Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
Love & Mercy: 9/10

A beautifully done film, and both Paul Dano and John Cusack are pretty believable Brian Wilsons. The critics don't necessarily agree with me but I think they both channeled him pretty well. I recommend everyone see it in a theater if they can because the sound design of the film for theatrical is amazing. Beautiful use of a cascading surround sound system and a lot of abrasive sounds to help put you in Brian Wilson's shoes while he's suffering from episodes.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Dreaming Lhassa-minus1,000,000/10

The only reason that there are so many zeros in the above rating is that I couldn't find a way to superscript the scientific notion......

This film, while professing to explore and understand the plight of the Tibetan people in exile, is one of the worst exploitation films I have seen.

Basically it's just a vehicle for a couple of totally inept filmmakers to masturbate themselves in frame for 90 minutes.

This film is not only an insult to the Tibetan people, it also insults the intelligence of anyone who has any knowledge, even a passing knowledge, of the plight of the Tibetan people in exile.

This self-indulgent, self-serving, pile of cinematic crap does nothing other than prove that these filmmakers need to get a fucking life; and that life should have nothing to do with making movies.

In fact the masturbatory nature of this film got so bad, so predictable and so extremely base I couldn't watch it all the way through.

If you ever have a chance to see this film do yourself a favour; put a gun in your mouth, pull the trigger and eat a bullet.....

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Tales of the Rat Fink-10/10

This is an interesting look at the Life and Times of car customizer/cartoonist Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. Through the use of many graphically enhanced photographs and "talking" cars, it is a loving look at the car culture in Southern California from the Early 50's to Ed's Passing in 2001.

Anyone who has a interest in car culture, hot-rodding, drag racing or anything else to do with Kustom Kulture needs to see this film. I've followed the "Big Daddy" since I was a kid. There is so much information about Ed Roth and the rise of hot-rodding in the USA that I didn't know about until I saw this doco. A fascinating window into the early days of hot-rodding in So-Cal and beyond.

If you love the culture you must see this film.

RIP Ed Roth

The Rat Fink lives and rules!

talesofratfinkposter.jpg

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Jupiter Ascending-7/10

I saw this when it was first released and I just watched it again on Bluray. I'm a big fan of the Wachowski's because they tell great stories.

This film initially seemed a bit confused but I think that the messages are buried very deep. If you want to see a story about transformation this is what the movie is really about; in my opinion.

A Cinderella story where Walt Disney meets Dune versus Star Wars done on a massive scale.

The visuals are truly epic........

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Here's a review on that movie.

Haven't watched jupiter ascending, probably won't really (didn't even attract my attention before I saw the review)
Oh, there are couple of things I disagree with in this review though. Well, really one...

Like the worst actress in the world. That's kristen stewart. For some reason I watched a part of that snowwhite and the huntsmen movie. Perhaps for Charlize theron, I can't remember.
But what I do clearly remember is kristen stewart's face.

It almost made me die of boredom because there were no emotions visible. ever. Apart from 'I just crapped my knickers and can't run to the toilet for another hour what I do omg it'll stick to my crotch and asscrack and I'll never be able to remove it omg" look...that's probably really close to the mark.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials-5/10

I thought the first film in this series had a good story; at least it was sort of inventive. I was disappointed by this film.

The only story this film really told is that every big Hollywood studio has to have it's post-apocalyptic teen angst movie.

Just in case you're interested:

Zombie apocalypse created by a virus
Seriously? Have the guy who wrote the books and the guys who wrote the film script never seen any Resident Evil films? How about I am Legend (the zombies even look the same but this film borrows heavily from both films)?

Running away: from what? What trial?
Even when they do run (and it's a lot) the film uses all the Hollywood cliches; there's nothing new to see here it's just the same old schtick.

Evil company masquerading as militarised pseudo-government vs. the resistance
Yeah; really..........

I'd say these guys ran out of ideas about the same time as they were looking at ticket sales for:

The Hunger Games (probably the best of the bunch)
The Divergent series (which pretty much sucks arse)

Meh.............

