Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Damn, 6/10? Might wait for this to come out on Blu-ray then.
My opinion but............ it's o.k. as in Star Wars o.k. I wouldn't call this a great movie. As I said Abrams is a pretty average director.
Not to worry. Episode 8 will feature Lando calrissian, zombie Yoda, ig88 and Boba fett. Maybe make an entire movie on Boba fett escaping from the Sorlaac. And cg ewoks. Billions of them.

That having said, I haven't watched episode 7 yet. I might. From what I've gathered it's episode 4 remade, with mediocre characters/acting and shiny object. I could be wrong...?
It's a vehicle for action figures; so yes, probably.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I'd rate star wars the force awakens higher than manticore.
It has the star wars feeling that was completely absent in ep1-3. The movie broadly sets up the premise for another saga. Sure, it's not the next odyssey: 2001, but then you should remember that that's not what star wars is. It's pure escapism.

Reactions: BillyBadAss

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
I'd rate star wars the force awakens higher than manticore.
It has the star wars feeling that was completely absent in ep1-3. The movie broadly sets up the premise for another saga. Sure, it's not the next odyssey: 2001, but then you should remember that that's not what star wars is. It's pure escapism.
I did say it was o.k. as in o.k. for a Star Wars film but they really need to get someone other than Abrams to direct the next one.

My rating was based on it being a film; not just a Star Wars film.

It's a good SW film but some parts of ti are really predictable even if you don't see the spoilers coming per se....

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I'm disappointed Abrams is leaving! If there is anyone who I'd want to see make a space battle on the scale of Episode 6, it would be him.

How can you rate this worse than Jupiter Ascending which was by far the definition of cookie-cutter! It was basically an expansion of the "New Seoul" story from their previous Cloud Atlas!

Fuck, how can you all hate on Mad Max? You guys go into a Mad Max film expecting a plot? The entire point was the director perfecting his shots in a way that the 100th car to blow up on screen is as exciting as the first.

Regardless, 2015 was a much more boring year for film than 2014, which had some of the ballsiest movies in years.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
How? It's easy. It's my opinion. That's how.

Fuck Abrams; he's an average director who can direct big action but that doesn't make him ONE OF THE GREAT film directors. Also he has never had one original film idea in anything he's put to the big or small screen.

SW Ep7 is no different. There are better directors out there who could have done the drama in this film much better. (Good films have to have drama. Any old film can have action).

Oh right; did I say it's my opinion?

Understand?

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
How? It's easy. It's my opinion. That's how.

Fuck Abrams; he's an average director who can direct big action but that doesn't make him ONE OF THE GREAT film directors. Also he has never had one original film idea in anything he's put to the big or small screen.

SW Ep7 is no different. There are better directors out there who could have done the drama in this film much better. (Good films have to have drama. Any old film can have action).

Oh right; did I say it's my opinion?

Understand?
I wish more people paid attention to it being someone's opinion. Like when I told people I don't like Drake's music.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Star wars episode 8 must have the return of the ewoks. This time completely shaven nude and on speed. Oh yeah, and that guy who...you know, that guy in that ...there.. who did...and then he blew up? Well, ok maybe not that one. I wonder if that weird orange beaked creature from jabbo the hut survived?

And that big frog who ate that little animal and burped. Remember that one? Epic moment. Must have in episode 8. Not complete without gems as these.

Damn and those convertors at hoshi station...

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Ted-6/10

Had a few decent laughs but it just seems like Family Guy rebooted in bear costume. I wouldn't bother re-watching it.

The Mothman Prophecies-5/10

Supposedly based on a true story (at least the disaster bit) the story seemed pretty confused to me.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Sharknado-?/10

I don't know how to rate this. If you see it as The Last Wave meets Jaws then it might work for you............
Wait until you see Sharknado 2 and 3. It only gets more ridiculous. And awesome.
Sharnado 2: The Second One-New York Values/10

Not only was is really well photographed and put together it was hilariously and ridiculously funny in places. I really like the way they took to NYC in the flick... I'm talkin' downtown.

The Force Awakens

I wanted to use the internet again so I went to see Star Wars.

The film is essentially the definition of playing it safe, yes okay fine. Seeing JJ Abram's name attached to anything still induces me to cringe, yes okay fine but this is because I'm always proved right (remember those wretched Star Trek movies he did?). Yes, they more or less emulated a New Hope, okay fine.

But you know what? Take away all the details, the mythology, and at its heart Star Wars used to just be a fun space movie with a small cast of plucky characters that bounce personalities off each other, That's it! That is why the original trilogy worked and captured an audience and why those prequels earned a bunch of mixed viewpoints.

