1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Realism. THE EFFECTS.

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by [amel_#umper, May 26, 2001.

1. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

I wonder what camel burgers taste like.

2. LCJr.

LCJr. New Member

Like chicken of course:)

3. Wrathgar STEALTH

Wrathgar STEALTH New Member

I play this cuz I'm sick of playing games where you just point, click. and watch guys blow up and splat all over the walls. Also this is my way of satisfying my hunger of weapons (until I join rifle team at my high school) without ppl thinking im the next Columnbine Killer.

Now, If you think the parties in here (INF), then WAVE YOUR M9's IN THE AIR, AND WAVE'M LIKE YOU JUST DONT CARE!!!!!:cool: :D :cool:

4. BrownCow

BrownCow I Heart Gnat.

I don't get it. I don't understand what is "realistic" in inf at all. Guns? Ok the guns might be realistic in how much ammo they hold ect.. You have to aim? You jump like a normal person? You have stamina?! WOW! ultra realistic!! You aim in every game. You have ammo in plain jane ut. You even reload in plain jane ut with the enforcer.

Gun damage? No. People try to kill themselves everyday with shotguns and some survive. I've seen many photos of some guy who tried to blow off his head with a shotgun and lived. Another good example. Tupac. He took numerous shots in the chest and lived. In inf you die from 2 or 3, maybe 4 if you lucky. There are WAY more examples i could use, but i don't need more.

So we have estabilished that damage in inf is not too realistic. Considering everyone jumps the same, has the same physical characteristcs. Then there is the lack of value for your life. No feelings at all. Feelings are what make things real. When your teammate dies in inf, you don't care. You just keep playing.

The reason inf is a good game is because of how it handles. It looks nice. Has some neat maps. People play it for that reason. So when you tell someone to go play cs you are just blurting out that you fail to see why the game is good to begin with.

I dont' care if they make inf more realistic. From what i understand of your idea of "realism" inf will never be anything close. You want your idea of realism. Not it actually to be realistic in the correct sense of the word. Which is fine with me. That means inf will retain it's fun factor and not go stupid.

Variety, emotions, individualism are what make life real. Inf pretty much lacks all 3, with the exception of a few items.. aiming, reflexes. But that is only a few things.

Inf is a game folks. It will never be anything more. So don't bash people that don't understand what you mean when you say realistic.. You don't mean realistic, you mean some wacky version of it.

Should just call it "inflistic". No one would get confused.

5. Mad_Dog

Mad_Dog Voice Of Reason

i dunno if you have established anything... the team and their firearms experts (gryphon, shakken) know what they are doing when it comes to ballistics etc. tupac may have survived numerous shots, but that is an exception to the rule...

6. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

Another browncow provocative post :rolleyes:

7. itskeiagain

itskeiagain Adept

lol

that's pretty deep, BrownCow!!
    :D

8. Mason

Mason Self appointed voice of reason

Brown Cow, it took that many shots to kill Tupac because the morons doing the firing weren't trained soldiers! Special forces groups drop almost EVERY target with a simple 'double tap' to the head, or a three round burst to 'center mass'. The fact that it took THAT many shots to kill Tupac shows just how inept his assailants were. As for people living when they try to kill themselves, this is usually due to last minute 'twitching' as the weapon is fired. These are exceptions to the rule, they do not prove anything. The damage system in Infiltration is the most realistic of ANY UT mod out there at this time(and I currently play SF and have played TO and a few others as well). Cow, you have established nothing.

The reason Infiltration is a good game is precisely because it strives for more realism, if it didn't, it would merely be another 'Strike Force' or 'Counter Strike'(not that these are bad games, but if you want to see 'unrealistic' aiming and damage..). I WANT accurate weapon models, ballistics, and damage. I WANT one or two well placed shots to kill. I WANT to see people carrying one, maybe two weapons instead of running around with every weapon the game has to offer. I like the realism, and so do the majority of people who play Infiltration...if they didn't they would be off playing SF, TO, or CS (although it appears that SF is starting to turn down the 'realism' road a bit more).

/me breathes heavey after ranting....
    Sorry, I'm just a bit tired of the 'what's so great about being realistic' banter.

9. Zundfolge

Zundfolge New Member

I thought Tupac died?

I don't think he's the best example of someone "surviving" a GSW :p

10. Mason

Tupac is a pretty good example of the ineptitude of todays criminals when it comes to shooting, thank God. Oooh, and I just looove that 'gangsta' style of shooting! Can you even hit anything shooting like that?!

11. BrownCow

BrownCow I Heart Gnat.

And you thought that last post was long..

mad dog
    Exceptions are part of what makes life realistic. Inf has no exceptions on anything. Why can you not break your leg if you fall from so high? It only takes off damage.. what about your ability to move? Just more examples on the lack of realism.

Zundfolge
    Tupac didn't die when he took (I believe it was 7 but not 100% sure, i'm not a fan) bullets to the chest. His death was a whole different shooting. Only reason i know of this is because Tupac was a celeb. I'm sure there are plenty of normal everyday people that have had the same thing happen. We just don't know about it cuz they aren't a celeb.

Mason
    Trained special forces? Gangs exist because our cops can't handle them. It doesn't take a trained solider to hit a guy in the chest at point blank. I think the countless school shootings show that pretty damn well. Aparently a CHILD can even operate a gun enough to kill the masses. Special forces my ass.. You totally missed the point of the tupac example.

"most realistic of ANY UT mod out there at this time" big deal, that isn't saying anything at all. I've played strike force, for bout 5 min, but reguardless i played it. How is SF considered a "realism mod"? Or even TO? INF is way better IMO then SF and TO because of the controls, how the aiming works, the look. INF isn't better because of the aiming being more realistic. It has nothing to do with that. INF is good because it was made well. Period.

