Ran Out of virtual memory :(

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuperHumanly

-+--SuPer HuManly--+-
Aug 14, 2004
graphicarena.com
Whenever I try to run UT, it crashes with that errror
"Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk."

I have 2.9GB/4.0GB free on the hard disk..and virtual memory is set to:
Minimum: 0
Maximum: 1024
(I did let me specify my own settings, after getting the error when windows managing the virtual memory settings)

Specs:

Windows 98
AMD K6-2 400MHZ
160MB RAM
Direct3D renderer, also tried software renderer, same error.
UT v436 also.

I saw other threads on these & other boards about this problem, but they were either unsolved & old, or the fix was an issue with a much newer PC than mine.

Thanks in advance.

Leroi

Mar 18, 2004
Try setting minimum and maximum to 1024. What type and size graphics card do you have?

What version of directX and graphics drivers?

SuperHumanly

-+--SuPer HuManly--+-
Aug 14, 2004
graphicarena.com
ATI Rage Pro 8MB
DirectX 9.0c
GFX Drivers...I dunno, the card is pretty old..I will try to update them now.

Edit: I tried setting it to min and max 1024, same error.
Edit2: All drivers are updated, DirectX 9.0c...STILL get the error :(

I have also re-insalled UT twice already to see if that was the problem..nope :(

Last edited:

Leroi

Mar 18, 2004
My only other idea is to let Windows manage your virtual memory and see if it helps.

You can sometimes copy files from game cds to a folder of your creation and run the installatioin from there. It sounds a bit like your installation isn't good.

The first time I tried to install UTGOTY it seemed to succeed (I ran the installatiion from my dvd drive), but I only got a black screen when I tried to run UT, so I uninstalled, rebooted and installed from my CDRW drive and it worked fine. I don't know why, but it works.

Leroi

Mar 18, 2004
SuperHumanly said:
Problem Solved - Re-Installed Windows XP in place of 98

That''s great, but does XP run okay on your system?

Seems llike it would be slow as molasses in winter...

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Virtual Memory size should always be a static number (min-max are the same), preferably around 1.5 times the size of your RAM, and on a separate partition from your Windows install if you can help it. My VM is on a dedicated partition on my second hard drive.