1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Reality is like a video game

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zur, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

2. KillerSkaarj

KillerSkaarj Art for swans is dope!

So basically what's going on is, reality is actually occurring in the 2 dimensional region at the edge of the universe, and also in the 3 dimensional region where you and I are obliviously typing away at our computers. Everything I'm doing right now is also happening billions of light years away, on some cosmic screen. Reality is a 2D representation of a 3D object. I remember reading about that in Discover magazine. Interesting stuff.

On a related note, I'll see you in 44 minutes...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

That's more or less the idea.

?

4. lovebug

lovebug New Member

I heard the word 'black hole' and stopped watching :p

5. KillerSkaarj

I watched the other 4 parts. Each part is 10 minutes long except for the last which is 4 minutes long.:D

EDIT: Just looked up "Holographic Principal" on Wikipedia. The actual concept is much, much more complicated than they explained in the episode. Just try to process this sentence:

Assuming your brain hadn't exploded from that, one thing I noticed about this theory is that the same thing can be observed when you start up a game on your PC or console. What you see looks 3D, but it's actually 2D on your screen. Additionally, the game is made up of code, but you don't see the code, just the computer models and other game behavior, and yet the observable parts of the game and the code inside are both the same information. So basically, when you translate this into the real world, the entire universe appears to resemble a massive quantum computer program.

And on top of that, what's to say that the dark matter in our universe isn't actually here but way out there in the quantum screen? We can't see dark matter/energy and we can't detect it, so that would mean it's not here, but out there.

BLEARGH, my brain hurts >_<

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. inferyes

inferyes Spaced In

So in reality this entire world we live in is actually just some big redstone circuit someone made in minecraft.

7. KillerSkaarj

God gets bored too sometimes. :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  8. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Been watching that program for quite some time. Really interesting this bit, not easy to digest but that makes it more fun.

What if, what if and what if.

9. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

oh yeah i watched all that series... just leaves me thinking humanity doesn't know too much. scientists are overpaid :D

10. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

I thought that series looked really dumb. Just a way for Morgan Freeman to cash in on his voice.

Looked like I was right. ;)

11. NeoNite

Well, ffs, who did you want instead? Danny de vito?

12. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

hell no... Jim Carrey!!

13. NeoNite

Yeah, or Mark Wallbregh.. eh burgh.. walsomething.

14. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

Ignorance is bliss, non?

15. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Uhh... Dr. Michio Kaku or Carl Sagan or someone who knows wtf they're talking about,,:mad:lol

16. KillerSkaarj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

Morgan Freeman is not required to know what he's talking about, he's just the narrator. I can tell you that the stuff in the videos is true, just watered down a bit for people to somewhat grasp. Michio Kaku wouldn't work because he doesn't have a good "narrator voice," not to mention he's only ever appeared in interviews.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  17. Vaskadar

Vaskadar It's time I look back from outer space

No, because he deals in string theory, besides, Morgan Freeman is best narrator ever, even if his lines are manufactured. You racist?

String Theory cannot be tested, and therefore isn't exactly scientific.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  18. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

You thought they were talking about your favourite 'club' didn't you?

;)

19. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

LOL, no. A lot of that stuff is just theories, ones that I don't particularly care for. Especially in the way they pass it off. Freeman isn't being a passive narrator in this series, so yes, he should be required to understand this stuff. Dr. Kaku has an awesome voice and way of talking and he's been featured in tons of these shows. Not exactly the main narrator, but he talks about all of the questions posted and contributes a ton.

Sagan and Kaku are(or were) both studied plenty in the Cosmos, it doesn't matter what ones focus or interest is currently in. Freeman is only good for certain movies. Some he sucks in, like The Bucket List. In fact I think he's mis-used as a narrator, everything after Shawshank Redemption feels like they are just going off of that feeling. I like him as an actor though.

20. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

don't think about it too hard.
    most of that stuff is highly conceptual and only based on speculative mathematical models.

just because they are theorizing on one particular tangent doesn't actually mean that's the way things are.

also,
    that's not true.
    Michio has narrated a host of science programs. he doesn't just do interviews.