1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Red Orchestra Forms New Studio

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Mar 1, 2005.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I think everyone saw this one coming, but it in a press release issued today, the Red Orchestra team has reformed as Tripwire Interactive, LLC. The winners of the Make Something Unreal contest will be attending the upcoming Game Developers Conference as guests of NVidia and will be displaying the latest release.

They also had this to say:

Clearly our first major project will be the Red Orchestra versions to be built using the Unreal Engine license that we have won, courtesy of Epic. There will be more news on this over the coming weeks as we formalise our plans going forward.

2. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Congrats to the RO team.

I'll be sure to check them out while I'm at the conference.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

oh who really cares. The whole "I AER TEH PRO DEV TEAM MOD GUY MAN! WE HAVE LOTS OF PR AND DO LOTS OF IMPORTANTS!" is a bunch of crap.

What happened to the old days of the UT community when people actually created mods for the game and didn't need an incentive? These mod teams, which are scattered all over the world, acting as "Studios" HAH! Seriously, give me a break. Maybe Fraghouse will form "SUPER AWESOMES STUDIO INC CORP" even though Everyone is scattered throughout the US and Europe.

Seriously, you're a mod team, stop acting like you're king sh!t.

4. Snax

Snax lol?

Ro was good for a modding level, but i hope they can make it better using a freash licence... it should also has to match gaming standards, and hopefully can be better than doom 3 or some other fps!

5. Nutsy

Nutsy Guest

Right erm... Most people make mods in order to get jobs in the game dev industry. Though many also mod as a hobby. but its usealy a hobby if they are already in the industry.

Daedalus your acting like a right stuck up lamer with that attatude. Yes many dev teams are spread over the net. What do you think Splash damaged started out as? Or even Nurve? They all started as mod devs on the net. Now they are fully fledged gaming studios. Working on big contracts or there own developments.

And have you ever herd of freelancing? It happens all the time.

Grow up and iron out your attatude.

6. Daedalus is an idiot

Daedalus, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. RO was in development long before the MSUC was even announced. All the MSUC did was provide them with deadlines to meet, which made some of the devs work 60+ hours a week to meet. If there had been no MSUC, there would still be RO, and it would be just as great as it is now.

Also they have the right to be proud of themselves, they won phases 2, 3, 4 and the Grand Finals of the MSUC, proving they have some of the best talent of any mods out there. They deserve to reap the reward of their hard work. And since RO is probably going to be a commercial game eventually, they'd better have some kind of company if they're going to want to succeed.

7. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

You know, I'm probably just going to take a back seat on this one.

But I do think if people want to come and discuss it and/or get in all a tizzy, the least they can do is brave enough to register.

8. hal

Agreed, Regular X.

I think it's a bit unfair criticizing Red Orchestra for taking the winnings of a contest that they worked hard to win and ... doing exactly what any other responsible group of developers would do. You have to legally organize and then present a professional face in order for any publisher to pick you up.

Red Orchestra won the rights to an Engine License - something development teams pay big money to get. And when big money is involved, you have to be serious.

9. Kaithofis

Kaithofis The Seldom Seen Kid

Daed never even mentioned the MSUC.
    And all he did was giving his personal opinion, OMG he's an idiot he's got no idea what he's talking about.
    Only 1 fact has he mentioned, the spreaded teams, what is in fact true, no discussion possible.
    His view on the RO team, or Tripwire Interactive LLC, is just different from yours, that due to perfectly fine reasons. How can he be wrong for doing so?

Anyway, I wish the team best of luck on their journey into the big bizz.

10. FluXs

FluXs old skool

Well GG, RO... lets hope you do better than the UT Tact Ops mod/game :D

...ah the good old days

11. hal

Yeah, he sort of did... in an off hand way.

12. Major-Lee-High

Major-Lee-High Im a ranter, ignore me!

Well. imo RO was the best 2k4 mod pretty much all around.

BUT, it in no way is retail quality and will fail, even if they remade it its a was te of the license, unless they are forced to use it on RO. If they are just using it on RO anyway its a ignorant move and shows to me anyway they wont be a good dev team in the long run... Hopefully its being forced on them though, cause making a ww2 game in this saturated market, with tons of ww2 games is just stupid.

