Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The Wrestler - 10/10

I can't possibly imagine how this film could have been any better. It's a great character story even for people with no interest in wrestling, and for those that do, it's respectful (but truthful) of the business. We've all heard about how good Mickey Rourke is here, but the truth is that every performance in this film is fantastic.

Definitely one to watch, preferably in the cinema because it really adds to the power of this film. I can only assume it didn't get more award nominations because of the subject matter (and in my opinion the snub is on the same level as that of The Dark Knight - it's that good).

Hell yes. I have absolutely no interest in wrestling but this film easily ranks up there with the greatest movies of all time. It's not even focused on wrestling that much, but rather the downfall of his life. Depressing stuff, but soooo good. My friend said it reminded him of Requiem for a Dream, and sure enough, I looked it up and it's from the same director. Better than The Dark Knight if you ask me.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
RocknRolla - 6.5/10, pretty good overall but nowhere near Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Tom Wilkinson played his role perfectly though.

Taken - 8/10, as much as I like Liam Neeson. I still can't rate it higher, there wasn't really a lot of depth in the story. But acting was great nontheless.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Eragon

0/10

I absolutly hated this movie.... for a few reasons.

For starters, the movie (hah, big suprise here) was not true to the book. Characters where misplaced in wrong towns, and a whole pile of characters, including very important ones, were left out of the movie.

The movie also seemed to be stuck in "Leap Frog" mode. Everything just suddenly advanced on to the next thing, without explanation, or hardly any dialouge.

I honestly don't know which part pissed me off more. When Brom killed the Ra'Zac, or when Murtagh said "**** yeah dude, we'll go to the Varden, I know the way, lol!" :mad:

I was warned not to watch this movie, by people who have read the books and have already suffered through this Hour and a Half long piece o crap, but I didn't listen, and watched it anyways.

Thanksfully, I read the book before I watched the movie. It probably would have ruined it for me, and I would have never picked up that first copy of the book.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Eragon

0/10

I absolutly hated this movie.... for a few reasons.
[/SPOILER]

I was warned not to watch this movie, by people who have read the books and have already suffered through this Hour and a Half long piece o crap, but I didn't listen, and watched it anyways.

Thanksfully, I read the book before I watched the movie. It probably would have ruined it for me, and I would have never picked up that first copy of the book.

I just finished reading Brisingr a week ago. Great books, but yea the movie was crap.

It needed to be a 3 hour long epic like LOTR, but it was made into a happy-ending kids movie. If Some of the descriptions of the fighting in the book were duplicated exactly into the movie it would have recieved an R rating.

They didn't even give Arya elf ears!

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Seven Pounds 3/10
It's the kind of movie that spends 2 hours trying to convince you that it's good all the while making no effort to actually be good. And the fractured narration fails terribly at masking the laughably bad screenplay. Avoid this movie, no matter how much you like Will Smith.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
You from France?

No, and except for that short movie I wouldn't really call them unknown. I'm on a bit of a Godard trip right now, hence the accumulation of French movies.

Pierrot Le Fou. I didn't enjoy this as much as the other movies, and I'm still not even sure why: the acting (a great Belmondo and Karina) is brilliant once again, the directing and plot has probably even more experimental elements and besides that, it's also produced much better than the films that came before. Even though, it has not quite clicked for me (yet?). 7/10

Kitchen Stories. This was cute. Besides the obvious stereotype that Scandinavian movies just have to have very slow pacing, everything seemed very likeable: the lovely characters and their laconic ways, the depressingly somber scenery, the occasional stabs at the two nations portrayed and the little absurdities. Not for everyone, but for every lover of dark comedies. 8/10

Battlestar Galactica: Miniseries and First Season - 8/10

I was probably the most skeptical guy on Earth about this one. Before I watched this DVD set, I had caught a few bits when my brother was watching it some years back. It's one of those shows you just can't walk into a room and watch unless you've seen it from the beginning. Most shows have this way about them where you can catch one episode and get the gist of everything. But not this.

This is the first sci-fi show I've really enjoyed since...well, X-Files. The documentary-style of it really gives it something other contemporary sci-fi lacks. It's very realistic and has rounded characters that are actually people and not the generic stock of "individuals" this genre is stuck with (see SG-1 or a number of other shows). There's no glamor in these space sets. No beauty shots (aside from the babes, which every sci-fi show has to have on general principle or there would be no fanbase). Just a handful of survivors trying to live with whatever they have left. Even the antagonists are interesting. These Cylons are more ****ed up than the humans they are trying to hunt down.

I especially like the relationships in this show...and that's something I'm almost unanimously flippant about when it comes to Television series. In particular, the two ongoing human/cylon couples are engaging as heck to watch, especially the Number5/Gaius Balter thing.

The Season 1 cliffhanger was a really great "holy crap!" moment. I've already ordered Season 2. I hope this show doesn't jump the shark.

Last edited: