1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rein: UTIII on PC not "doing so badly"

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Growler, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

On topic: Beside the obvious need to remain optimistic to the outside world, UT has been a game of cumulative sales as far as I'm aware... saw UT2004 in a shop not too long ago.

Off topic: I sympathise with members who end up being banned from their forums despite constructive activity, but I personally get annoyed with those people coming over here to cry about it.

2. Jordan L

Jordan L New Member

True, its nice to see FSS and Ping0 (Flag Ship Studios formerly part of Blizzard) talk with their fans that complain over and over. They give daily updates, hold live IRC chat discussions, and never lock or delete threads no matter how harsh/pointless they tend to be, which they should though. The Dev's are extremely talkative and friendly, they even agree with the fans when you talk down upon the game and know it could use improvements in certain areas. Make a thread by a Dev's name, ask him the question, and you get the answer within an hour. They always part take in daily threads. I think the fans over on the Hellgate:London forums / FSS take for granted how kind and understanding these people are.

Madbone, was it R. Flagg's good points that got you in a hissy fit?

3. pinnacle

pinnacle New Member

Man that's awesome. I wish Epic would do that.

4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I fear that you just don't understand the complexity of running those forums. I certainly don't envy those people. We're talking about people that have regular full time jobs on top of moderating over there. They don't have time to spend every waking moment reading 30 page long posts about this feature or that. If a post seems inflammatory in the first few lines or even just by skimming, it's probably going to get axed.

We are certainly a lot more lax here, but we've been getting sick of it too. It's been two months, there is a patch that fixes many issues and a second patch coming soon that fixes most of the severe issues that are left. What else do you want them to do but patch the game incrementally?

In regards to the bent link beam, that was only ever in the PS3 version (and third person on the PC, which is still there and is just an optical illusion of sorts).

I prefer the way they moderate their forums. It does mean that occasionally an unfair ban is placed or a perfectly fine thread is deleted, but I can actually FIND INFORMATION on Epic's forums. Compared to many game forums (including several of Midway's other games), that is a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  5. awaw

awaw I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash

Seriously, what did they expect? I can't come up with many more things that are more annoying to a mod than getting dozens (or more) pms about a certain ban, containing the same arguments over and over again and (probably most of them) quite some profanity.

6. R.Flagg

R.Flagg New Member

That's why they call it work. ;)

Lots of people have jobs that aren't always fun. That's life. If they aren't happy with it, than it's no different than anyone else. Find a job you like better.

7. Sir_Brizz

They aren't doing their job incorrectly.

8. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

qft

9. Anuban

Anuban Your reward is that you are still alive

Well I am throwing my two cents in on this: First off there is no way BD should have ever gotten banned ... you don't ban people who make great content for your game ... unless they are not willing to place this content on the platform you want to see succeed. Now the ban thing at Epic is not fair because it is not consistent, there are far too many trolls that should be banned and yet they are still running around causing trouble.

I was told I would be banned simply because I would not let a group of folks who trolled on a thread I created start trouble with me without saying something back. And even though NOT ONE modder has had a problem with me I get told that I should watch how I give advice to the mappers because I come off arrogant and insulting. Funny how the mappers never felt I was insulting them. It is really a shame too ... I put in some serious time leading that HaloUT mod for this community and people that have made two or three maps in a couple months get more praise and respect ... that is crazy ... I worked on that for two years of my life trying to give something great to the UT community ... and now I feel like not only was it not appreciated but I am being marginalized and I am not happy with that. There are folks who trolled like hell and used profanity and caused all kinds of trouble and who have never ever ever contributed one thing to the community and yet they are still around. But someone like BD gets banned and after almost four years I am sure that in the next two months I will be banned. And it will be because I will not let someone talk to me anyway they want. If Epic won't ban the real troublemakers so be it ...

Flak is okay I suppose ... I felt like we were pretty cool when she wasn't a mod but now that she is a mod man she has changed and I know she is a member here and will see this .. good. Flak I want you to know I think you have really changed and are not the same nice and fair minded person you once were. In all the time I have known Flak she never had anything negative to say to me but now that she is a mod I am hearing how these episodes that happen where people attack me are all my fault and I risk being banned. I don't know what that is all about but that does not sound fair to me and since when is Flak not fair about things? Oh yeah since she became a mod at Epic's forums.

Edit: And what is really funny is how after some trolls were banned for harassing me thanks to Flak (big thanks on those past ones) they all felt that I had Flak in my back pocket or something equally as stupid. I find that so hilarious ...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Earth to Mark Rein?

That part makes me want to cry. He just nailed a lot of the reasons UT3 tanked. Yet doesn't seem to realise that those are the reasons the game's failed. You have to wonder...

11. BigDragon

BigDragon New Member

I was an administrator for FurAffinity.net, the largest online furry art community. Prior to that I was an administrator for Alt.Fan.Dragons, the largest dragon community online. It's really not that hard to diffuse a situation before running around with the banhammer. Jeff is too lazy to get off his overpaid butt to do something productive.

12. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

Oh god.

13. Sir_Brizz

Administrating the forums isn't his full time job, nor the full time jobs of any of the moderators.

14. GGA_Nate

GGA_Nate I train people, not dogs.

I'm sorry, dude, but that's just weird.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

I wonder how many copies Unreal, the game that started it all sold in it's first weeks. I know it's a strange comparison, but I still would like to know.

If Epic and the community can pump out maps and other contents in large quantities it will have a higher number of players. I still think it's bad tactics, because it all has to happen in one moment of time. It's not that easy to relaunch a title either. A game has to be top of the line, once, to really stay in our hearts and become a nostalgic legend later on. I still love the game, but much other was expected and we are still wishing way too much. The competition from other games are too much and people are whining more than playing. Everything gets old too fast now, Epic should have waited with the release in retrospect. No, wait, what Epic should have done were releasing the game even earlier, with all the contents needed to surprise, amaze and get people hooked forever, with more maps than Unreal Tournament had before, including a lot of rarely played game modes for people to play sometimes, just for fun. Even more menu options and fewer bugs instead of expecting people to be loyal, patient and stuck with only half a convincing game.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  16. BigDragon

BigDragon New Member

Nor was it a full time job for me to help administrate those two sites either. I'm just saying that I do understand the complexities and difficulties of dealing with everything from unruly crowds to regular users. It's really not difficult to send a note or two and diffuse things. People absolutely hate it when you just delete and ban without notice. It's very cowardly and pisses off paying customers who contribute heavily to the extreme. Wartourist/Jeff Morris should at the very least have his administrator powers stripped. Only people who actually know how to administrate online communities should be given the role.

17. Sir_Squiggles

Sir_Squiggles Knight of the Wound Table.

I cry with joy when someone gives me feedback. I saw that thread, but It was locked and I couldn't reply. Makes sense to credit the testers.

That is really cool. I just checked it and there was a fox with a crazy unibrow waggling it.

18. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

Exactly. If you release a game with very little marketing behind it, how many copies can you realistically expect to sell?

19. Anisotonic

Anisotonic New Member

This is debatable; I was banned & deleted after 9 posts for mentioning that UT3 was a console port 2 or 3 times. "Trolling", it said. I had not received any warning/PM/e-mail/whatsoever beforehand.

20. Sir_Brizz

It's not really debatable. You don't agree with how they are doing their job, but that doesn't mean they are doing it wrong. In the case of a forum, you only have as much power as they give you. It's the same here, we are just more lax. They aren't required to give you any warning before you are banned.

As I said before, frankly I'm glad they act the way they do. It means I can go there and see lots of different threads instead of 12 pages of whining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.