1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Q4] I am a sheep

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hal, Apr 9, 2006.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Okay, I just bought Quake 4. I couldn't stomach paying $50.00 for a game that I knew in my heart would not be worth it. So I waited. I picked it up for $29.99 - and that I can live with.

I bought it knowing that
    1. The multiplayer aspect would likely suck and is dead online already
    2. No bots "out of box".
    But God help me... I bought it anyway. It's Quake. I had to. I am a sheep.

I'm only about a third of the way into it and I am already somewhat disappointed. The enemy characters look plastic and the NPCs have weird lighting on their faces. The game is overly bright in some places and retardedly dark in others. I mean - who works in these conditions?

Let me also say that I really liked DOOM3 for what it was. No, not a lot of replayability about it, but the battles were INTENSE. So far, in Quake 4 I've died once (one of the "kill the turret while you ride on rails" sections) and I've never really felt on edge. Perhaps it's the massive amount of hand-holding you get in the part I've played so far - the "rails" shooting galleries and being surrounded by marines.

I will say that the marines part was neat in that you could use crossfire tactics with them pretty well and the AI was reasonably good.

So my question is.... does it get better?

baaaaaaaaaaa

2. KillStreak

KillStreak I posted in the RO-me thread
    and all I got was
    a pink username!

I wouldnt know I couldnt finish it because like every quake game the single player just goes down the drain from the start.

3. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

L:et's hope UT2007 shows fast to SAVE THIS MAN'S SOUL!

You poor, poor man :(

4. Chaser

Chaser Boi BOI!!!!

I thought the game was good. I liked the single player alot better then Doom 3. I felt like the action never stopped. I almost beat the game in one sitting, i just couldnt get up to leave cause of the story. It gets better once you become a strogg though. I also like how the NPC's stay with you throughout the game. Each Marine has character which i really enjoyed in the russian tech guy(forgot his name.... sledge? i dunno...). Anyways, I thought it was a good game. Stick it out, it gets better.

5. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

Marry me! :')

6. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

Glad there are other people who enjoyed D3 other than me. I ended up having to write a review of it for all my friends who "didnt play it and wasnt planning to" cos they "heard it was crap". It's not hl2, it's something of it's own. If you think it sucks because you can't see anything, you either failed to understand the point of the game or it just wasn't your thing. I even bought the expansion, but it wasn't as great.

Anyway, Q4. I kinda enjoyed the SP campaign, but there were bits which made me think "god, not this again" and "bah when is this part over".
    Yeah it was pretty easy, but I dont mind trudging along a path once in a while, just soaking up the action and playing it like an action movie.
    It had some cool parts. If you havent read any spoilers, there will be a couple of neat bits.

7. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I never liked Doom 3. The beginning was cool because it was "OMG DOOM!" but later after having the exact same "dark corner, hellspawn jumps out" tactics used on me I got bored and stopped playing it.

Quake 4 was more of the same, IMO. I got bored really fast at the beginning. I sucked it up and made it through the Strogg part, which was cooler but I was already bored out of my mind with the story and the same Doom 3 tactics (or worse, Q2 SP scare tactics) that I quit playing it as well. Neither game really bursted my bubble, or even came close to touching the bubble.

8. AriTheDog

AriTheDog frog steering expert

I thought the AI squad based parts were fantastic, and the characterization of your squadmates was pretty good. Unfortunately, the parts where you're running around by yourself just aren't that fun, and some of the puzzles and boss battles were pretty bad. Overall, I'd say it was a good game, on par with other Id games. Just Id now faces stronger competition in terms of quality than it used to. The bar has been raised but a plethora of games.

9. Synastren

Synastren Explodious!

Quoted for Truth (TM).

I found that the vehicles were an interesting touch. They were a little strange and felt a bit awkward, but they were still strangely fun. The on-rails shooting sequences were stupid, but I thought they were quite easy (sorry hal); the story was interesting, and it was good to see what happened after Q2. The run in with the new Macron was not-quite-surprising, but it was rather anxiety producing (and it took me about 30 minutes to find out how to lose correctly), so that was good.

To be honest, I'm going to say I liked the graphics on the 360 better. Not superior, I think, but better. If nothing else, people didn't look like they were G.I. Joes.

10. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

As a side note, I must say the doom 3 marines are one of my favourite characters of all time, at least as far as the regular "grunt marine" goes.
    I loved their full helmets and how they were scifi without being hockey masks or something out of a power rangers flick.

11. sid

sid I posted in the RO-me thread
    and all I got was
    a pink username!

The biggest problem with doom3 is that the id took over 8 yrs to release it and it was nothing out of the blue.

As for quake4 I still havent played it, so personally, no comments.

12. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

Hey hal, I just bought it too, it's ok but I went back and played Quake 2 and to be honest even though it's a hell of a lot older it's miles better.

13. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

If you didn't like Q4, you can always send me yours so I can "evaulate" it myself. I'm cheap, and don't want to spend money on a possibly-crap game.

Killstreak-you didn't like Quake or Quake2 single player? Those were awesome games.

EDIT: I still haven't finished Doom3. I'm somewhere in Delta Labs. Goes on forever and ever.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  14. BmB23

BmB23 Take a pick!

I liked doom3 because... well... I saw some of middle to final levels at friends and even just looking it being played was "What happens next, what happens next?"

"WHAT FREAKING HAPPENS NEXT?"

I do however hate the engine... I **** on how revolutionizing it is, it looks like plastic covered in ****.

every bit of it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  15. Neddaf

Neddaf Just a flesh wound!

I don't understand how a multiplayer can be dead so fast yet have there be so much money for it in tournaments?

16. MrSmiles

MrSmiles selimsrm

I thought Doom3 was good (MP was terrible) but it's doom and it is a SP game

Quake however is more of a MP game, they got Q4 a little mixed up IMO

17. Warm Pudgy

Warm Pudgy i wanna be a nazi mod like swarthy

i copied someones dvd at a lan, after quake 2 i vowed id never buy another quake game again

but quake 4 wasnt all that bad, the AI was superb
    the biggest thing i didnt like was the vehicles though, slow, boring

and i thought it was too easy, i started off on normal or what ever it was called, and ended up switching over to hard half way thru

i then tried multiplayer on a lan the other week, only played for a whole 2 minutes before going back to BF2

18. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

Aw what, I loved Q2 SP, and it was the first MP game I "got into" :D
    I even loved the music. Even today Kill Ratio, Rage, and Operation Overlord are some of my all-time fave tunes.

19. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

I bought Quake 4 primarily for single player because TBH i never cared for Quake 3 style multi. I really wish they didnt use the D3 engine because it doesnt really feel like Quake, but more like a slightly lighter and more graphical D3. It does get better once you get further in the game, but if your not liking it very much right now, then you probably never will.

20. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Q2 single player was awesome. Multiplayer rocked, too. I don't know how much time I spent in CTF and deathmatch.