know it will pass or it has already passed.

14. Cat Fuzz

But, why? Are you saying that only religious people would freak out?

15. Chrysaor

They'd be some of many. There's no adam and eve with aliens. Well not exactly anyway.

I still think that the order is wrong here. I think you have the god/spirituality/ethereal before you have the big bang. I think science is second, it explains everything below the spiritual aspect, and is built off of things less than that. Therefore the sum of its knowledge will not equate to something beyond it. That make sense?

16. Cat Fuzz

Why? Someone explain why the existance of aliens would prove that God doesn't exist.

I'm agnostic when it comes to the question of ET intellegence. I just don't know if there is or isn't life on other planets. I don't think we'll ever know.

17. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

ofcourse we'll know, the first wave of spam mail from pegasus-5 is supposed to reach earth in 24 years.

18. Chrysaor

ET wouldn't deny god. It just seems to conflict with the established 'history' of the biblical world, and it would certainly question whether we were created in his image, but others mostly likely would not be.

Don't be a bitch about this, there's a certain amount of belligerance that comes with reading the bible rote and something that would big would surely screw up someone's belief system.

19. GoAt

GoAt Never wrong

religious people would not be the only ones the freak out, but are most likely to be more extreeme about it

20. GoAt

GoAt Never wrong

take my grandparents for example.
    they are so far in their belifes that any significant change in anything (be it weather, science, space exploration) they view it as either a sign from god, or hersay.

we had snow on thanksgiving this year...

"god is telling us that winter will be hard this season"

the cat got a bad urinary infection (and its a year old)

"the cat doesnt need to go to the vet, thats gods way of saying its his time"

my car broke down

"god thinks you not supposed to go out"

etc.

there are religious people, then there are extreemists.