UE3 - UT3 Quick Reference for Hierarchy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

frost0fractal

Frost0Fractal
Mar 13, 2008
NY
Hey all.

I'm looking for a quick rundown of how the hierarchy should work when exporting vehicles using ActorX.

I'm using Maya (2008) and I want to know things like the following:

- Does the root bone have to have a special name (or any bones for that matter)?
- Does my model have to be 1 single mesh?
- How do I want to bind the model to my rig? (smooth or rigid, and yes I know the difference, just looking to know the "right" way to do it)
- Do I want to just bind the whole model to the root bone, or can I bind separate parts to separate bones?

I'm sure one thread with all these little tips and the correct hierarchy to have would be extremely useful. I can't seem to get a straight answer about this stuff anywhere...

While things can be done in various ways I'm interested in knowing what the right way to do things is, or at least a way that works in UT3...

Thanks.

Last edited:

frost0fractal

Frost0Fractal
Mar 13, 2008
NY
thank you, that answered many of my later questions, so that's all well and good, I feel dumb sometimes when I scour the UDN and don't find what I'm looking for...

The only remaining thing is once again getting the hierarchy correct in Maya... in terms of parenting objects... ActorX doesn't like to export anything unless it's all parented underneath the root bone...

Anyone have any insights into that, and/or know the Exact Setup to make it magically work?

frost0fractal

Frost0Fractal
Mar 13, 2008
NY
As a followup, my Vehicle was showing up for a little bit when placed in a level, but now when I place it in there it's no longer visible, the entity is there, and I can change it's properties, but there is no visual...

Like it's not showing up in the Editor or in-game but I can place it...

OK, so I fixed half the problem, I copied all my files that were in the Unpublished folder into the Published one, and then rebuilt all my scripts, which made all my warnings go away, and now I can see my vehicle when I place it in the editor..

BUT, it still isn't there when I play the map...

Strikethrough comments no longer apply, however the above question about the PERFECT SETUP still applies...

Last edited: