1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Recruiting coders

Discussion in 'Jailbreak General' started by tarquin, Mar 22, 2006.

1. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Before we can start any sort of recruitment process, we need to make sure of a few things:

* how easy is it to get hold of our source code from CVS?
    * how easy is it to get access to the JDN?

Both those things go through Mych. if he's not responding, we need to kick him harder & assign management of those to someone else.

* is there a clear list of issues a new coder could tackle? joining an existing project can be like walking into an office with papers & post-its all over, and you don't know where to begin
    * Oh, and where are Mych and Wormbo anyway? Are they still our lead coders, or have they been absent for so long that we need to think about someone else who can review proposed changes to the code? And who?

2. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

I can help, since I coded for JB already it would be easier for me to start.

P.S. Another 2 great coders seem to leave the community, I hope not forever. FYI I know only 4 great coders: Mych, Wrombo Usaar33 and el muerte.

3. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Cool!
    Like I said, I'm not sure there's a clear list of things for new coders to get involved with. You can be our test subject ... ;) let me know what I need to do to make easier to get started.

Jailbreak was extremely lucky to have two of them :D

4. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Theres a list of fixes to the main code that jrubzeknf listed somewhere, most likely the JB2004c thread, there are also a few addons that could do with some coding.

I could put together a list of things that need to be done, in all shapes and forms, I could list all the unfished maps that could be finished.

ALso I think a thread where we can put part finished stuff (muts, addons, maps) Say for example we don't have time to finish it we could pass it on to someone else, people could also then mix and match bits of maps to save time, ie I have 2-3 bits of map, some more done than others, (see JB-Agitation)

I know Jrubzeknf is keen on getting his teeth into the main code, but is waiting on Mych from this, think he also needs a bit of help with replication (waiting for him to confirm this :p) _Lynx, Tarquin, how are you with replication?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  5. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

well, JBAddonOvertimeLastChance was my first work with replication =). The things I mostly work on are server-side, so Ihad no use to deal with replication there.

BTW - Don't you think it is time to look through the urrent JBCode and prepare some content that is abstract from UT2004 codebase (I mean derives from persitent UEngine classes and that will be in UE3) for porting over to UT2007? That will allow to get JB up and running on UT007 in lesser time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  6. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Ah ok, ;)

I *don't* think we can do anything here until Mych passes on access for the source code, but am not 100% sure.
    In theory it shouldn't be a huge amount of work transfering it across, but I am pretty sure that can't happen to some of us have UT2007....
    I think JB2004c is priority over planning JB2007, JB2007 could probs be essential a quick transfer straight across to the new improoved engine, perhaps one of the older members can comment on how much of a change there was between UE1 and UE2?

7. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

/me ph34rs replication

8. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

Bring it on

9. mdavis

mdavis New Member

I am available if you guys need new coders. I may only have a few months of experience working with uscript, but with my programming experience, I think I can contribute. Maybe if you guys have some simple things to change, I can start with those. And, replication is a shady area for me still.

10. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Hello! I've not even made a recruitment announcement and already someone new! :D Cool!

Alrighty... here's what we've got:

* a forum with a list of known bugs: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=386
    * a thread with a lot of suggestions
    * several half-done Add-on projects (such as the Get Out of Jail card, and so on -- drawing up a list of all of these would be useful, The_Head)
    * The JDN, a very good reference to all our existing code. This also has a list of known bugs
    * A CVS repository of our code.

Unfortunately, I've just tried to access the JDN and it's not there.
    The JDN and the CVS are both on Mych's own PC.
    I'm going to send Mych an email about this.
    Sexmachine, do you have Mych's real-life contact, eg phone? Could you try asking him what the state of his server is? If he doesn't want to host the stuff any more, we can perhaps find another team member willing to do this, or get BU to host it.

11. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I got some webspace, but its a bit dodgy at times, might be best to have it on BeyondUnreal if needed, I can always put a backup on my webspace.

I'l make up a list of maps + addons later, long time since I thought of the Get out of Jail free card :)

The form link you posted, I don't have privalges to get onto it, who does actually have priveilages for it + how to we go about getting them?

PS, whats a CVS repository? :p (or is that a posh name for the source code?)

12. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

It's a locked forum. Sorry, I assumed you had access.
    Give me a list of all forum users who need access to the Jailbreak developer boards, & I'll ask the BU staff to grant it.

A CVS repository is a thingy that stores all the code. It keeps track of revisions, who changed what, and so on: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/CVS

13. mdavis

mdavis New Member

Hey tarquin, once I get access, I'll go ahead and have a look at the bug list and start form there. Also, are we able to use WinCVS to connect to the repository?

14. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Yeah, WinCVS will work, and Unreal Wiki has stuff about how to use it.
    But TortoiseCVS is far nicer. Try that :)

15. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I'd like Access, I know that Jrubzeknf wants access, dunno about any others though, they will have to come post themselves ;)
    I've got a basic idea on coding, could maybe take a peek at some simple code whenever I have a bit of free time.

CVS looks like a very handy bit of kit ;)

-------------------
    edit:
    wow double teleposted ;)

16. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

I've requested forum access for The_Head, Jrubzeknf, mdavis.

17. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

One big-assed thread coming right at ya!

18. Ikkuh

Ikkuh Phear the nades

Is the development forum coding only? If it also has mapping, can I get access too? :) if not then don't bother me ;)

It's great that JB gets some life blown into it again :D

19. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Taking over the world.

The development forum is for all aspects of Jailbreak. Generally used for official stuff ie that which is included in the release versions of JB.

It's not generally used for use user-made maps. :)

20. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

You guys are in.