So yes, this movie is safe. Yes. But it also has humor. God, I sat in the theater and cracked a smile during Star Wars! You know how long I've wanted that?

I could nitpick some things, that won't ever change. Abrams is still horrible at handling the important lifting. He can put all the bells and whistles in the right place, but when people have to speak seriously or when the movie has to toy with big reveals he has no concept of how to do that. This is evident in how a certain reveal is handled that leads to a particular climactic encounter. A smarter movie like Empire Strikes Back managed to blindside audiences when they were expecting the standard good guy vs bad guy showdown. This film blows its wad on this reveal way early and this leaves the feeling that what comes next is a series of info dumps leading to an inevitable, yet predictable scene.

But what works is the humor, and this movie has that personality on its side when it counts. I was ready to embrace the old characters and merely tolerate the new cast, but the opposite ended up being the case. I actually liked the new characters more, and while I really enjoyed seeing Han and Chewie together again I was surprised at how stale the interactions between Leia and Han were (the movie really missed an opportunity here, and it just seemed like the writers and the directing had no place for Carrie Fisher other than putting her in there for the fans).

It was good. Not as good as the old ones because so much of it was emulation, but also much better than the prequels. It is a good foundation, if anything else matters, and with JJ Abrams not working on the sequel there's a chance we might actually get a fun trilogy out of this stew.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Revenant

Without revealing too much, this brutal western film takes the frontier landscape and transforms it into this hostile, unforgiving world, in which bouts of racism, betrayal, prejudice, selfishness, revenge, violence, and transcendence of cultural barriers all take place. The fragility of human existence is especially apparent here, whereas will and determination triumph. You can feel the cold seep into your bones as the characters plunge into the depths of winter, placing you, the audience, in a different world altogether. Surrealist dream sequences are interspersed while the protagonist, Hugh Glass, sleeps feverishly. You sit there and fear for the worst, what more suffering may befall him. While the land seems familiar, it is also alien and hostile.

The cinematography is the defining attractive feature of the film, the actions of the characters more important than the dialogue. The film was only shot in natural lighting as well, no secondary, unnatural lightsources. Proper exposure illuminates the scenery just right, exposing gaunt and damaged faces, assaulted by the cold.

I recommend it, but it is not for the faint of heart. Not a movie you take your significant other to, unless they are tolerant of such depictions of violence. It is very bloody and morbid. It's nearly a 3 hour film, so set aside an early time to watch it. You're in for a visual feast.

I would say Thin Red Line or Tree of Life are similarly paced films, but less action-driven and more dialogue-driven.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm really surprised about the response to The Force Awakens. Personally, I was never interested in or drawn to the prequels in any way. The trailers all made the movies look horribly cheesy and stupid, and I wasn't at all surprised when my first instinct of the films turned out to be true. Episode 2 was so cringeworthy when I watched it long after it came out on DVD that it took me about ten years to watch Episode 3 for the first time (yeah, just watched that in the last 1-2 years).

For me, despite some definitely glaring flaws, The Force Awakens is one of my favorite movies to come out in recent memory. I just liked almost everything it did and the new characters are incredibly good for a Star Wars film. Arguably it might not be the best movie in any specific area (although I thought the writing and acting and just overall character of the film were superb), but it was definitely fun and it was quite easy to ignore most of the problems the movie had.

As far as wrecking the reveal goes, I think they intentionally played that off as no reveal at all. There is a much bigger reveal in store, hopefully for Episode 8 but who knows.

I don't necessarily disagree that they played it safe in the movie, but it all felt very intentional to me. Star Wars fans have been wanting a movie that actually feels like Star Wars for over two decades at least. This movie, for all its stumbles, feels exactly like a Star Wars movie. Don't forget that the original Star Wars is kind of the king of cheese and it's really surprising how popular it turned out to be.

(And don't talk to me about Star Trek :p Actually, I really liked the reboot movies.)

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
ive been watching some movies lately.
Watched conan the barbarian for the first time since like 2000 yesterday. It holds up quite well.
Watched the dead lands which is basically a prehistoric maori war movie. Quite cool.
The DOOM movie was way better than i expected, it does everything it pretty much should do.
the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy movie was kinda shitty.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
and i watched conan the destroyer yesterday. Its a disneyfied version of the first and at moments falls flat. Still fun just nothing more than that.
going to watch red sonja this evening.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
and i watched conan the destroyer yesterday. Its a disneyfied version of the first and at moments falls flat. Still fun just nothing more than that.
going to watch red sonja this evening.
Don't bother with the more recent reboot starring Jason Momoa; it's crap and Jason Momoa can't act for shit. He certainly can't carry a feature film.