1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

.psa files from existing .ukx?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by Mischa, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mischa

Mischa New Member

I'd like to add a set of animations, existing in a .ukx, to another one in a different .ukx, so I guess I need the .psa files from the first .ukx, to import them in the new .ukx package. Problem is, I don't know how to do it (never did anything in modeling/animating before, just scripting), and all the tutorials I found explain how to import .psa files in ued, not how to extract them from existing packages. Is there any plugin for maya PLE or similar software, or any option in ued, allowing to find/export .psa files from a .ukx?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  2. Dandeloreon1984

Dandeloreon1984 CXP Director

it is posible, if you know how the psa format is done :), you just need to look at the utpf, on the utpt site, and the documentation provided on the udn site.

3. Mischa

Mischa New Member

No, I don't know how it is done exactly - from what I've read on a UDN tutorial about the actorX plugin I guess it's the file containing the animations you generate in Maya or 3dsMax before exporting to ued, where you use the .psk and .psa to create the .ukx in the animation browser, but I don't know how to create a .psa, I never used 3dsMax or Maya. So that's why I was looking for something which allowed me to do the opposite thing, and get an already existing .psa, else I would have to remake all animations starting from the .psk of the models (?), and that could be a real trouble.

Many thx for the info, I didn't know anything about utpt and utpf. From the description on the site I think that's what I was looking for, and it seems very useful anyway.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  4. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

You can't extract .psa files from .ukx files. When .psa files are imported they are (supposedly) changed in such a way as to make extraction not really possible (data rearrangement/compression?). My suggestion to you is to simply open the package with the animations you want to move to the other package, go to the animation menu at the top of the animation browser, and rename the animation set to the new package you want (just change the package name). Just make sure you DO NOT SAVE the original package since you just removed an animation set from it. Save your new animation package. Close UED. Now when you reopen UED, the original package will still have the animation set you want, and your new package will have a copy of the animation set.

5. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Well thanks, this sounds even easier.

edit - it worked, but I think the skeletons of the two packages are different, so in the new package the mesh of the models seems really weird while using the new animations.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  6. Vailias

Vailias New Member

yep. Thats the issue. Every skeleton has a different joint setup. The male to female differences are slight, but they are different.
    The best solution would be to make a copy of the skeleton in maya/mayaple (check in this thread for the script that can generate proper skeletons) and make it do the animations you want, then export the PSA that way, Or see if you can get someone to do it for you since you said you don't have a whole lot of experience in that area.

7. Mischa

Mischa New Member

I guess this will be the way since there are a lot of animations I'm interested to, doing it personally would definitely be out of my possibilities. I'll try to animate a skeleton in Maya PLE anyway, just to learn something new.

8. meowcat

meowcat take a chance

@Mischa: Vailias has it exactly right. Find which ever set of animations would best fit the player model you want to use. Find the maya / max source of the skeleton used in that animation set and rig your model to it. Then animate only those animations that you need (not already included in the animation set) to help you save days and days of time. This is the way Hegi did the aniamtions for Face Off (at least it appears that way).

9. Mischa

Mischa New Member

Yeah understood, but I'm not able to animate, else I would have done it in first instance. Anyway I started looking at Milkshape, it seems having a lower learning-curve than Maya PLE, or Max (Max well, I simply don't have it, and Maya PLE seems great, but complicates some passages like importing .psk files, that is a matter of seconds in Milkshape instead). Actually I was able to start animating in Milkshape, with the original UT skeletons/meshes, so that's quite good - only problem, time, for a complete n00b like me :D