UE3 - General Random level generator

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

matroxx

May 7, 2010
Does anyone know if UE1, 2 or 3 has some sort of random level generator? Maybe generating to a T3D so we can import, build and play?

Shivan Hunter

May 29, 2009
it would be possible, I guess, but... you'd need to build all the geometry... make sure the design is sensible... do lighting, pathing and place pickups strategically... etc...

OK, it wouldn't be possible.

matroxx

May 7, 2010
I don't want to publish the maps, i want them for my personal pleasure, like we used to do with SLIGE on Doom.

Shivan Hunter

May 29, 2009
Thing is, it's several orders of magnitude easier to map for Doom than for UT3. Even taking into account map balance and strategic placement of items, a program can generate a blueprint for Doom relatively easily.

UT3 adds several dimensions to the mix... one of them literally (and good z-axis play can make a great map!). A BSP generator that doesn't give a crap about visuals and uses a collection of, say, 6 materials could be technically feasible, but most of its maps would be utter crap to actually play on.

I can see how some of its output would be usable, though. Not 'playable' in a usual sense, but usable as a baseline for a real map.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
There is a random level generator for U1, called Unreal Rogue. Works with Unreal build 200, 224-227 and partially in UT. Here's the deal: you create rooms as you usually do, but you connect them with special Rogue actors that cause the level to randomize itself upon load.

http://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/urtechies.zip - version 200 with a demonstration level.
http://www.klankaos.com/UnRogue.u - patch for Unreal builds 224-227.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Honestly, I do not know. But, if you stick to outdoor-only-and-stuff, it should. Constructing such a map would be a challenge I am certain, but it theoretically is possible.

Feb 3, 2010
yea ,i'm just thinking about how it would be possible to combine this with an rts styled mod which would generate random maps for skirmishes.

matroxx

May 7, 2010
A believe that something dungeon-esque is much more feasible. Not only because of the BSP limitations, but because dungeon generation algorithms were already mastered:

http://pcg.wikidot.com/pcg-algorithm:dungeon-generation

This eliminates the hassle of having to work on a different, unique and hard procedural algorithm. The only challenge would be the tight integration between the results from the algorithm and the engine.