1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Quantum Cowboys

Discussion in 'Mod/Mutator Ideas' started by TseTse, Aug 16, 2003.

1. TseTse

TseTse Pong Paddle Jockey

[​IMG]

EDIT: there is a MUTATOR idea down at the bottom, as well as the mod idea in this 1st post...

Hiyas. Was lookin at the xpac stuff and realized i had forgotten this little community!! Anyways... I'm trying to poke around...

I'm TseTse. Recently, I've done mapping for Shattered Oasis. I expect to do more maps with that mod, but I'm one of those types who has multiple projects going all the time.

Thus, "Quantum Cowboys." http://www.stgstudios.com/docs/Cowboys/

Link is to old design doc. We started about a year ago, doing a demo on the Torque engine. We then moved to unreal, mostly a bunch of mappers at that point... and even almost teamed up with Conquest Marines.

Anyways...

Here's the idea in a nutshell. Skim around that site for more of a sense of where the idea has "come from" (and witness my bad concept art).

SIMPLE, fun, addicting gameplay based around 1-2 weapons and nice physics. The idea is to develop around the core rifle and player physics... playtestign ideas from there... and moving within the design framework at all times.

1. rifle with night scope + 1 shock or whiteout nade (simple, with little to no splash in this game)
    2. player "burst" options of jump boots + 1-time use jets (MOVEMENT = EVERYTHING)

3. advanced droids/mecha for defense & offense
    4. 1-2 vehicles oriented around teamplay and transport (not combat)
    5. light sabres for close-up melee combat

simple.

the elements are organized by importance there, as #1 & #2 are really what i want to see working ASAP and play-tested within a couple template map layouts.

i.e. i want to just play and play and playtest until we get a solid rifle or two, plus the proper range of player movement with the two burst systems working. when i play the #1 game online (counter strike), i respect the simplicity of this game and the lack of splash damage. i am inspired by that, but also inspired by game titles like Unreal, Natural Selection, Tribes, Battlefield, Planetside, etc...

i just want to focus on the core rifle/physics for now, and revamp the concept art in the next few months.

id love feedback on this idea... and to see if any coders want to chip in, or recommend folks to talk to.

im pretty darn serious about makign this happen, either for UT2k4 or Tribes: Vengeance (late 2004, unreal engine).

the team i have is mostly very experienced mappers, who have done work in many games.

im really hoping to also find some talented concept artists who want to help conceive of final models for the players and droids, and such.

i do not want to make yet another "futuristic marines with bew-bew guns" mod.

i imagine something more akin to 2100AD, with a weapon that feels more like a m4, and to cut back on splash damage altogether within the game.

ANYWAYS, im rambling....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2003
  2. TseTse

btw, we're in a moment of totally rethinking the design doc for this mod.

atm, im toying with the following 3 gametypes (in order of development/importance)

1. team arena (i.e. search and destroy)
    2. racing (a ground, scout vehicle)
    3. ctf (includes the quantum resource system for enabling advanced assets like the mecha droids, satelites and mobile base systems)

this is all open to revision, but you can see the focus on getting solid, fun, simple FPS gameplay with layers of more complexity... but not movign too far from the core.

3. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Sorry to get off topic here (and you'd think I know better since I run the place :rolleyes: ) but you're the guy who made all of them excellent maps for Shattered Oasis?

They better be paying you :D

4. TseTse

yea, that's me. getting paid to make maps wouldnt be bad. :D

so... i just redid the mod's concept page and posted a modified concept render. http://www.stgstudios.com/docs/Cowboys/

:D fun fun fun

[​IMG]

5. TseTse

currently, im also toying with the idea of a MUTATOR using some of the assets of this mod.

1. provided a new default rifle which is stronger, had night vision scope, and 1 nade.

2. gave players a new default weapon, a darth-maul style saber (maybe 3 new anim seqs).

3. replaced all weaps with 1-2 new weapons (an RPG type gun and a HMG), but left the lightning gun as is.

this mutator could turn gameplay into low-splash combat, with new melee dimension and also make the shield really useful. but it wouldnt be just straight ping-whoring like IG.

this could be a nice alternative to IG and NW.

6. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

Judging from the number of IG servers, no one wants an alternative. Isn't that pathetic? "oh I can't kill in one hit, I don't want to play"

Sure it can be used to help your aim. To help you aim with the NON-instant-death weapons.

I look forward to this myself :)

7. TseTse

yea...

atm, here's my plan for a mutator:

1. new rifle replaces Flak and adds whole new tactical element to gameplay
    2. RL takes approx twice as long to reload, thus becoming more of a specialized weapon (mostly alt-fire use)
    3. slightly boosted pause before able to fire, when switching any/all weapons
    4. everything else remains as is...

This is manageable and i think some subtle changes to the arsenal that will have dramatic effect on gameplay but not completely change it.

I'm already coding this rifle, and have a buddy working on a model (i also have a simple model almost done, if he doesnt get it finalized in next month).

However, Im not a real coder. I may need assistance with the Rifle's nightvision in particular.

I'll post again, an update and newbie-screams for help if i get stuck :D

8. Sumguy

Sumguy New Member

Sorry to go off topic Tsetse.

Call me pathetic but IG rules. It doesn't mean that no one wants alternatives. I hate Reg Weapons in 2k3 (one reason is that if you know the map weapons layout, you can wipe the floor with everyone else). IG puts you on even ground with the enemy. It's your skill against theirs with no shields or superior weapons to get in the way. The best man wins. It's a shame IGers can't get the full experience out of UT but we're pretty happy with what we've got. It's not used to help you aim for regs, it's for fun.(Invasion is used for that, hehe)