1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Read this to see that Epic goofed up.

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Lavama, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Lavama

Lavama New Member

Now Many of you know Epic hade Malcom as a MEMBERof the team Thundercrash in UT.And when you play the Tournament, you will see that only team leaders can play in the finals only, and Othellio was supposed to be the tournament leader.But if this is the way Epic wanted it, then why?

2. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

what?

/is lost

3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Wandering spirit

Erm...Okay. I think I understand what you're saying, Lavama, but I'm not sure. You're really saying it doesn't make much sense that Malcolm is the big guy in UT2003 and UT2004, since he couldn't have outpassed his team captain (Othello) in UT99...right?

If so, then I guess it probably involves some "story"* with Othello being killed by Xan, Malcolm being extremely pissed at Xan for this and therefore killing him, which conveniently made him champion of UT in the process.

*perhaps "chain of clich├ęs" better describes the average First Person Shooter...that's just my opinion, though

4. Lavama

Lavama New Member

Well, Othellio is in UT 2004.This is really confusing me why Epic did this.

5. Mobius

Mobius The All Seeing...

Well, if you're talking story - it's confusing to me how anyone could 'die'. I mean, people die many times a match and respawn. But when you respawn, you can see your old corpse if you get there fast enough. This implies to me that they reassemble your body using other molecules and that new form gets your old consciouness somehow. Raises thorny philosophical issues about the soul and the afterlife... or maybe I'm just playing too much.

6. m&ms

m&ms Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.

Nope, there's not 'Othellio'. There is an 'Othello', however.

7. KenjiE20

KenjiE20 Member

Cloning vats for the win... I swear they were mentioned at some point...

8. Olga

Olga Miffed

Well if you play Unreal 2, which is a horrible game btw, you can fight some guy in a VR deathmatch at the beginning of the game. So, I assume UT is just advanced VR based on Unreal's "real life".

Otherwise it's something strange like cloning; or the gameplay is not really what happens in the tournament, and people only die rarely. When they get harmed enough that they can't fight anymore, the battle is over. When this happens, they get their limbs cloned, and they get healed.

UT's story is dumb anyways.

9. Mobius

Mobius The All Seeing...

Yeah, I played unreal 2 - I remember that. I figured it was just VR until I thought about the fmv intro to 2k3, where it seemed like the teams actually teleported to the arena.

10. Shadowfury333

Shadowfury333 Demon Hunter Elite

Yes, especially after they get 3 rockets in the chest, i.e. nothing but splatter.

11. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

I'm sure hes talking about the UT2004 ladder. For the 3 "Godlike"-level teams (Thundercrash, Corrupt, and Iron Skull), in single player, you weren't supposed to play the teams with the 'Captains' (Malcolm, Clanlord, Xan) till the tournament finals (Supposedly Malcolm would recover from his injury by the finals, Xan decided to sit out of the early rounds, and Clanlord Hadn't arrived yet because they thought they didn't need him).

The 'goof' is that, even though Xan, Malcolm, and Clanlord weren't supposed to be in the 'early rounds', you still play them with their team in the 'Early rounds'.

I'm probably not making much sense to anyone, but it's worth a try.

12. Venuswarrior1221

Venuswarrior1221 Where there is the Force there is death.

I think that the Tournament is a combo of consiciousness-transfer, cloning technology and VR; The clones are the one playing in the Tournament, not the originial person, but they has the original person's mind etched into the neuron pathways, enough to actually be THE person, not just another mindless and useless clone.

13. TraCK

TraCK Amateur Sketch

Cloning is a stupid crutch too many sci fi themed stories use. I don't think they really explained how it worked anywhere cuz they know traditional cloning is a stupid and tired idea.

14. soyrico

soyrico New Member

teleporters damnit,
    thundercrash was a N.E.G. millitary force in ut+ut2003+ut2004+uc but now in uc2 they are only a tournament team without jakob and all of the others and it had saphhire?
    brock got killed by gorge after lauren killed herself afterwards but that was before ut2004 in uc, between the events of ut2004 and ut2007,now they're necris?
    saphhire used to have black hair and be on the mercenary race,but now she has blonde hair and is no longer with the mercenaries(i forgot the team name)and cheats?gorge used to have brown hair but now red?
    and whats up with malcolm pitiful attemp to speak like a young person on the battle field but sound completely
    different voice and behavior off(is that racist or one of those crappy teen lingo books?)?
    and that DID NOT sound like raiden

and whas up with less people in the uc2 qualifying for the tournament but more than that actualy in the tournament in ut2007 jakob wasn't there,where is thunder crash they qualified?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006