1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RAv286 updates...

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by SexPistol, Aug 4, 2003.

1. SexPistol

SexPistol New Member

wanted to fill those of you who haven't tried the most recent ra286 out for yourself yet in on some updates.

i know that a lot of players left because of the zoom added to this version of RA, so in an attempt to bring some people back and liven up the servers, duke has restricted the zoom in a pretty cool way.

the most recent addition was night vision. there are three different modes: "terminator mode", which tracks the enemy by movement, night vision, and thermal mode. zoom can only be used while in one of these modes. to use night vision, bind "nvision" to a key.

as some of you already know, the players now bleed if hit in a vital area. a teammate can bandage you to stop the bleeding, but you won't regain any life from it. to heal, bind "firstaid" to a key. walk up to the wounded teammate, press your firstaid bind when next to them, then press the use button. you will hear a sigh of relief if done correctly.

climbing is still the same: walk up to the object you want to climb, switch to knife, look up and jump.

m16 now has full auto, and the hk69 now has a "bushwack" mode, which is basically a 40mm (i believe?) shotgun blast. to use, just press activate attachment when carrying the hk69.

the latest version is pretty stable and should be around for a while. it's definitely worth the download, and hopefully some of the new features and revisions will bring some of you back.

thanks guys, and thanks duke/toad!

edit: forgot to mention, the ra286 server shows up as "the official ra286 server" -- i can't tell you the password, but i can tell you that the realism of INF + ra286 kicks the **** out of other realism mods.

subtle enough for you?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  2. recon1337

recon1337 Halo boy

can u please please please give us a link to the .INT and .U file. so the lazy and the technical challenged can try RA286, i fit in the latter. thank you.

3. })FA|Snake

})FA|Snake New Member

ug I want to cry when I see what duke has done to yurch's masterpiece, the RA community was pretty vibrant before this pos took over the PR server, now its all but dead

4. 5eleven

5eleven I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain

Bah.

I find it incredibly interesting that somehow the thought of a different version of Ra has somehow unraveled the RaV2 community. It's just another server and just another version. Yup, that's right folks, you can no longer play RaV2, it's done.

I love Yurch's "masterpiece" as much as the next guy. I can play that as much as I can play regular infiltration or 286. What the hell is the big deal? My grandma likes to play solitaire too, but she won't play it on the computer. So everyone lets her sit on the floor and lay her cards out..........if you do not like this version of RealAim, don't play. No one is holding a gun to your head (pun intended) There are an awful lot of RA servers out there, play on one of them.

It's like hearing that this version isn't realistic.

Okay, I hate to break it to you folks, but this is a game. I have yet to figure out how Duke's version makes it less realistic.

Can you climb in real life? Does a soldier have access to NVG's? Do range finders exist? If caught in the blast radius of a frag or 40mm grenade, do you fall over and die, or is it likely that you might explode and lose some limbs? If you take a hit, you don't seek medical attention? I don't know Yurch at all, and I barely know Duke. Only from getting my ass spanked by him when I get to play against him. But from previous posts, it doesn't seem to me that Yurch is offended by this version, nor does it seem that Duke is trying to one-up or "better" RaV2.

They are not to be compared.

There is RaV2.

There is Ra286.

Two different animals. Both have pluses, both have minuses, both are free and both required a lot of blood, sweat and tears to produce.

And both ARE masterpieces.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or pick a fight Snake, I respect your opinion. But in all honesty, if you don't like it, don't play it.

Remember, it's a GAME!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  5. recon1337

recon1337 Halo boy

great post, hope it'll clear things a bit. but where's the LINK?

6. })FA|Snake

})FA|Snake New Member

easy, its split a small community that was already split along RA/vanilla lines, the resulting split created two groups to small to sustain any kind of life and as a result Its been awhile since i've seen a populated ra server (and no i don't count 2 people as populated).

7. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

no that's because Duke nearly removed all recoil IIRC

edit:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! try searching "gibs" in the New Version Suggestions forum and learn how these things really work ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  8. OpFor

OpFor Feeling suicide, thats O.K.

Heh, well this Ra286 completely flopped in my opinion. It doesnt limit the zoom at all, instead you now have Uber l337 CS goglez to help you pick out the enemy with thermal/terminator vision while zoomed. You can still run and everything. Also, the sprinting/stamina is the same as vannila 2.86. I succesfully completed 5 o 6 jumps in a row while sprinting at about 15km/h. Lol, not even worth the wait to download, I could just play vannila 2.86 and it would still be more realistic and even more fun because the new vision modes make it impossible to hide/snipe etc...

EDIT: the zoom had part of it, too, Freon..I think o_O :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  9. CampersDaz

CampersDaz New Member

Has ra286 still the Duke Nukem sounds?

10. 5eleven

Freon, I took your advice, and did a gib search in the New Version Suggestions thread.

I concede that maybe it was a stretch for me to state that "gibbing" in and of itself is accurate for an M67 or 40mm.

