Reality is like a video game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
So basically what's going on is, reality is actually occurring in the 2 dimensional region at the edge of the universe, and also in the 3 dimensional region where you and I are obliviously typing away at our computers. Everything I'm doing right now is also happening billions of light years away, on some cosmic screen. Reality is a 2D representation of a 3D object. I remember reading about that in Discover magazine. Interesting stuff.

On a related note, I'll see you in 44 minutes...

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
So basically what's going on is, reality is actually occurring in the 2 dimensional region at the edge of the universe, and also in the 3 dimensional region where you and I are obliviously typing away at our computers. Everything I'm doing right now is also happening billions of light years away, on some cosmic screen. Reality is a 2D representation of a 3D object. I remember reading about that in Discover magazine. Interesting stuff.

That's more or less the idea.

On a related note, I'll see you in 44 minutes...

?

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008

I watched the other 4 parts. Each part is 10 minutes long except for the last which is 4 minutes long.:D

EDIT: Just looked up "Holographic Principal" on Wikipedia. The actual concept is much, much more complicated than they explained in the episode. Just try to process this sentence:

In a larger and more speculative sense, the theory suggests that the entire universe can be seen as a two-dimensional information structure "painted" on the cosmological horizon, such that the three dimensions we observe are only an effective description at macroscopic scales and at low energies.

Assuming your brain hadn't exploded from that, one thing I noticed about this theory is that the same thing can be observed when you start up a game on your PC or console. What you see looks 3D, but it's actually 2D on your screen. Additionally, the game is made up of code, but you don't see the code, just the computer models and other game behavior, and yet the observable parts of the game and the code inside are both the same information. So basically, when you translate this into the real world, the entire universe appears to resemble a massive quantum computer program.

And on top of that, what's to say that the dark matter in our universe isn't actually here but way out there in the quantum screen? We can't see dark matter/energy and we can't detect it, so that would mean it's not here, but out there.

BLEARGH, my brain hurts >_<

Last edited:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
So in reality this entire world we live in is actually just some big redstone circuit someone made in minecraft.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Been watching that program for quite some time. Really interesting this bit, not easy to digest but that makes it more fun.

What if, what if and what if.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I thought that series looked really dumb. Just a way for Morgan Freeman to cash in on his voice.

Looked like I was right. ;)

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Carl Sagan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

Morgan Freeman is not required to know what he's talking about, he's just the narrator. I can tell you that the stuff in the videos is true, just watered down a bit for people to somewhat grasp. Michio Kaku wouldn't work because he doesn't have a good "narrator voice," not to mention he's only ever appeared in interviews.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I can tell you that the stuff in the videos is true, just watered down a bit for people to somewhat grasp.

LOL, no. A lot of that stuff is just theories, ones that I don't particularly care for. Especially in the way they pass it off. Freeman isn't being a passive narrator in this series, so yes, he should be required to understand this stuff. Dr. Kaku has an awesome voice and way of talking and he's been featured in tons of these shows. Not exactly the main narrator, but he talks about all of the questions posted and contributes a ton.

No, because he deals in string theory, besides, Morgan Freeman is best narrator ever, even if his lines are manufactured. You racist?

String Theory cannot be tested, and therefore isn't exactly scientific.

Sagan and Kaku are(or were) both studied plenty in the Cosmos, it doesn't matter what ones focus or interest is currently in. Freeman is only good for certain movies. Some he sucks in, like The Bucket List. In fact I think he's mis-used as a narrator, everything after Shawshank Redemption feels like they are just going off of that feeling. I like him as an actor though.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
BLEARGH, my brain hurts >_<
don't think about it too hard.
most of that stuff is highly conceptual and only based on speculative mathematical models.

just because they are theorizing on one particular tangent doesn't actually mean that's the way things are.

also,
Michio Kaku wouldn't work because he doesn't have a good "narrator voice," not to mention he's only ever appeared in interviews.
that's not true.
Michio has narrated a host of science programs. he doesn't just do interviews.