release button

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hellsangie

Anja
Jan 16, 2003
Germany (Frankfurt)
Visit site
Hey girls, you´re so right, I agree with you in all points. :clap:
I don´t understand the discussion, I think we all have a lot of fun just the way it is.
And everybody has the same chance to get his frags by releasing, killing in offense or defense.
So it´s up to you how you play the game! :flak:

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Just FYI, with JB2003 having every map teleport people home upon release is quite possible, in fact Crokx already has a mutator for it in testing, hopefully with that option out there this discussion won't matter for 2003 :).

anathema

the one and only
May 13, 2003
at the toilet
Visit site
Well I started something didn't I? And CoolDude I sure am glad 2 live with Bath, even if she doesn't agree with me all the time hahahaha.2 be honest, normally be4 playing JB, I played a lot of deathmatch and last man standing, so the being nr 1 part is still in me sorry. If you're asking me now what I think about my thread, well I guess it's more the team spirit that counts, so 4 me it would be better if there weren't individual scores, but just a team score. Then I would not have started this thread at all, because I wouldn't have known where the hell all those frags came from. :lol:

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Birelli said:
Just FYI, with JB2003 having every map teleport people home upon release is quite possible, in fact Crokx already has a mutator for it in testing, hopefully with that option out there this discussion won't matter for 2003 :).

... i don't have UT2003. Dunno about 2004, but...

... if that mutator was an INTEGRAL PART of UTJB2004, i actually don't find it bad at all. Depending on the map (in UTJB), jails are at your base, enemy base or, middle way.

That means if enemy jail near enemy switch, we get that "everybody in other's people/team base". I don't like that all too much. (humm... that's why JB-NIFAM never really got me...)

With the teleport of releaser being a feature built in has part of the UTJB2004, that could still occur, but i think it would shift gameplay a little more towards "you keep at your base, i'll stay at mine".
That would problably mean, that all maps would have a jail either middle map or your base; NEVER near release switch of your team.
Again, it's a mapping thing...

... just a thought...

I don't mind that UTJB system stays has is now... it's ok.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I tghink you might have misunderstood. what this "JB add-on" (add-ons are basically jailbreak specific mutators) does is teleports the person who touches the release back to home (not the people who are escaping jail). Since what usually happens is you touch the release, die, and escape (scoring a point for releasing yourself in the process), the add-on eliminates the go-to-jail-and-instantly-go-gree middleman and also prevents release spamming at the same time. but as far as I know it has nothing to do (and shouldnt) with released prisioners.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
SirTahngarth said:
I tghink you might have misunderstood. what this "JB add-on" (add-ons are basically jailbreak specific mutators) does is teleports the person who touches the release back to home (not the people who are escaping jail). Since what usually happens is you touch the release, die, and escape (scoring a point for releasing yourself in the process), the add-on eliminates the go-to-jail-and-instantly-go-gree middleman and also prevents release spamming at the same time. but as far as I know it has nothing to do (and shouldnt) with released prisioners.

... yes... i was refering precisely to the releaser player. The jailbirds were part of a consideration that included map designing, namely the location of jails and how that *could* turn into "everybody release spamming".

In the end, what i could suggest for UTJB2004 is: releaser player gets teleported to his own base, at a spawn point + jails NEVER being near its release switch. This would avoid the [direct] release spamming. That would have to be PART of UTJB new rules, not just a mutator. ;)

I don't mind about the scores and that was not the point of what i was saying, nor i find it wrong the releaser gets killed and free. Again, that is with PRESENT UTJB rules...

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Nahand said:
In the end, what i could suggest for UTJB2004 is: releaser player gets teleported to his own base, at a spawn point + jails NEVER being near its release switch. This would avoid the [direct] release spamming. That would have to be PART of UTJB new rules, not just a mutator. ;)
Maps with the jails close to their own release ("reversed base idea") just play differently, but I honestly can't say therefore they are bad (Nifam, CloseQuarters, Construction, ... ).
I like those maps, and with me a lot more people.

It's all about gameplay, not how many releases, defence or attack frags you got.
If a mapper thinks that putting the jails close to the release button, or not teleport the releaser back to his own base will give the best gameplay results, so be it.

I think it makes no sense to set up some rules for JB2003.
Don't restrict the mappers, keep all possibilities open you will get the best results.
:cool:

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
Button in itself isnt a problem, its just fustrating to some. Has anyone noticed that the games with less captures turns out to be the most fun? If it wasnt for someone taking care of unleashing the team to assault on the other team`s 'button keeper', the match wouldnt be as good. As i see it, if a team gets locked down too much, the team lose hope and give in to snipers and fall for every trick :D
Where ever the jail is, close to the switch or not all that needs to be changed is the way you defend, not the way the map should be set.
As for the frags, they might end up deserving it ;) but a way of seporating total score as
Overall score : x
Kills/Frags : x
would be nice :)

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
Maps with the jails close to their own release just play differently, but I honestly can't say therefore they are bad (Nifam, CloseQuarters, Construction, ... ). I like those maps, and with me a lot more people.
I have to disagree here, as I do like the mentioned maps but somehow have the feeling they would even be better if the jails were switched (= not that close to the release mechanism). Here comes my fav. part from the Wiki about placement of jails:

The jail area need not be placed directly adjacent to the release mechanism. This mechanism will often be deep within an enemy base, and placing the jail too deep in the enemy base will only lead to a carnage immediately after the jailed prisoner's release. Rather, released prisoners should have a reasonably safe route back to their own base, so they may regroup in relative peace and mount a new assault. If placed between bases, the jail exit should probably face away from the enemy base, so that snipers will not immediately shoot the heads off the escapees.

In the end, what i could suggest for UTJB2004 is: releaser player gets teleported to his own base ... not just a mutator
That somehow collides with my idea of the jailbreak gametype (also it is fun to have some maps set up that way like e.g. JB-Community) as taking care of the enemies at the release switch is part of the JB startegy (and that teleport thingy reduces the strategy/fun here).

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Sexmachine said:
I have to disagree here, as I do like the mentioned maps but somehow have the feeling they would even be better if the jails were switched (= not that close to the release mechanism).
I'm beginning to feel the urge to start up my UED and switch a few things, just to see if you're correct.
Don't worry SnowDog, it's for my own evaluation.
Too bad I already got something planned for tonight.
:cool:

Snowdog

Yeah, bitch!
Oct 15, 2001
Heel, The Netherlands
www.ophyr.nl
The guy who released the prisoners is probably loaded with guns, and since the teammates are released close to him, he may defend the prisoners, or throw them some weapons =) He can also get rid of any enemy sniper that might kill the released people.

Then again, if the release is close to the middle, it's a challenge to get out of the base alive (and on your own), since everyone in the game knows your exact location and could setup an ambush. CQ][ has the reverse base idea, I guess it's best to wait and see wether that's more fun =p

anathema

the one and only
May 13, 2003
at the toilet
Visit site
4 some reason I get more regrets not being at the LAN 2003.You guys and girls are so dedicated 2 the JB thing, I admire that.Knowing what you people share here on the net, makes me believe that i'm the 1 who has 2 change inside.Maybe i should come here more often 2 grab the teamspirit.Thats what JB is all about.Actually, I think I will defend more often now.So you silly button keepers i'm gonna kick your silly asses.Beware of those rockets or headshots, cause here I come.

skeleton_keys

aka Banquo
Dec 12, 2002
London UK
Visit site
I say let the mappers decide.

If they make a good map, it will be played more than others wherever the switches etc are.

And looking at the maps that tend to get palyed there is a good mix.

Putting constraints and rules on what is a great mod won't help IMHO