Questions: RPG Database/UI features possible?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

falacy

Jan 12, 2006
After extensive research into "game engines", etc. I have decided that I would prefer to make my game (for my own personal use...) with the Unreal2Runtime OR Crystal Space. I am comfortable progaming in C++, but even so I am leaning more toward the runtime, as it seems to be a more sensibly laid out development suite. Consiquently, before I begin I need to know if some of the fundimental aspects of my project are indeed possible to create with the runtime.

The type of game I would like to make is a persistant world FPS-RPG, with the standard things such as a personal inventory, equipable clothing, etc. Below, I am going to list a few things that I need to know are possible. If you have time to respond, please do so with a "YES" or "NO" beside them. Thanks!

- Models with skins that change on the fly (like clothing, paint colour, etc)
- UI with "cursor select mode" and "mouse look mode"
- Positional Damage to characters (arms, head, legs, etc)
- Player placable/dropable objects on to maps (I would assume so)
- "Henchman" or "Pet" type characters that can associated to the active avitar

- Database, if so what type?
- UI Front-end for Database (Inventory, Skills, etc)

- Load multiple (upto 14) maps simaltainiosly on a single computer
- Network a single database to several computers running several maps that make up the entirety of a single world?
- Unlimited Similtainious Computer Opponents? (or is it limited to 64 characters total?)

Also, I have some conversion questions...

At the moment I can:
- Create 3D mesh objects & annimations (Blender/Milkshape3D)
- Create Textures (Gimp)
- Progam in C++

Are there any howto's on importing such items into UnrealEd, because from poking around it seems that all static meshes must be in unreal format inorder to use them. Basically, I'd like to know if I can take my current set of annimated characters from Milkshape & Blender and basicly drop them (or dynamically spawn them) into an Unreal map and have them work? Also, is any of my C++ knowldege "transferable" to Unreal Script or is it so fundimentally different I may as well not waste my time learning its propietary (non-transferable) design?

I thought I should point out the purpose and function of my project so as I do not get flamed....

Purpose: To make an educational, 3D FPS-type game for my kids
Function: To teach them to achieve co-operative goals in SAFE gaming environment - one that doesn't leave our house!

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The use of the words "game" and "UnrealEngine2 Runtime" in the same context is ruled out by the Runtime's EULA. If you want to make a game, you might be better off modding UT2004 or using a different engine.

The UnrealEngine allows to load only exactly one map. Nothing stops you from making it huge, though.
Creating objects at runtime (within very flexible boundaries defined by your classes) is possible, but you'll need to code many of the features like locational damage and those UI features yourself. UnrealScript should be powerful enough for that task, though. C++ knowledge certainly helps learning the language.

neai

^^
Jan 6, 2006
- Models with skins that change on the fly (like clothing, paint colour, etc)
- UI with "cursor select mode" and "mouse look mode"
- Positional Damage to characters (arms, head, legs, etc)
- Player placable/dropable objects on to maps (I would assume so)
- "Henchman" or "Pet" type characters that can associated to the active avitar
* Yes to all

- Database, if so what type?
- UI Front-end for Database (Inventory, Skills, etc)
* Yes, you can connect to other apps using TCP/UDP

- Load multiple (upto 14) maps simaltainiosly on a single computer
* Yes, by running up to 14 servers simultaneously on a single computer

- Network a single database to several computers running several maps that make up the entirety of a single world?
* Yes

- Unlimited Similtainious Computer Opponents? (or is it limited to 64 characters total?)
* AFAIK there's no hardcoded limt

I'd suggest either tio use UT2004 as base or to contact epic regarding purchase of licence for Runtime and headers. The engine build in UT2004 is prolly more optimized & up to date but you're limited to unrealscript, there aren't any dll headers available. If you're willing to purchase runtime licence & headers ask people at epic. Runtime headers will allow you to program engine enhancements in C++, but the underlying engine may be older & not so optimized. Without headers imo there's no point in using runtime for this kind of project.

You could start small, work on gameplay basics, then move to UT2007 once it's out - new engine apparently has beter support for very large maps.

falacy

Jan 12, 2006
Thanks for your replies.

mm... I'm still pretty uncertain as to what to use, as I really don't want to a) re-invent the gaming wheel and b) spend a whole lot of money my wife and I don't have on game engine.

I figured that I would start smart and make a simple negitive-space box map and write/test all of the game features in it. Those are hard parts and honestly, the most important ones too.

I find it absolutely amazing that no-one in the whole world (that I have found) has made a system to create a "skinable" FPS or Turn-based 3D RPG game. By "skinable" I mean simply change the models, textures, and items and voila, you have your very own game - of whatever type you want. All you need to do is add the content...

I've read a lot more on the forum here and you're right, going with the UT2004 mod would be better than using the runtime, if for nothing more than the updated networking.

I dunno, I'm begining to wonder if this project is really worth while and if I shouldn't just burn my computer and forget about it. My waist line would thank me, no doubt. I'd just like my kids to have a fun alternative to playing "everchanging" computer games than to WoW/SWG/EQ/D&DO with all of the... less than positive influences out there...

Last edited:

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
I find it absolutely amazing that no-one in the whole world (that I have found) has made a system to create a "skinable" FPS
All you need to do is add the content...

You just asked a rhetorical question as those go hand in hand. Its a lot of work creating any game. Simply adding 50'000 items of content is by no means any task that is defined as easy.

falacy

Jan 12, 2006
It's easy in a similar way to making a campain in Never Winter Nights is easy. Sure, it takes effort and talent to make it of good quality, but without the need to program (only script), a person is able to get down to the business of making a playable game months, even years, sooner. So in that sense, yes it is easier - by far.

Just for an update, after all this thinking what I've decided to do is use the crystal space engine. Though it only supports OpenGL, it is free and if I need to change the source I can.

Thank you very much for your input and best wishes with your projects!

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Well it depends. What exactly do you want to change with UT2004? Remember, UT2004 can be treated as just a rendering engine with the object management done for you. Almost everything can be done within UT2004, but things such as new rendering methods (Inclusion of DX9) or any native code (to handle 'slow' code fast) can't be written.

Yes, your example however is a little flawed. It is like saying that, to make a FPS game within UT2004 is much easier than NWN. Your looking at a game that is specifically designed for your purpose in mind so it is a little unfair.

Well none the less, good luck with your project.

StardogChampion

Dec 18, 2003
falacy said:
Are there any howto's on importing such items into UnrealEd, because from poking around it seems that all static meshes must be in unreal format inorder to use them.
Simply export to .ASE from your 3D app. Then go to the static mesh browser in UnrealEd then File > Import. You will want to import the textures first though.