Question about ballistics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Meplat said:
By "Trace" do you mean it's flightpath? I might have a display of M193 ball, but I doubt I have any M855 data.
Yes that's what I mean. There must be a way to calculate if u have barrel length.
If that's possible for other ammo types (7.62 sniper rounds, 7.62 AK rounds, 9mm rounds) it would be possible to implement new weapons with their own, real ballistics, rather than having multiple weapons in the game using the same ballistics.

-Freshmeat

Eternally noob
Dec 4, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
I do not think it would be feasible to make theoretical trajectories based on bullet and barrel. If we want it 100% accurate, I think we will need actual measurements. Anyway, the engine uses a quite accurate ballistics model, so I think the easy way around would be to measure bullet drop at a handfull of distances aand make a best fit by fiddling. You should be able to supply reference material yourself with a little help from some of your friends, if you have a way to steady the gun to a strict horizontal line

-Freshmeat

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
One can get (This is outside of the game) an idea of where a bullet will go, given a projectile weight, the propellant (quantity, and type) barrel length, it's rate of twist, the altitude it's fired at, the angle of departure, and (yes, there's more) the temprature, and humidity. There are a number of ballistic computation programs that do this. You can get really strange with some of them, such as using a 93 grain,SD-1 (Sectional Density of 1.00) .50" diameter slug driven from a 30 " tube at 4500 FPS. Plug in the numbers, and they'll spit out what SHOULD happen.

I checked my collection of crap, and all I have left are pictures of bullets going through windshields, and body armor. One can look through a book like "Cartridges of the World" for a common round like the M-193. It should have flat trajectory drops out to 1000 yards. ("Hold Overs" basically.)

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Beppo said:
Every Weapon can use its own projectile class if needed and every projectile class can do their own ballistics if needed. Actually they do this already.
So, what's your point?
As far as I understand there are several weapons, at least new ones, that used the ballistics of already existing weapons (like both M4 and M16A4 using FAMAS ballistics or somehting). Please correct me if I misunderstood.

BTW as for humidity and stuff, if it's insignificant for snipers within reasonable level, it should be insignificant for a computer game. Additionally, you can assume the weapon was zeroed for the current map's humidity and temprature.
As for angels, I hope it can be done easily code-wise :p

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Beppo said:
Nobody forces the 'mod-modders' to use already existing projectile classes.
It is just easier to use one that 'fits' instead of creating your own with its own property values.
Never said they have to. I was just trying to find a way to get the real ballistics for the new weapons so the makers can implement them.

Iceman

Who Dares Wins
Oct 6, 1999
Australia
Visit site
M-193. It should have flat trajectory drops out to 1000 yards. ("Hold Overs" basically.)
Hold overs at 1000y with a .223 and still expect any level of accuracy? hahaha :D .

If you want to work out some ballistics tables do a google search for Q-Ball or Ballistic Generator 4.13 you just need to enter Muzzel velocity, Bullet weight, Ballistic coefficiant (B.C) and sight height and both will give you pretty accurate charts of bullet drop, windage/MPH, Time of flight and remaining energy and momentum out to 1000y (I think Q-ball might goto 1200y).
I've tested the charts from Ballistic gen v4.13 out to 600y using a .243 win and they were usally within a MOA of where the bullet was going. The diffrence in drop could be marked up to the fact i don't have a Chronograph and i had to go off of the stated velocities in reloading manuels.

Hope this helps

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
There's a program called Barne's Bullets, in which you can manually enter a wide variety of characteristics for bullets (and a rifle, if your's isnt already in the list) and analyze the statistics and flight path of it. Although I think its only for hunting.

[edit] you won't find 7.62x51mm on either of those lists.

Last edited:

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Iceman- reread my post. "Flat trajectory" refers to no induced elevation, not the path the bullet will take. Also, there is a huge diffrence between theoretical ballistics, that is, what the bullet is capable of, and actual ballistics which factors in atmospheric and shooter induced variances.

Personally, If I have to shoot something at 1000 yards with precision, I would beg, or borrow a friend's 20X139 Lahti.