They have a talented team, id like to see them not waste anymore time on RO though, WW2 is over done atm, and tbh they didnt do a good job at all on teh overall fun factor in RO, it wasnt easy to just jump into and play, it was mostly just annoying gameplay with over the top realism (they took it past real and made it boring). A retail game needs to be fun, and rely on PUBLIC play, not private and clan game play where RO seemed to be strongest (or its only area...).

Anyway, id love tos ee another mod team make it big (btw splash damage sucks and didnt deserve to make it, afaik they just had a tight group of devs and contacts). If they find a way to make RO succesful retail taht would be great for the UT comunity, but for some reason i just keep seeing it fail, and add a cherry to the top of what was imo and completly ****ty MSUC. I really had high hopes of a great mod popping up and getting tons of players, but instead we just got a bunch of generic mods with teams and tons of semi-original (or atleast something diffrent) stuff with no teams to make em.

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

I understand that the mod team has worked hard to do this and that and the other thing blah blah blah but is it really any different from any other mod team out there? No. You're just working hard towards the goal of a finish mod for the game. I know this obviously since I do my fair share of modding for the UEngine. I don't need a UEngine license and some money to keep me with the UEngine.

Now RO is a great mod, it certainly is and the team has done a great job of providing yet another WW2 era shooter (Iron Sights are always a plus in my book) I just guess I'm a little too "amateur" for this junk. I don't really know how to put it. I've been with the Unreal Community since 1999 when I bought Unreal and loved it and I've watched the community slowly split thanks to engine licenses and all of these mod teams thinking they are top of the heap by naming themselves "studios" and the like. I think maybe Epic tried to sew that gap a bit by inviting some community members to work on UT2004 but it obviously still remains. There are going to be those that yearn for the older days of the UEngine community, before all the glam and the franchises and half-assed releases and I guess I fit into that group. Then there's that group that promotes this miserable transformation into a "pro" community in the game and in the community. I'm just expressing my opinion, which summed up I guess I'm trying to say..

I love this community, I really do. Despite the hardships and bad times, there are way too many good times to count that easily make up for the bad. I believe that this split of these mod teams what are truly no different from most other mod teams out there, is going to eventually cause the downfall of the friendly Unreal community. The Unreal Community has always been known for trying to invite new members (Hell Unreal was the first game to ship with an editor in the box!) and I think this move towards a "pro dev" community with all of these mod teams pretending they are something they really aren't is going to discourage this new member movement that the community has kept for so long. I mean I just started playing FragBU again and right off the bat I realized that I didn't know a lot of the people there! The community truly is expanding and still is inviting new members and new mods but this push towards these more pro-type games is just getting kind of ridiculous.

And MSU? Bah. I think it was a horrible idea on epic's part. Yes, I know a lot of you are probably already hitting the reply button to post "BUT IT GOT SO MANY MODS RELEASED YUO SUX." While this is true, I think it contributed greatly to this split in the community. Many of these "pro" teams seemed to just jump into the Unreal community for the sole purpose of wanting the cash and glory of that sort. It seems that though a lot of these mod teams didnt really care about the community, they just cared about how well their mod was doing (Don't believe me? Dig up that old Editors Choice announcement about Frag.Ops being featured in ECE and tell me I'm lying) I must say that I have more respect for mod teams like SAS that willingly rejected MSU.

In closing I would like to say "congrats" to the RO team. They did what they set out to do I guess, but at what price is my question.

I hope that everyone at least tries to understand where I'm coming from instead of cowering behind a guest account and blindly flaming me.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  14. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

I'm speaking from the back seat here.

I'm not privy to the details, but I'm reasonably sure that they weren't forced to do anything with the license.

And I'm also not 100% - but I don't think it says anywhere that a license is limited to one game.

I have plenty of complaints about the MSUC, but c'mon. Carball? Air Buccs? Alien Swarm? And hell, I'm even avoiding self-pimpage here by excluding a certain three team, class based game with a campaign structure. That's not only original but unique. But I'm not going to name names, of course...

The MSUC missed some cues, for sure. But compared to other mod communities out there, the Unreal set is more or less by far the most original.

