Real Simple Mod Request - Snowboards!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MezzanineMKII

Feb 8, 2005
OK... here's the deal...

I'm fairly new in the UT2004 community, but I've been modding for various games since Duke3D up through the Quake series, and I've dabbled a lot in mapping for the Unreal series. I've got a bunch of great ideas for maps, especially some CTF maps, and all I need is this:

Snowboards

Simply, a mutator that allows the players to whip out some really really simple looking snowboard to fly down hills. This would require a new vehicle, with which I have ZERO experience, yet it seems like it would be easy for any decent programmer out there. Just let the player ride down the hill, shoot his normal weapons as is, jump if he has to, and steer with 'a' and 'd', possibly slowing himself down with the back key. That's it. No fancy graphics, no tricks, just a way to get down a big snowy hill and shoot on the way down.

Anybody up to this task will have one personal map monkey for, oh, a few years, plus anything else I can do in repayment. Thanks!

MezzanineMKII

Feb 8, 2005
Umm... no.

OK - thought I should clarify a bit. I'm looking to use this mutator idea to make some CTF and maybe ONS maps. If someone has at least a hint or a programming tidbit idea on how to accomplish this, that would be welcome as well... I AM willing to try and mod this myself, but I've absolutely no experience in vehicle programming, so I wondered if anyone had any pointers, that's all.

MezzanineMKII

Feb 8, 2005
[SAS]Solid Snake said:
You know, you say this is easy yet you have no experience in the field. Isn't it possible that the reason why it isn't out there right now is because it isn't very easy to do?

Yes it is very possible.

I have experience with coding, just not with vehicle coding. Judging from other projects and such, it seems to me this kind of item would be on the simple side for coding. I don't know that for sure, that's why I'm asking here. If it's going to be a whole load of work getting that working, and I hear that from someone who's IN the field, then that's all I'm looking for.

MezzanineMKII

Feb 8, 2005
No, I believe you... I've been digging through tutorials and such, and although I think I've got a start, it looks like it could get hairy. Thanks for your input though, mate... guess I should cut my teeth on this stuff first, yeah? :)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
The main issue is this,
shoot his normal weapons as is
. It is the way vehicles work inheriently is that when you jmp in a vheicle you effectively 'hide' the player pawn and the player controller then controls the vehicle directly by adjusting the Throttle/Steering and other values for other vehicles (i.e the jump function in the manta). Thus normally, player's are not allow to use the weapons they are holding or have on them as well as do other player pawn related functions. While in the context of a mod is possible since you get a chance to rewrite some of the problematic functions/states, it isn't generally allowed to do that with a mutator.

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
[SAS]Solid Snake said:
The main issue is this, . It is the way vehicles work inheriently is that when you jmp in a vheicle you effectively 'hide' the player pawn and the player controller then controls the vehicle directly by adjusting the Throttle/Steering and other values for other vehicles (i.e the jump function in the manta). Thus normally, player's are not allow to use the weapons they are holding or have on them as well as do other player pawn related functions. While in the context of a mod is possible since you get a chance to rewrite some of the problematic functions/states, it isn't generally allowed to do that with a mutator.

I think snowboards is a great idea, although I believe it may be easier to program a mutator that lets you slide around on your feet than trying to do a vehicle.