However, I stand by the fact that wound damage closer to or on top of either of those pieces of ordnance would be greater than falling over and croaking. I am certain that limitations in the UT engine don't allow for anything in between. So, I suppose falling over dead or gibbing are the two choices we have. In all honesty, I just like the gibbing better, it looks cooler. :D

Nonetheless, some of the arguments in those threads are extreme, at the least.

And I do know how those things work IRL. I was just commenting that in my opinion the argument isn't really that one version of Infiltration is better than the other, and the argument isn't really realism. What it all comes down to is what version you want to play and what you like to play. As I've noticed in 90% of the posts in the BUForums, reality is relative. :lol:

Snake, I got your point.............but like I said before, people that don't like it don't have to play. I just don't like to see people bashing in the forums over something that someone developed as alternate play, for lack of a better word. I like all three, I just happen to play 286 for now, because it's interesting and fun. And when I check my list of fave servers, I hardly see others on the RaV2 servers.

11. kungpaosamuraiii

kungpaosamuraiii HOVER TANKS

If he's taking suggestion in this thread, I would suggest restricting the zoom to only when the player is not moving and when the player is either crouched or proned.

I don't think that the Terminator mode should be in since I don't think that many soldiers are given radar vision..

And if you're wondering, I'll rejoin you guys on whatever server soon as I'm done with Combat Flight Simulator 2.

12. OpFor

Duke doesn't take suggestions. Rav2 players are lame :rolleyes:

13. recon1337

recon1337 Halo boy

does duke have a site that i can DL his latest RAv286?

14. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

15. jasdave

jasdave New Member

The healing seems pretty cool. Every thing else seems like far jumps away from what RA tried to push, realism.
    Fully auto M16s and terminator goggles.

How ever, there are some classy features.

Healing-- why is bandaging only restricted to team mates healing others? couldn't I bandage my self? I mean atleast if the hit is on the shoulder or torso...
    (yes, it's added code for making it heal team mates and your self, but I am guessing it's easy to find out some ways to implement it)
    Med kit- Is there any chance bandages and a med kit could be added to the inventory area, only to be added at the cost of bulk? (like 5 bandages for 1 bulk unit, or what ever)
    - Also, could you think of adding night vision goggles and IR goggles to the inventory at cost of bulk units?
    (maybe you could get some talented modler and coder to add the actual modles to the player.. maybe :D)
    Thermal imaging, Does this resemble the (notably awesome) feature in Rilo's R2 mutator?
    Night vision- Does it look grainy, or realistic? or was the brightness just increased and a green screen added (sorry for asking and not finding out, but I don't have access to a playable PC yet)
    40mm Buckshot ammunition, could this also be added to the inventory?

And something about that terminator view type (not that i think this even has it's place in INF) but how does that work? if it tracked your enemy by movement, it's this sort of a hack?
    Climbing, seems ok, people seem not to like it. I don't know why-- Is it because it's possible to scale the side of a building? If yes, then I understand their strife with it.

[edit] NVM- 40mm buckshot exists, After typing in 40 mm buck shot, I found it. Using the term bushwack, how ever, got me nowhere :D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  16. jaymian

jaymian Sweet Merciful Crap!

I just want a DL link that works and hopefully there is a detailed manual included. I don't play on the server, because it's like a secret society. I have no clue what all the features are. And I would like to practice offline.

17. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Ok guys. At this point there is no where to get the updated file. I had to download an older version to get the int and ini file then log onto server to get the u file. When I get home and if its not already done, I'll put it all together and host it somewhere for you all.

In Sex's first post he covers what you need to know for binds. Can't remember whats in the read me file.

To be honest I have a lot of fun with this mutator. I don't play it all the time. Last night I was on EU server getting my ass kicked.

18. 5eleven

Jaymian - it's definitely not a secret society. It's just that the features change many times over as Duke tweaks the version..........I'm no computer genius, but if you see me online, normally on the weekends, early evening or late night EST, hop on and I'll show you what I know, and can help you with some of the binds and features. Matter of fact, any of the regulars would be more than happy to show you features/binds.

19. Taque

Taque Custom User Title

Actually, the "Terminator" view mode is quite flawed. It won't track targets unless their waist is visible. Furthermore, it doesn't track through walls or anything. Anyways, it's buggy right now and I don't use it as it's more detrimental to me than useful.

By the way, thermal and NV modes have been merged since NV was useless compared to thermal when actually in game.

jasdave, climbing does not allow scaling of walls. It's basically a souped up jump while holding the ka-bar in your hand. Most people's gripe about it is that it allows the player to get to places that weren't originally intended to be used (on top of walls, roofs, etc...). Frankly, I think it adds fresh new spots and keeps you on your toes more. But let's try not to get into that here (again). ;)

20. OpFor

Eh, I think the climb ruins maps, since you can scale over boundries placed in the map and see the edge of the map etc...just detracts from the game...