1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Radar / Cardinal Points

Discussion in 'General UTXMP Discussion' started by Azzrael, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Azzrael

Azzrael a.k.a. [GDC]AzzraelDLX

Hi,
    after tons of ideas to change XMP dramatically maybe there is something useful to be implemented without changing game balance...

CARDINAL POINTS on the radar!

It would be nice to have "North", "East", "South" and "West" or respectively their Initials around the radar, turning together with the map, naturally!
    That would make it a lot easier to specify the own position/direction ("Have an artifact, escaping alongside Eastern mapborder" or similar statements...).

The mappers would have to define "North"...bases maybe "North vs. South" :D
    That would be easy to implement, I guess.

2. .sl0w.

.sl0w. ******

good idea - wish i had this on wonderwoods last night where i somehow always came back to teh enemy node...:D

3. Naib

Naib New Member

Yes, that is a good idea :)

Also I'd like to be able to see the radar when I'm picking a deploy and waiting to spawn. On some maps (once again Wonderwoods is a good example) the discription of the deploy gives you no idea where it is, and you have no idea what is going on around you.

4. Mantik

Mantik Master Beta

Since the radar is already separated into Blue/Red.. most people just use directions based on which team they are. You use Right/Left as if you're looking out from your own base toward the enemy base.. so obviously you reverse it when you're booking it back to your node from the enemy node. I've used that on pub TS quite alot and people understand where I am and give me backup/etc asap.

If the directions won't be implemented that seems to work just fine for most people, ASSUMING THEIR RADAR IS CORRECT AND DOESN'T HAVE BASES SHOW UP ON THE BORDER BETWEEN RED AND BLUE FFS! ;P

5. [DF]phalanx

[DF]phalanx bgutblower=true

yeah but some maps dont work with that radar thing
    valleyofthedead has as U shaped route to the base
    i would like manned turrets to appear on radar

6. Dragon_X

Dragon_X XMP Beta Tester

yes and voice binds that say, "enemy to the <insert direction>"

7. WolfmanK

WolfmanK Puppet Master of BBF

Yeah cardinal points on the radar has to be the best suggestion to improving xmp gameplay I've heard in a while.... g1 Azz tho those of us that do play regularly can understand the Mantik Method, I think for new ppl coming to the game Cardinal Points is a good idea.

8. fireball

fireball Reach out and torch someone

Problem is, it's nearly friggin impossible to get the red/blue border to align correctly. A hardcoded N/S/E/W would be very welcome.

9. Xaero

Xaero Who Dey!

People who have not tried have NOOO idea how much of a pain in the ass making a radar can be.

10. fireball

And I've tried..

11. Dragon_X

Dragon_X XMP Beta Tester

people have told me, that its easy >:\ they have lied to me

and remember, VOICE BINDS WITH "enemy to the <insert direction>" that would be cool!

12. Azzrael

Sure, it's easy to define your position by saying "Left" or "Right" using the bases as the origin. But there are to ways to do so:

1. Using always your own base.
    2. Using the base behind you (when escaping).

First way forces the addressed team mates to rethink: When you walk towards your base, the "I'm going left" from your mate means "Right" for yourself. That's not a big problem, but for many players a little bit confusing.

Using way No.2 could be confusing, too...it's the same problem from a different point of view ;-)

Having cardinal points is the only way to define exact/unique positions requiring only a short look at the radar without any thinking/changing of perspective...

Sounds stupid, but it would be a great help...for noobs as for veterans ;)

13. [Lithium]

[Lithium] New Member

This seems like an excellent idea. I've often used Mantik's described method for describing direction. Great meathod it wont work flawlessly on all maps though especially odd shaped ones. I will sometimes reference landmarks to tell people my direction of travil. Something like "I'm going along the landlocked gen side." for Lowlands or "I'm moving towards the valley gen." for Garden. Problem is not everyone knows what the land marks on a map are called and some maps have few good landmarks to reference. A cardinal point system would clear all the mentioned problems with describing direction. Fantasic idea.

14. Dandeloreon1984

Dandeloreon1984 CXP Director

i agree, sometimes cardinal points would do a map good :).... anyways a good system to create it is to use 4 note actors and place them on the4 corners of a map, and also do to a standard radar image also... there u go, the cardinal is set.... lol... but then after that, it is up the coders to do all the work.

15. fireball

No actors! Just hardcode it based on orientation in UED.

16. Azzrael

Hardcoding this feature would be okay, but IMO the mapper must have the possibility to adjust the directions fitting to the map floor plan and design. Maybe the mapper's only task is to set one actor indicating the map's center and adjusting a value to change the direction to a certain degree.

For example in unsymmetrical maps or "special" map ground plan pointing EXACTLY to the Artifact Node maybe distorts the maps perspective and/or doesn't correspond to the "felt" directions.

So the mapper inserts the cardinal point actor to the map's center and defines "North" to point maybe 10° to the left of the blue Arti Node. Maybe the "color" that references the North is hardcoded (blue node always North).

If FMI decides not to implement this feature, maybe a mutator could bring this in...But then this mutator would have a lot work to do and couldn't be adjustet by the mappers. FMI, pleaaaaaase bring cardinal points to the UTXMP radar - natively!! ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  17. Splinti

Splinti Battle-Rat

Azzrael strikes again!

With a simple, but important input to make life easier in UT:XMP without chaning the feeling of XMP! A BIIIIIIIG :tup: for this!

:clap:

18. Azzrael

All threads have their own FMI-guy-posting...I want it too! :)
    Can't believe that FMI isn't interested in this topic *cough* ;)