"Sorry, I'm just a bit tired of the 'what's so great about being realistic' banter." There is nothing great about being realistic. That is why you are playing a video game.

What i'm tired of is people telling others to go play other mods. You don't understand why people play inf if you are saying that. INF is not for realistism freaks. If you are a realistic freak, go buy a shotgun from your local sporting goods store and start shooting up people left and right. That is realistic. You can even lean and go prone withough having to worry about being unhitable or invisible. no more complaining!! yay!!

It would be interesting if someone could actually make a list of things that are realistic in INF. I'd be very curious what you consider realistic. Then if that list is made, I'll make a list 10x longer with all the unrealistic aspects of it.

Once again, because morons will be reading this, keep your "then why do you play" **** away from me. I never once said inf was bad. You assume that because you are, as stated above, a moron.

12. itskeiagain

itskeiagain Adept

"Realistic" and "real" are two different things, you know. That's why I play video games.

13. BrownCow

BrownCow I Heart Gnat.

Of or relating to the representation of objects, actions, or social conditions as they actually are.

That is the defination of "realistic" according to a dictionary.

I understand your point. But why not just cut to the chase and go out and do it for real? The answer is because it isn't fun. So what makes you think it will be fun when it is in the game? A realistic war simulator would surely have emotions and feelings. Even a destructive environment. At least acording to the defination of the word. Maybe "realistic" isn't the correct term for a video game? Maybe inf should be "realistic gun simulator" since that is all it seems to do realisticly.

14. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

Actually, prior to his murder, Tupac had taken 5 rounds to the chest and survived. On the topic of gangstas not knowing how to shoot, from a distance of 20 feet or less, it is more of a battle of luck and instincts than anything. Also, one kid at my school was fired at 16 times from a range of 15 feet, and was hit 12. He lived, but barely. The only trouble with INF's damage system is that it isn't completely implemented yet. That's why 5 shots will almost certainly take you down.

15. itskeiagain

itskeiagain Adept

You are right BrownCow, in the game there's no real consequenses to your action, and that is why I like playing games that simulate the real world(to a certain extent, mostly visually). I like playing driving sims that have cops chasing me for the very reason. I get caught, I don't care. I crash into other cars, hell, that's some awesome crash!! I restart. Same with INF.

INF is probably as real as I want a game to get without my emotion and sensation getting involved. Otherwise, I don't wanna play it. It'll be too freaky.:D

16. Dr.Dase

Dr.Dase New Member

Brown_Cow, the reason realism is fun, is that it simulates the real world, without the reprocussions that exists in real life. Sure, you can go out shoot ppl if you want to, but you will probably end up dead or in jail. Do this in a game, and when it's over you just shrug and go get something to eat or whatever. See the difference? Computer games are about fun. For some ppl, fun includes simulating the real world, doing things you're not willing to do in real life. Such as shooting ppl, getting shot, jumping of 10 story buildings etc. Some ppl don't care about games being similar to real life, but instead like the different approach of arcade style gaming.

IMO, Infiltration should to the upmost extent try to emulate real world combat, as much as possible on a home computer. Sure, i would love to use virtual reality equipment etc, but that's just wishful thinking. And, as the world is flooded with Counter Strike, Quake 3 Arena etc, there is just no really good online realism games, and this is where Infiltration fits in. Why make a copy of Counter Strike? It's already there, play it if you like it, but if you don't, where are the alternatives?

I hail the Inf team for doing something different, something REAL!

17. Mason

Hey 'Cow', I did not miss the friggin' ppoint of your example. My point is that most of these 'kids' probably had some shooting experience, either from target shooting or hunting, Tupacs assailants just sucked, it was 'run and gun', the kids with guns in school had all the time in the world to shoot(metaphorically speaking, that is), AND they were just shooting at people, not one person in particular. Your point is that the damage isn't realistic, my point is that you don't know what you're talking about. Any 'trained' shooter would've dropped that worthless peice of crap with 2, 3 shots, max! The fact that it took so many means they suck with the weapons they used..or maybe they were using that oh-so-effective 'gangsta' style of shooting. God, he's been dead how long? ..and we STILL can't get rid of Tupac! I understand there is a bit of luck involved, but don't you think if a hired 'hitman' were doing the job, Tupac would've been dead with one-two shots max? Soldiers are TRAINED to aim better and kill more effectively.

..and I NEVER said to ANYONE to go play SF, TO, or CS...what say you go back and actually READ my post before lecturing me on what I actually said?

List of realistic stuff(as compared to other games/mods using UT):
    Leaning
    Iron sight aiming
    Weapon sounds
    Weapons in Inf. are, for the most parts, used by many more military forces than ones in other mods..
    Character models and camos.(hats, helmets, face camo, etc.)
    'Speed' of the game(closer to real life than other mods)
    One or two good shots WILL kill you most of the time.
    Prone position(although now SF will have it as well)
    The 'laser' sight
    ...those are what I can think of at the moment, anyone else please chime in..

...and I just KNOW that now there is going to be a list of what's NOT realistic...

I want 'simuated' realism, every kid plays 'war'...but now instead of yelling "I got you", "did not", "did too", etc..you know when you 'got' your target. If we, as gamers, did not want realism, why do you think some of the most played games are racing and flying sims? ..not to mention 'The Sims', 'Rollercoaster Tycoon', Civilization, and the like...but naah, we don't want realism, we only want a video game.

:cool:

18. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

As I know INF will be more and more realist. So you will hate more and more INF [​IMG]

19. BrownCow

BrownCow I Heart Gnat.

I agree.. So i don't understand the whole "lets make it as realistic as possible" thing. Just doesn't make sense to me i guess. I'm a cow, what do you expect?

20. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

I expect you to get on my barbecue and stop yelling when the guests arive

:D