1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE1 - UT Re-Scale entire map?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx, Feb 12, 2010.

1. [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx Member

Is it possible to re-scale the size of all brushes in your map? Without having to edit each brush. I thought I read somewhere where you could reduce the entire map by 25% or what have you. I see a light scale tool in UnrealEd.

2. Chopin

Chopin New Member

You can select a brush and right click and choose "select all brushes" and then right click again and go into properties, and change postscale to .75 (for x, y, and z), then right click one more time and choose transform permenantly. This will scale down all the brushes, but you will still have to re-position all of them since all their centers will still be where they were before and will no longer be aligned with eachother. You'll also have to re-position all of your lights and items and stuff.

3. rmcollins3

rmcollins3 AKA "Doublez-Down"

I've tried using postscale before as well and have very limited results. It's much better to just build the map the right size in the first place (obviously), which is why it's so important to save detail for when the layout is complete (something I often don't do).

4. [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx Member

Thanks for everyones help. Since I have every room grouped it's easy for me to go in one room at a time and re-size every thing. I built the map thinking we still run a server speed at 155 like back in the old days. But since the server speed is 113 or 115 it will just take to long to get around the map. Since I have a few different versions of the map I can check out using postscale see how it works. I'm so used to building GM style maps it's tuff to get the correct scale. I hate hitting my head on stuff in the map.

Attached Files:

• bp1.jpg
      bp1.jpg
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
    • bp2.jpg
      bp2.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    • bp3.jpg
      bp3.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
    • by1.jpg
      by1.jpg
      File size:
      34.9 KB
      Views:
    • by2.jpg
      by2.jpg
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Chopin

Chopin New Member

There are things you can do to make the map faster without necessarily rescaling it. You can put in more teleporters, fast movers, jumppads, etc. Also, anything z-axis-wise can be made faster by changing the zone gravity and/or terminal velocity in your zone properties. In fact, this should be done anyway to make the ant-like feel more realistic.

Judging from your screens it looks like a giant sniper map? I wouldn't be so concerned about the speed, those types of maps are supposed to be slow and contemplative, but adding the things mentioned above could help if you want it faster.

It looks awesome, btw, how did you do the brush work on the human on the couch? Import from 3dsmax?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
  6. War_Master

War_Master Member

This seems to be a UT2k4 map and not a UT99 map.

7. [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx Member

Yes the photos are from a UT2k4 map........Just maps I've built in the past...The questions and thread refer to UT ED 2.0 a UT map I'm currently working on.

8. [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx Member

I was just posting images of a few maps I've built in the past......Sorry for the confusion......The images posted are from a UT2k4 map. Most of the custom content was created in 3-dsmax.......I had quite a collaboration on the map called Bachelor Pad.....I had the famous GM mappers DRM and Shokazulu help me with that map and a few others. Here are some photos of the UT99 map that this post is based on. Please don't judge lighting or texture alignment.....as everything in this map is still under construction.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      89.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      133 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      108.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
  9. [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx Member

More pictures!

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      99.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      125.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      122.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      94.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Chopin

Chopin New Member

Looks pretty solid, and doesn't really look like it needs to be re-scaled judging from the relative size of the shock ammos. I woul d just add a couple fast lifts and a couple pair of jumpboots somewhere, and up the number of long range weapons.

11. [NBK]Rattman

[NBK]Rattman Goo God

Looking Good Mike...

I have played the map and it was way overscaled...I think he's doing all he can to resize it and make it more DM friendly

12. Chopin

Chopin New Member

Well if all else fails you could make it a strangelove arena...