1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Racism :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ravenwing, Mar 9, 2002.

1. mat69

mat69 just fooling around

2. G-Fresh

G-Fresh Red

Recon marine is an arsehole, don't even bother speaking to him. We had him as a trialist in sixpack, I can't tell you enough how happy I am we ditched him

I know some merlin members, I'll point them in the direction of this thread

3. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

So ? Why did you let it get to you ?
    And calling someone an 'as<i>shole' isn't insulting ?
    You sir are a hypocrite ...

This is the internet ... unless that guy/girl/whatever was sitting next to you in a lan he won't know whether you really are a jewish g<i></i>ay ni<i></i>gger who likes to fuc<i></i>k little dead boys ...

Or was he correct did you cheat .... ?
    'cause IMHO that's the only true insult I see here ...

4. {GD}Ghost

{GD}Ghost Counter Terrorist Operative

There is a big difference between calling someone a Jew and calling them a n i g g e r.

Like NT pointed out: If the the guy thought that calling someone a Jew was an insult, he's a bigger idiot that we'll ever know. Jew describes someone of Jewish heritage and is not a derogatory statement. No more than anyone calling someone African American (a term I can't stand BTW) or Black.

N i g g e r, on the other hand, though the original definition has no color distinction, is very derogatory no matter who you say it to. However, any person worth their blood and guts knows that (at least here in the US) this word has been used as a derogatory term for Black Americans. Regardless of what the dictionary defines the word as, this is how it is used 99.9% of the time, if in a derogatory context.

5. Other Dave

Other Dave New Member

I can't believe this.

I play with many of you every day so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you're either really young or willfully naive.

The general tone of these posts seem to be 'it's no big deal, get over it'. But why should this sort of comment be glossed over? OF COURSE Jew is a derogatory statement when used in this context; the fact that it SHOULDN'T BE is reason enough to get upset by its misuse.

Keep fighting the good fight Ravenwing.

Other Dave

6. ShakKen

ShakKen Specops Spook

I say we send a Galil toting Gholam to teach this jew punk some manners.

Like what a 5.56mm NATO does to a kneecap.

7. NTKB

NTKB Banned

Re: I can't believe this.

Im not saying it wasnt USED in a derogotory manner. That fact cannot be denied. However the fact I was pointing out was that this guy was dumb enough to think it SHOULD be used in a derogitory manner! See the difference?

And I agree with Ghost 100% on the Nig<b></b>ger term. That word has been tainted. It should be banned and never said again in American life. YOu can no longer call an ignorant person a nig<b></b>ger and the mention and thought of racism be brought up again. Nor will it ever change in the future as long as the truth of Americas evil slave holding past be remembered.

Jew on the other hand is something one can be proud of. Jews have controbuted greatly to this world. Asmodeus although you are a clanmate I gotta bust your balls here buddy. Dont take Isreal and Jewish and mold them together. Although Isreal contains many Jews they dont represent all the Jews in the world. That would be akin to saying whatever France does ruins the rep of French Canadians.

Plus can we keep politics out of one goddamn thread!!?! :D

8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Or CorvusCorax as he's now known

I don't want to start an argument with you A_Rimmerlister, but the use of the term "jew" in a derogatory manner is offensive to me on a great many levels. :mad:

And do you not think "STFU *******" is an appropriate response to someone who accused me of cheating on a public server based solely on the fact that I must have killed him a few too many times for his liking? :rolleyes:

Your suggestion that I was in fact cheating is so far from the mark that it needs no further comment. :mad:

9. MeckonOmega

MeckonOmega Meckon (Mech-on)

my 2 cents

Yes this guys scum and was using that in a derogotory manner.

And NO these terms should not be censored as they can be used in a proper context such as:

"Bailey is a Jew, Eimon is a Muslim, and a Scott is a Christian."

it all depends on what context they use them in, and I think it would a shame if they censored them, as it show that the moderators don't believe we can wield our words maturely, but I would support that move if they did do it b/c they would've only done it if it was necessary.

and ya, although they mean those words to be harmful, it just demonstates their ignorance and they are only insults if you are ashamed of what you are, which is pure insanity.

p.s. Jews aren't a race, Sammy Davis Jr. was a jew (correct use of word)

10. bastardb

bastardb New Member

i know some games with a tight group of guys that know mostly everyone... they ban people from all servers for calling somethig gay or ANY hint of hatred of racism

its a pretty decent bunch of guys

too bad im not the admin of that server

11. shadowkil

shadowkil New Member

bah. if racial slurs are so bad, why are sexual slurs okay? you damned shotgun whore, you fag, you homo, this thread is gei, etc etc

i guess it's because black people, for example are okay and people that are promiscuous or not heterosexual are to be shunned and their labels can be acceptably used as insults.

sure, those kinds of slurs aren't used seriously or with real meaning behind them most of the time, but some are implying that using a racial slur, even in jest is not okay... bleh.

12. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Like I said : I can't see how a person you don't even know manages to piss you of by saying you're a jew ?
    The 'cheater'-reference is IMHO a greater insult (if you are not cheating) than anything else ...

Either politely ask why he/she thinks you were cheating or don't respond at all.
    Using insults like that puts you on his level ...
    This type of player simply tries to piss you off so it will influence your game.
    Guess what ? He succeeded as you responded instead of continued playing.

And think about this :
    someone typing is either dead/ghost => no threat at all
    or he is a sitting duck => an easy kill ...

13. G-Fresh

G-Fresh Red

No

Like I said earlier, Recon Marine is just an arsehole, you're giving him too much credit

14. UTProphet

UTProphet Trial By Fire

You have it backwards. Jews are a race. There are people of many nationalities that are of the Jewish race.

To be Israeli is a nationality. Jewish is a race as much as people call blacks a race. Take it from a Jew (me).

P.S. - To be called a Jew the way that guy did IS derogatory. It can be taken different ways in context. In this case, it goes along the same way as ****** or kike.

[Edit] haha, ni<b></b>gger is edited, but kike is not. now THAT is funny [/Edit]

15. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

Re: Re: I can't believe this.

no, of course they don't, but you well know stereotypes aren't born after a careful study of every subject:rolleyes:

I think Jewish people should stop acting like paranoïd little bitches about WWII, they are starting to piss me off!:(

16. jlamb_vo

jlamb_vo {GD}Spunky{Pfc}

The first time I heard the word 'jew' employed in a derogotory manner I wasn't quite sure how to react. I think I just stared at the person with my lips pursed in a '...wtf..?!' fashion. It makes about as much sense to me as calling something gay or whorish or plastic as an insult.

Someone does have to let themselves be offended by a comment for it to be offensive obviously. However it is fairly obvious Recon Marine considered that to be an insult. That alone simply reduces my respect for him to nil without even meeting the guy.

I don't think any word should be censored. Language is just a system of signs that hold arbritrary meaning. It makes me sad to see people use words like 'gay' and 'jew' as an insult. It clearly implicates that someone who is homosexual or jewish does not have the same capacities as a straight christian, for instance.

But I also want to try hard not to hate someone or judge them absolutely for something like that. Someone grows up hearing those words thrown around as insults so casually it loses all intrinsic meaning. I know people who call something 'gay' out of habit to say its inferior, but don't even consider its conotation of homosexuals (hell 'gay' used to mean happy... which makes even less sense of course). Black people can call each other 'nig ger.' Its just language.

It suggests of course that there is a deep, institutionalized prejudice in our langauge, and the emergence of these terms used as insults only reinforce that.

But you can't beat prejudice out of someone.

17. NTKB

NTKB Banned

Re: Re: Re: I can't believe this.

Asmodeus your reasoning is shocking... I am not going to bash you on a public forum but that is ridiculous reasoning...

It has nothing to do with careful studys of every person. You cannot lump a whole race of ppl into one stereotype. In fact stereotypes are the apitimy of ignorance. My God man think about that.

As I said earlier your words are quite shocking... I didnt expect that to come from you. If you wish to continue this conversation then we will do so via PM or ICQ. Please do not continue this here in the public forums for the sake of the clan.

18. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

there's nothing shocking in what I said, I'll explain to you on ICQ

19. <P^R>Imperial

<P^R>Imperial Bleh

Actually im kinda shocked Asmo said that.

20. Nightmare

Nightmare Only human

Racial slurs are quite common as insults, especially here where
    you don`t really see very many people who aren`t white.
    One of my best friends is a racist, though I can´t remember any
    time he`s had trouble with anyone of a different race.
    If he calls someone a jew, it`s not meant as a compliment.

Lack of education is one possible reason. Try asking about it
    next time :) I know this friend of mine isn`t too clear on how
    the world really looks, but he´s got other fine qualities.