1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rate the Last Movie You Watched

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Manticore, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Death Race- 7.5/10

It all started in the prologue: "In 2012 the economy of the United States has collapsed" (I think Anderson is running a bit behind the times now on that one); great premise leading to a motivation of the rise of Deathmatch (sounds like the familiar opening cutscene to a very successful game some of us may recognise :)) and then Death Race.

Being and Anderson film I was expecting to either be disappointed or at least find the flick to be a bit patchy but, in my opinion, this is his best film.

I have seen Corman's original "Death Race 2000" and, although this is "loosely" based on it, it really owes more to about a million video games I can think of immediately. It also owes a lot to such films as "Running Man".

What he has made is an interesting and fun action flick. The cars are great (in the tradition of "Mad Max/'Road Warrior" and the early Peter Weir flick "The Cars That Ate Paris") and the action scenes are huge and very well constructed, shot and edited. As far as car stunts go I would put this up there with Tarantino's "Death Proof". The dark industrial look of the film works extremely well too....

Throw in a well chosen cast, the odd bit of black humour and a good industrial/metal soundtrack and you've got one fun film, in my opinion.

The film did threaten to go lame in the closing ten minutes, which was predictable and did unravel the ending a bit but generally I really enjoyed this one.

Good job.........

2. Al

Al Reaper

The Shawshank Redemption - 10/10

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

This is next on my list. Green Mile was really good, so Shawshank should be too. :)

4. Al

Al Reaper

And I failed at using the spoiler tags... :(

5. Iron Archer

Iron Archer Holy ****ing King of Trolls

Watchmen - 9/10

It's nice to see an IP handled with such care on the first go, not having been shat on like the Batman IP was, before someone came along and decided to do it right. Great cinematography, great characterizations, and just enough humor to keep things balanced. Much like Batman Begins/TDK there really is not squandered time in this movie. To leave something out would have left it incomplete, and it will be interesting to see the extended version on blu-ray. Oh, yes btw there's some brief but nice T&A and for you guys batting for the other team, there's CGI blue wang. Enjoy :D

6. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Yeah; I want to see Watchmen.

Taken 7.5/10 Decent enough thriller with some great fight sequences.

7. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

Are you serious? The first half hour was exactly how it ought to be and then the movie starts drifting off from it's source material(not that I disliked the movie)... and a few scenes sported some really bad acting(luckily not by one of the protagonists)
    However, I reserve my final judgement for the extended(more watchment) extended(the black freighter) version.

p.s. I was so happy that they nailed Rorschach perfectly.

edit: I must add that most of the music was unfitting. (though I liked all along the watchtower at the end...)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Shawshank is better, imho. But the green mile is an excellent movie as well.

9. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Watchmen 6/10

I never read the novel, I went in with low expectations and at times was falling a sleep. I was honestly expecting a super hero movie, but all it was in my opinion was a bunch of masked vigilantes with personal problems.

Can some one that read the book explain why Dr. Manhattan has to show off his blue 'junk' all the time! So wrong.

All of the characters seemed pretty lame except Rorschach that guy was one bad ass mother ****er!

10. cooloola

cooloola A good samaritan

Well you'd have to have a few mental problems to think that putting on a costume and going off in the night to beat up criminals with your bear fists is a good idea.

11. Twisted Metal

Watchmen - 6/10

I second Mozi's review. It had some good action and cinematography going for it, but that alone doesn't make a good movie. It was overly long, slowed down too much at times, had a really uneccessary sex scene, and some really weird things like the whole mars creation and the half lion/half mountain goat thing. Seriously what the hell was that?

Rorschach was indeed a bad ass and pretty much the only character I cared about. And yes, there is a lot of blue penis in this movie.

edit - And holy sh*t at Nixon's nose. The theater was cracking up. Thing was friggin GARGANTUAN. :eek:

12. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

Watchmen 8/10

You two make me sad. This isn't super hero flick, it is a movie about the kinds of people who would dress up in costumes to be up strangers in the night. I'll admit that Bubastis would be confusing for people that haven't read the book (since the book dealt with genetic engineering and explained how weird the creature was and the movie skipped that whole bit to go the Dr. Manhattan route), but otherwise, a very well done movie.

It's interesting to see how the majority are going to react to this movie. The film snobs will be mostly put off because there is something a little bit hollow about this film. While we tend to drift more towards Rorshach and Night Owl in terms of identifying, the movie felt a lot like it was being filtered through Dr. Manhattan. It is very detached from the action (as cool as it is) and very very interested in looking at things in new ways (paraphrasing what Laurie says about Jon and his distant gaze). The comic book nerds will be upset that they do a lot of talking and will be confused as to the significance of Dan and Laurie's sex scenes (hint: it deals with sexual potency and physical prowess). I thought it was pretty darned good even if it felt like a cliff notes version (with tits and explosions, mind you) of a fantastic novel.

I recommend it for people that are interested in symbols, political and personal conundrums, the nature of sex and attraction, friendship and power, etc and who also like a good fight scene tossed in between. Those people (like me) will love it, but anyone on the extremes will find it either too violent or too boring.

~Jason

13. Twisted Metal

Oh and might I add that they chose the worst frickin version of Hallelujah to play during the sex scene. Such a great song, but the original is soooo bad. They should've thrown Jeff Buckley's version in there instead.

Also Nena's 99 Red Balloons. WTF? How does that fit in there at all?

The Sound of Silence though, that's good stuff. :tup:

14. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Watchmen - 9/10

Well that was the best "comicbook" movie I've seen since The Dark Knight. I was surprised how well they managed to translate the graphic novel to the screen (with some things left out or changed of course, but hey...I can't imagine how it could have been done any better). Jackie Earle Haley steals the show as Rorschach.

Actually, all the comic book nerds I know have been praising it so far. Myself included. I thought the point of the sex scene was obvious, considering the earlier scene between the two of them (sans costumes).

A radical cold war climate in 1985? Seems like a dead ringer to me.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  15. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

/nods :(

Watchmen 9/10

What Iron and Drag said.

I'm surprised that I actually liked how they adapted the destruction part of the plot to be able to fit in a movies length. Imo... well I don't know how to explain it, but I think it fits the rest of the story better than the original, it makes more since and is linked more to the main characters.

The only things I didn't like story adaptation wise was leaving out a lot of the backstory that they couldn't fit in of course and maybe like 5 parts that played out differently that had to do with Jon's prediction, the order of scenes, small things they left out that could have explained something and stuff like that.

I will agree that some of the acting and music was kinda wtf though. Oh and the casting choice of Ozy. (3rd edit? lol) Err, and another thing, some of the over-exaggerated fight scenes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  16. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Am I the only one who thought the music was a perfect fit?

17. Toolvana

Toolvana RL hostage

As a fan of the Watchmen graphic novel, I do not think a better movie representation can be made. Yes, there are little things you can knit-pick, but overall, extremely well done.

Unfortunately, to non-fans, I think the movie may be lost on them.

18. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

I'm afraid that I must object to your characterisation of an interest in symbols, political and personal conundrums etc. as mainstream. :)

It's the other way around. The too violent/boring crowds are the mainstream and interest (and, more importantly, appreciation of) in symbols etc. is very much in the minority. If it were not so then art house movies would be the summer blockbusters.

That is not to say that summer blockbusters cannot have attributes of interest to the minority and the very best do (part of what makes them best).

19. Iron Archer

Iron Archer Holy ****ing King of Trolls

Monkey, I think you missed what dragonfliet was saying entirely. Dragonfliet was talking about the story itself, not about movies or who their audience is. Notice he said "people that are interested in symbols, political and personal conundrums". The fact that this is a movie is completely subjective.

BTW I concur with Mister Prophet regarding the music.

I really wish that for the X-Men movies they would have started back in the 60's and taken stories from that time period and kept the movies in their respective time periods. It would have given the series more flavor and we could have done without some filmmakers' need to diverge from source material so much. Iron Man was good the way they remade it, but having the first X-Men movie take place during the 60's, concurrent with the civil rights movement, Vietnam war and other motifs would have been pretty damned cool.

20. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

I've re-read his post and I don't think that what Dragonfliet wrote bears that interpretation but he might care to enlighten both of us as to his intended meaning. It wouldn't be the first time that I've managed to get hold of the wrong end of the stick. :) My intended (and, I hope, lighthearted) point was that Dragonfliet's interests are in the minority and not as might have been implied from what he wrote.

For the avoidance of doubt, my comments did not relate to this movie in particular (haven't seen it yet) but they did relate to movie audiences. Although it was not my intention to broaden the debate, I do agree that general point about the interests of audiences applies to a much broader range of media (and topics).