And you know, we all would love to see tons of players. I'm still scratching my head on that one to this day. Through odd means, I've got the ECE DVD. It was great to have all these mods pre-installed. They're all great mods. Why are they still underplayed? I don't know. But I'm not sure what either Epic or the mod teams could have done more to fix it. At some point, it's on the community's shoulders to play this stuff, bro.

But seriously, I'm staying out of this one. Honestly.

15. LauZaIM

LauZaIM i think he's afk..

Its all about the Benjamins

You keep saying that these mod teams are acting like something they aren't but they keep advancing..If you sit back and watch, you get nowhere. Just something to keep in mind. The community is changing, and there is better opportunities to make big bucks now...if you want to make a small mod that is just for the game, no money invovled DO IT!..If you plan on forming a pro-dev team to make a living then wtf DO IT!..its all here, you just have to use it right to get what YOU want. And bsing at those who choose to make money isn't going to help you. Hell let them be "pro-devs", I want to see some good mods and if they "think" their good they'll work harder. But if they think they're badass thats a different story.

"Live and let die"

-John

16. MrGlock

MrGlock Viva Action Unreal Tournament!

This seems to have become derailed so I would just like to express my happiness for the RO team and wish them luck.

Daedeelus, would it have been so to hard just have congratulated the team then expressed you concern for the modding community as a result of the MSUC in a more suitable thread? I think its unfair to distract from what the team managed to do, regardless of you opinion of the mod, as a modder you should appreciate the quality and time they obviously put into it. I hate all these WWII games and mods, they just seem stale and dull to me but I acknowledge talent and hard work when I see it, regardless of its motives.

Damn, now you got me ranting!

17. Desp2/ROG

Desp2/ROG New Member

Look even if this new studio does not make it… Which depends largely on pure dedication of the team more so than money, I am sure many companies have a good eye on those talented individuals. And with due time these people will eventually make the future games together or separate.

I do not see Tacops as a failed attempt. I saw it as a door way for many talented people in that group. The few who dedicated countless hours on that mod turned retail are now working in good to amazing game companies that many game designer would love to be in.

Tacops crew that has made it in…

Rich Eastwood (Akuma)- DE

Stuart Fitzsimons (Stu-man)- Epic

Laurent Delayen (Shag)- Epic

Jeff Geis (Max3D)- Epic and now with other companies.

And good few others… That work a Ubisoft for example.

Point is at least from this one project it has given a great opportunity to move on to bigger and better things. It is not a failed project.

Some of the key people prepared after the retail release of TO and decided it was time to get into this more professionally either together or alone. It happened in some cases that it was alone… In some it happened it was together because Stuart Fitzsimons, Laurent Delayen, Jeff Geis, and others worked on UT2K4 on site. That was more of a coincidence more than anything but at the same time not… because we already had some sense of how to work with each other so that is why Epic saw it very convenient to hire some of us for the UT2K4 project.

More than anything what the RO and TO team have both in common is dedication till the end.

I hope the best of luck to you guys :D

18. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

While I agree with you, and also think that doing yet another fraking WW2 game is way beyond stupid, you should consider how Unreal itself started

Digital Extremes was just that at the beginning. Talented people recruited from all over the world working on a single game. For a long time they never saw each other face to face.
    However it at the end it became necessary to develop it in a real office, so everyone moved to Canada for about a year

But yeah, it's a waste of a perfectly good liscene. Why use popularity to promote an original idea, when treading the beaten path is easier...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  19. GayLord

GayLord Guest

20. Mix

Mix So Fresh and So Clean

I can see where Daedalus is coming from. You can't shake a stick without hitting some 'studio' that tries to promote themselves as 'professional'. My own group did such a good job at it when we were promoting our first Heretic 2 mod that many gaming sites thought we were licensees, which resulted in us getting an email from a producer at Activision... but I digress.

However, the RO Team (or now Tripwire) deserves to form an LLC and make a go at this. They really can't be called posers because they have survived the MSUC (whether you like it or not) and came out on top. In fact, Any of the finalists in the MSUC deserve a chance to produce something for the commercial market. If the mods they made in their spare time were that good, I can only imagine that given the right resources, decent retail games could be made. Speaking as a modder who put out a 'half-assed' release, any team that displays that level of dedication should get a little slack from the rest of us.