1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[READ] The Infiltration Forums: YOUR THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by HanD_of_DarKNesS, Sep 21, 2001.

1. HanD_of_DarKNesS

HanD_of_DarKNesS Evil Bastard

Hello Everyone,

In many threads over the past few months, I have read some of you complaining about the current state of the Infiltration forums.

I agree that this place needs to make some changes. We are losing members to infighting, losing potential new members who don't like the hostility on these forums, and are slowly killing INFILTRATION itself.

Don't believe that last statement? It's true. If the community starts to crumble, it won't matter how awesome the mod is. No one will be playing it. And if we don't have a regular flow on fresh blood, the mod can't really grow properly and get the recognition it deserves.

As such, I am asking everyone on these forums with a voice on this matter, to make that voice heard. Please, let us know what you see wrong with the current state of this community, and what you think should be done to fix things here.

I will be monitoring this thread. I will not let it degenerate into flames as so many other threads here do. Please, let's keep to the topic at hand and refrain from making things worse here in this thread that is trying to see the problems corrected.

Thanks,
    -Shawn S. Altorio

2. Profe

Profe Posts: 918,731

I havent encountered so many hostilities in this forums, maybe I havent been paying too much attention but I find that the people in this forums are rather peacefull compared to other communities, with some exceptions of course. I like it here.:)

3. Dragon

Dragon New Member

Well.....

I kind of gave up on this forum long ago. This is the first time I have posted here in about 4-5 months.

It's very hard to get rid of the bad apples once they have fallen into the forum.

Good luck :D

Dragon

4. EndlessInfinity

EndlessInfinity Where is your god now?

This is actually more common sense if anything, but if you are going to flame someone, do it privatly! Just use private messaging, or icq, or messanger, or something else to that extent.

5. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

I almost gave up on the Fourms WED.
    but now I'm still debating if its worth it.

we need more moderation!

this is a private fourm, which has private rules.
    if you don't want to abide by them, you need to be repremanded.

My little idea:

I think there should warnings (2 or more), about behavior. then a suspension for a given period of time(1 week to a month). after 2 or more suspensions, you should be banned.

all warnings, should not be given unless 2 or more mods agree to the warning.

suspensions can only be issues if 3 or more agree.

bans should be a majority vote, if a atleast 3 or more voted for the ban, but did not reach the majority, then the person is banned for 2 months.

as for mods, I think mods should be picked by the INF staff. NOT by the people. This is the Staff's board, and not the members here. We are important, but they made this mod, and they made this fourm, we owe them. not the other way around.

just a idea :hmm:

6. Spetznaz_1

Spetznaz_1 Special-Purpose

When someone makes an incorrect statement about a gun, don't call them stupid, correct them nicely.

I will try to be more polite.

7. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

I see about 2-3 opposing factions on about 2 different fronts here. I don't see how you can "fix" the situation without stepping on the toes of at least one of them.
    It may have to come down to a choice. I don't want to have to make it.

8. DLL

DLL Chrysolyte

I think we need to cut out the "nazi" crap and let the moderators do their jobs.

Moderating is not about being a nazi, it's about keeping the peace.

I've heard the mods voice that they are afraid of being called nazi's when they step in. That fear needs to go away. The members need to respect the moderators and understand that they are the good guys and are performing a service for our community. (EDIT - Zundy, DarkBls, Keiichi... these guys are NOT nazis. They would be the first ones to defend us if they thought our freedom of speech was being threatened)

There is a lot of disprespect in these forums. This needs to be addressed. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you should seek them out and dog them thread after thread after thread.

Keep threads on topic. I hate to single you out Rogue Leader, but I'm gunna use you as an example. ;) Every thread does not have to turn into a "the evils of capitalism" debate. Aeris tribute to the deceased singer comes to mind. I think the mods should be more active in striving to keep threads on topic.

I do not think we have a problem with "n00bs". When n00bs surface, all members of the community unite to correct the situation.

To me the above are minor problems. I like these forums and don't see much wrong with them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2001
  9. DeadEyeNick

DeadEyeNick New Member

Bad eggs are bad eggs, no amount of mods can change that. Deleting or closing threads wouldn't cure em.
    When a member's dignity is under attack, it's natural that he will counter-react. So flames are bound to occur. It really depends on the members themselves IMO.

U leave me alone, I'll leave u alone. Peace.
    Don't feed the Trolls, Wear McMuffin's Flamesuit. :D
    Avoid those unpleasant smilies too, it may gets ur point across but from other perspectives, it is still unpleasant. Some Members will start to think the reply as provocative, and hence reacts.

The members themselves need to be tamed.

10. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

can I get a Hell Yeah?

11. jaymian

jaymian Sweet Merciful Crap!

I don't think there is much that can be done. Just suspensions, and eventual bannings for those who are repeatedly naughty. If you see something that is obviously meant to piss people off and start a flame war, try and refrane yourself, and don't reply. I've done it a few times, and I regret doing it. I can't stand seeing cool people leave because of a few tards. And then there's people who can reply uncensored. It should be all or none. If somebody can bypass the lamer censorship, it needs to be removed, or redone. Honestly, the INF forums are still the best as far as I'm concerned, but they are getting worse. So now I mostly stick to the mapping forum. Good luck with making this a better place, but it will mostly need to come from the community.
    Jaymian

12. McMuffin

McMuffin The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator

I've said this many times...

Theres a simple solution to flames and inane useless posts,

If you don't like something, don't read it.

$2.00 ;)

13. CyanideTriscuit

CyanideTriscuit UScript hack

HELL YEAH!

14. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

Re: I've said this many times...

buy you runinto the people who invade other posts, and change the subject :hmm:

what? are you going to stop reading the thread you started??

15. McMuffin

McMuffin The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator

ignore the flame, and bring it back on topic...

and btw

HELL YEA!

16. CyanideTriscuit

CyanideTriscuit UScript hack

Moderators should not be afraid of doing their job. The majority of the community will and does support them, it's just that the minority that doesn't is extremely vocal. You won't see many of us supporters posting in those nazi-accusation threads, though, because most of us don't want to waste our time in arguments with zealots.

Moderators, I wouldn't touch your job with a 20 ft pole, but I will always cheer you on from the stands.

Now for the normal community members... If you find yourself starting to flame, stop it. Even if they deserve to have every cell in their body burnt to a crisp, just back off. By flaming you double the problem by creating not 1, but 2 idiotic forum inhabitants. If someone posts something incredibly stupid, don't reply. Not even with "." It isn't worth the 3 seconds it takes to type it in, and it bumps the thread up to the top. Just let stupid threads die by taking a quick stroll past slot #40. ;)

17. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

Hell Yeah!

18. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

19. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Hell yeah.

Moderate away.

Perhaps gentle reminders to people to keep their flame wars private might be a decent first step?

20. the vrrc

the vrrc noexistant user

I would like to see moderators step in and stop arguments when they turn into a big insult contest, the moderators need to tell them to cut the crap or... uh, okay, bad english.

I don't care about "Freedom of Speach is being taken away" stuff, moderators need to stop fights and so on. Anyone who calls them a nazi or anything... :stick: