1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RAPTOR MISSILE CHECKS FOR TARGET ONLY ONCE!! ZOMG OMG~~

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Mr.CrackPot, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Mr.CrackPot

Mr.CrackPot New Member

right, so uhhh dont know if im supposed to know this or not but i was makin a new kind of rocket (i write mods, tryin to make an EFFICIENT cluster homing rocket pack lol) n i wanted it to constantly check for targets around it.

I was under the assumption that THAT is how the raptor rocket works so I go into code, and it turns out that the ONLY time the rocket checks for a target is when its first fired, NEVER AGAIN. So that screws up alot that I used to do (and now I know why it never works! lolol) and ya, just felt like letting you know :D

cheers

oh n ps if anyone wants to confirm this go look at the Onslaught.ONSAttackCraftGun class, look at the altfire function in projectilefiremode state.

2. SlipStreams_65

SlipStreams_65 User Titles are Useless.

I worked this out really quickly, when you fire the missile if it locks it flies away in a curved line but if it doesnt it just goes straight on, even if it comes across a target. Even if you do get a lock onto a manta/raptor its almost guaranteed it wont hit.

3. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

No offense, but that's kind of a duh.
    Like Slip said, if you fire and there's nothing to lock onto, it won't relock if something does come into view

If the rockets return with the 2k7 Raptor, I hope their tracking is a bit better. It's really annoying in ONS/AS going thru a 5+ minute airfight with another raptor and not getting anywhere

The AVRiL is the only thing I can think of that might do multiple checks, but that also involves user input

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  4. Argosax

Argosax Gunning for Glory

That is why i never use the raptor, easy to hit, inacurate lasers and missiles who got the uneque ability of not hitting anything

5. Mr.CrackPot

Mr.CrackPot New Member

haha

lol my bad, never realli thought or cared about it till i tried to make it haha

anyway gonna hav to find another way to make my crazy uber missile frigate thing w/o mass lagging the server

actually i cant make it THAT uber

that'd be unfair ;)

ill post it up when im satified with it, look for it! lol

6. HuggyBear

HuggyBear manta claus

In a raptor, you're just going to miss with missles, and yeah, you gotta get up close with the primary if you're going to get some hits in. Your best tactic is to wait for your enemy to change direction or run into something, then fire a missle. When the raptor changes direction, it slows down enough to allow a missle to hit it. If you get into a slow circling match, quit firing and hope they think you disengaged, then when they decide to change targets, blast em!

7. HardcorexxX

HardcorexxX (.)(.)

Firing missles in the raptor is all about distance vs angle. Lead your targets the missle will lock on if the target if it is all but at the very edge of your screen.

Also if you want any accuracy at all in a raptor u need to be in first person view, for most pepole, hitting anything with the lasers and steering in general is only really effective in first person, raptor handles alot better this way ive noticed

8. Wookiee

Wookiee Lets Rock

Learn to dogfight with plasma and you'll win 95% of the time.

9. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

And it feels more "ownage" that way. Not to fire just an auto-target missile.

Although I must admit, the flying system of the Raptor is very much like a helicopter and that bugs me. Of course, I already know why; UT2007 will fix that.

10. dub

dub

I think it's good that the missile only checks for target once and that right when you shoot, if not the missiles would be too powerfull. Also, it's really not that hard to hit another vehicle with the missile, you just got to apply a bit of common sense to it.
    Each different vehicle takes a different approach.

Vehicles flying away from you are going to be easier to hit than vehicles flying at you.

For mantas: Mantas are hard to hit with the missle because of their comparable agility. Try and time it right. I found the easiest way to hit a manta is when it's just landed after it has made a jump. Again, your it's not likely that you will hit a manta with a missile if it is flying at you. Get behind it.

Cicadas. Players tend to make Cicadas "bob" up and down. So try and gain altitude over the cicada and wait till the cicada is either at the apex of it's motion. Easiest though is when it's close to the ground I found.

11. Burningmace

Burningmace Banned

Someone should write a mutator that replaces all the raptors in the level with ones that fire AVRiL missiles. Could be fun :p
    Or just replace them with monkies that hurl waffles at people. You can never have enough monkies.

12. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Someone should've balanced the anti-infantry capabilities of the Raptor. I suppose that'll be fixed over in time by Unreal Tournament 2007.

13. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I find that I do OK with a Raptor vs infantry as long as I:

1) Keep sort of low to the ground.
    2) Get the element of surprise.
    3) Can get them 1 on 1 and keep flying over the enemy's head.

14. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Keep shoting at the infrantry will prevent them from Dodging, also, avrils that they will shot might explode in their own face.

15. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

I just don't use the Raptor. I intimidate on foot with the Shock Rifle.

16. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

The Warlords in Invasion have missiles that guide and appear to update very often.

17. ALG

ALG Gallardo

You must be playing the wrong AS maps. :D