1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Racing Games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mr. Scary, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Speedemupus-Guitarist-Shreddish

Well I'm not "the" Mr. Scary, as in George Lynch (my avatar pic is a humor shot of him btw). But I've been using "Mr. Scary" as my gaming callsign for as long as I can remember.

Well I looked up Grid and it appears Codemasters took the server offline. I hear they're developing a sequel to it so that might be interesting as their F1 2010 was a decent release.

Yeah I used to play the entire Need for Speed catalog ....right up until Shift came out. I am sooooo ticked at them for releasing DLC for consoles only, once Shift came out that I'll probably never buy a NFS series title again.

2. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

:(

You no remember me from the Planet Unreal days of yore :(

3. Mr. Scary

LOL, sorry man. Now that you mention PU, your name definately rings a bell :D

4. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Trackmania - I've spent hours and hours playing that game, raced in a few tournaments, and have a few tracks in circulation.

For any of you who play...if you ever play a map called "Tie the Knot" check the author's name. :B

I don't play it regularly now, unless someone invites me to play. If you want to jump on a server, send me a IM in steam. I'm in the BU group.

Oh...and don't assume that just because my steam account is playing TM that I'm playing. I've got two 7 yr old boys that play it all the time too. :lol:

Outside of Trackmania, I'm a die-hard racing sim fan. I have played the heck out of Grand Torismo and Forza. I even raced in a few leagues in Forza before my 360 died. Unfortunately, there are no good* racing sims for the PC.

*Emphasis on "good" because all the PC racing sims suck donkey nuggets. And games like NFS are not sims.

5. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

The GTR franchise is a pretty damn good PC sim in my opinion.

There's also a bunch of free/indie sims out there like rFactor and Live for Speed that are great too. Many others I can't even think of at them moment. In terms of simulation, I think they're way more hardcore than Forza or even Gran Turismo. Forza for example, has become slightly more arcadey and easy with each release.

6. Mr. Scary

Not sure if you've ever tried it but I'd highly recommend GTR2 or the Race series (both by SimBin). Those are the best I've ever played and are highly acclaimed. I know they're working on a much-needed GTR sequel at some point which I'm pretty psyched for.

I haven't tried rFactor yet though but I've heard nothing but good stuff about that one as well.

7. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

Richard Burns Rally FTW)

8. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

I've tried it, but wasn't impressed. I am hoping that their next one is good.

They have GOT to get more cars in their portfolio. That's part of the fun of sims is experimenting with so many different cars.

9. Entr0p1cLqd

Entr0p1cLqd New Member

The first "Flat Out" game was a pretty decent racer if you had a wheel as it was quite tricky with a keyboard. Definitely a flawed gem.

The sequel broke the handling by simplifying it and added insult to injury by making the tracks straight with 90 degree corners.

10. [GU]elmur_fud

[GU]elmur_fud I have balls of Depleted Uranium

I always wanted a Mario kart style mode for UT with UT style vehicles and chars and weapons... but add pickups and stunts. Kinda Unwheel meets Twisted Metal with achievements and madness. Not very SimBin I know...

11. Mr. Scary

Yeah totally agree. It sucks that the good gaming companies like SimBin can't afford to compete against EA, among other publishers, who can afford to shell out $$$ for tracks, Ferrari, etc. Granted the gaming community made a lot of good add-on cars for GTR2, but I'd prefer that to come from SimBin.