publishing my UT webpage

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
ok, I managed to get at least an initial version of my Mac related UT webpage done, mostly so people will quit asking why UT keeps crashing on them (I personally had UT crash like a million times until I was told I was decompressing the files wrong).

anyway, wanted to have recommendations on where to publish it. Graphics wise and the like, it's sad, but I have neither the talent nor any real reason to sass it up any. It's not that long or anything. I need to publish it and get the word out. I figure I can e-mail the top 3 mac gaming news websites to see if there interested, but mostly I need a good place to put it that won't make me put banners and crap everywhere and won't yank my page for some reason or another.

my options...?
1. AOL (I am, unfortunaely, a member)
2. tripod
3. geocities
4. ?

also how would I go about getting recognized buy the UT community also? I mean, I might be able to get warren to put a link up (for more information on installation, go to...) but what about other sites? Hell, i'm not even really sure the sites worth looking at. I never know if much of what I make is any good until someone else gives me their opinion and outlook on it...

oh well. suggestions?

Loki

Oct 7, 1999
Ottawa/Ontairo/Canada
Visit site
Could you clarify what the objective of the web site is?

what ever you do... Dont use Xoom! its evil! banners everywhere, shudder...

The best thing you can do is to get a DSN address. But you will have to get a server or use your own computer, and dish out $70. So it may not be worth it.

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 03-02-2000).]

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
for my incrdibly pathetic page, 70$ aint worth it.

the point is that people keep coming to this board (and others) asking relatively simple questions about using UT for mac that arent really answered anywhere else. I wanted to have a place to answer these questions, and a place to pose questions and answer them for the whole community of mac users. There isnt too much thats different, but when it crashes it's for different reasons and in diffrent ways than on a PC that makes people who don't know macs scratch their heads and shrug.

Loki

Oct 7, 1999
Ottawa/Ontairo/Canada
Visit site
well I did a search for 'free webpages' and I found several:

- www.anglefire.com

- www.webspawner.com
never used, or heard this one
- www.gameingplanet.com/freewebpage.html
Dont know about this one, I checked out their site and came up with a lot of broken links.
- www.freeyellow.com
This one looks quite good

Also I found a page of free webpage links here]www.mnsinc.com/ingham/webpages.html]here[/url][/URL]

And, if you need any help I would be glad to give a hand. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
- Loki

Loki

Oct 7, 1999
Ottawa/Ontairo/Canada
Visit site
Wait,cancel that, Angelfire sucks I just checked their main page and after a few seconds if floods you with "Spam Windows". Even worse than banners.
Forget about Webspawners and Gameing planet.

So the best thing to use is freeyellow, 12megs of space aint so bad.

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 03-02-2000).]

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
yeah, that sounds pretty good to me!

angelfire was more or less out of the question to begin with...the only reason one would want that is if they want their stuff left alone, since angelfire is supposedly very lenient on content. I don't think I'll be having that problem...

next problem...finding a way to make my page look good without having it look cheesy because of my total lack of experience and ability.

that, I guess, is the next piece of advice I need.

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
not like composer isnt totally braindead...

lets give this all a shot. I'll upload an EXTREMELY barebones version while waiting on ideas and the like, try and get some links. Work on it in the meantime.

THANKS A LOT LOKI!!!!!!!!!!!

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
or ask Planet Unreal to host you, hmm no, sinse there probably won't be anything other than your problem solution. Nevermind.

I think I want to get hosted soon, I'm working on a page too to showcase my skins and other art work. But I am in the same place as thornz, don't know what the hell I'm doing. Oh well, I'll learn.

Damn I got to go to bed, I have to be at work at 7 am /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

------------------
"What's your major malfunction numbnuts!
Didn't Mommy or Daddy hold you enough when you were a child?!"
*Blam* -FMJ

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
I'm trying freeyellow right now, but they are being a bit buggy. I uploaded a page, without naming it correctly (which they don't TELL YOU anywhere, even though their selling point is letting morons on the web), and I go to rename the page or delete it, and it leads me toa blank page and nothing happens. I'm about frustrated enough to quit.

Idrive and other places just let ou use te disk space they give you as websites, maybe I'll try that next.

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
aww crud. Nix that. If all else fails, then that would be cool, but the webspace they give you is exclusively for directing to content of your Idrive. Well, not really, but since you have to go through Idrive to get to it (logging in, ect) whats the point in having a webpage.