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Mad Max: Fury Road 4/10

I finally got to seeing this movie this weekend, but had been planning to see it for a while due to all the gushing about how great it was. I will admit visually it was really cool. I dug all the practical effects and art direction, but the plot was rail fucking thin and relied way too much on action which got a bit boring after a while. I never really cared much about any of the characters in the movie or what happened to them. It felt like just more of Hollywood's only goal of rebooting a previously successful and beloved franchise and then only stimulate the viewers id ego.

I thought a lot more could of been done given the well developed universe via the previous movies, but it seems they took the lazy route here. Ignore the hype, it's a bore.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
The Judge - 7/10

It was good to see RDJ out of the Ironman suit and the story was really good I just felt it rushed towards a very predictable end and missed out some interesting bits of story which could have rounded it all out a bit more.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Everest (3D)-Probably 10/10

O.k. so I'm a big fan of these type of mountaineering films and adventure films. O.k. so this is a true story so there can really be no spoilers.

In my opinion, the telling of this sad but true story is excellently handled. Not only do you feel the tension of the events but the whole thing is pulled off with incredible dignity for the subject matter.

The acting is superb across the board. The visual are astounding and the music is excellent.

In my opinion, it's a totally immersive two hours........ you are there. I could easily watch it again right now.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
The Equalizer - 7/10

Man on fire was a far better film with Denzel going back to blow things up. However this may have been because I watched it in 2 sittings and not through at once.

Story was pretty good, although I felt there was a bit missing in the plot when his wife is mentioned only once before the end scene and there is no back story other than that and a tiny link to the CIA or some agency.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Martian (3D)-6.5/10

Science aside I enjoyed the rendered vistas of another world and Ridley Scott is good at creating worlds.

What I didn't enjoy was the use of Bowie's Starman in the soundtrack. I thought that was very shallow, predictable, hackneyed and cliched; not good.

I find it a bit weird that Damon is being typecast as space-suited lonely guy/explorer. It worked for me in Interstellar but coming around for a second bite of the abandonment issues on another world type shit; well they could have left Mickey Mouse on Mars and it would have achieved the same end. (In fact, while I was watching the flick all I could think of was the Mouse when looking at Damon....... very disturbing).

As far as I'm concerned, the story (and film) are a total rip of the B-Grade sci-fi movie Robinson Crusoe on Mars (without Martian native life).

robinson_crusoe_on_mars_1_x.jpg

It's scientifically authentic!
icon_lol.gif
icon_twisted.gif

At least we know now that this whole reality TV Mars One thing is total bullshit and there is no way a mission of this scale could operate without a lot more than doing Big Brother in outer space.

[Edit]That whole bit on international law and the law of the sea? Not only was it clever that is all legally correct. The science in the film may be questionable in some places but the technicalities of that law are all true.[/Edit]

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I just got back from seeing it and loved it.

The Martian - 9/10

Matt Damon is the man. Was pretty damn funny at points too. Jessica Chastain is always gorgeous. And Sean Bean and the whole LOTR part... hilarious. Excellent movie. Will buy for my collection when it hits Blu-ray.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I can't wait for them to get to Mars .. and find Dr. Manthattan tinkering with time, making huge clockworks all over the place.

And smilies, naturally.

Hey, don't laugh. So far people have "seen" ghandi's face, a spoon, a crab and a small woman I mean, what's next....

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Neo, I'm glad your as open to the possibilities as I. Perhaps we'll find a lost shipment of sporks that was originally destined for a space station, but we over-shot the trajectory and it crash-landed on Mars :) One can only hope.

Reactions: NeoNite

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Summit-7/10

The Summit is a 2012 documentary film about the 2008 K2 disaster, directed by Nick Ryan. It combines documentary footage with dramatized recreations of the events of the K2 disaster, during which – on the way to and from the summit – 11 climbers died during a short time span, creating one of the worst catastrophes in climbing history.

Much of the documentary footage was captured by Swedish mountaineer Fredrik Sträng, who was planning to film a documentary, but aborted that plan because he did not reach the summit. The footage he took helped to piece together the disaster's events, since all the climbers had different stories about what happened.

I like all this mountaineering stuff (not that I would do it myself) and this is a pretty good docudrama (and many of them aren't).