1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PS3 pricing debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TossMonkey, Mar 20, 2009.

?

Is the PS3 overpriced?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

Remember when the first Blu-Ray players were literally $1000? And the 60 GB PS3 was $600? Both of them extremely expensive, but you were pretty much getting a next-gen game console for $100 coupled with a Blu-Ray player for half the price of any other on the market. Not bad.

edit - And I don't know if this is a fact, but it was said that Sony was losing money on PS3's? They costed more to produce than the price they sold them for, and they made up the lost money through game sales? Can anyone confirm this?

edit - Yup: The PlayStation 3's initial production cost is estimated to have been US$805.85 for the 20 GB model and US$840.35 for the 60 GB model.[71] However, they were priced at US$499 and US$599 respectively,[72] meaning that every unit was sold at an estimated loss of $250,[71]

How can you complain? How often do you actually get to buy consumer goods for less than the production cost? $250 less none the less! That's incredible.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

as a gaming console, yes.
    as a media center with a blu-ray player, no.

3. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

It's more than I would be willing to pay for it, unless I was also interested in buying a Blu-Ray player.

I agree with what others have said: it's not overpriced, but it's too expensive.

4. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

I'm with Hal here. I want a PS3, there are a number of games that appeal to me for it, but right now I'm behind on excellent 360 games and while it's WORTH the price, it's too much for me to put down. Some people prefer ps3 games, some 360. I happen to fall in the 360 crowd so there's not that much incentive for me to grab sony's machine (uncharted, ratchet and clank, everyday shooter and Killzone 2 are pretty much the only games I'm dying to play. Well, when Heavy Rain comes out, then that's the one I MOST want).

When they drop the price a good $100 it'll become worth it, until then, it's just tempting.

~Jason

5. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

Pretty much when any console is released, excepting Nintendo of course.
    ________
    Amazingbooty4U Cam

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  6. SimplyCosmic

SimplyCosmic ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

7. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

So you haven't got one of those 'free' mobile phones ?

Or what about a printer ? Got one ? Checked the prices on inktcartridges lately ?

Selling 'below production cost' is a standard tactic if you are forced to buy something else to use said product.
    // ---
    Given how MS is treating Europe and how (horrible) Sony has been to us in the past I doubt that the 'free' playstation-store will have anything worth buying for us.
    Not that I would want to 'buy' anything though, because it's more like renting with no guarantee that you can use the stuff you buy.

8. KaiserWarrior

KaiserWarrior Flyin' High

The console has a high price.

It is not overpriced, considering the hardware inside of it.

It's basically the modern-day Neo-Geo. Top-of-class features for a premium price.

9. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

Not really though. There are a few areas where the 360 beats it, mainly memory usage and GPU.

I think most of that cost just goes into a low-end Blu-Ray player and the production of Cell processor, which has been found to bring diminished returns where gaming is concerned.
    ________
    Colorado marijuana dispensaries

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  10. Iron Archer

Iron Archer Holy ****ing King of Trolls

Tell that to Hideo Kojima or anyone who has played MGS4... or even Killzone 2 for that matter.

11. anaemic

anaemic she touch your penis?

in the uk theyre giving away free ps3s with phone contracts
    the xbox 'elite' package is £230 a ps3 80gb is £300

12. Twisted Metal

Fair argument, but $250 less is pretty damn good... Especially for a console that supports pirated content out of the box.

13. Crotale

Crotale _________________________ _______________

Actually, the PS3 is one of the highest rated Blu-Ray players on the market. And Killzone 2 looks phenomenal on the PS3.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  14. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I agree with this post. Except that Killzone 2 doesn't interest me at all, nor Heavy Rain. There are several interesting looking games on PS3, but there are more and more interesting games on the 360 and PC for me for now. I also never bought a PS2. Guess I just don't buy hype machines ;)

15. Twisted Metal

Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of the blu-ray player on the PS3.

edit - Hell, I'm still happy that I bought a PS3 for nothing but Metal Gear. That was honestly one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. Can't put a price tag on that. ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  16. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

If the ps3 does support piracy then wy isn't it more popular ?
    Or could it be that there's not enough content to pirate for the system ?

OTOH there are better/cheaper systems if you want to listen/watch audio/video from a 'backup' medium ...

17. Twisted Metal

Hmm? I'm talking about movies specifically. It already has all the codecs you need, no converting needed. Just transfer and play. :D

18. gades

gades The Grudge Master!

I'm waiting for the price to come down somewhat (it may have to soon if it wants to remain competitive with 360, price wise at least). Also, more classic games at lower prices overall.

I'm a "little" stingy when it comes to my cash.

19. B

B Bee

QFT!

20. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

I haven't voted yet!

ZING!

Anyroad, the PS3 is getting pretty much full usage from me right now. I use it for blu-ray, music, movies on the hard drive, internet, and gaming. And you can get a PS3 with most contract phones in the UK for free. It's pretty obsurd really. It may be at a high(ish) price but what you get out the box is no less than fantastic.

I'm going to break it down a little.

Arcade £129.99

No wireless networking, no rechargable batteries, no headset, no hard-drive, no HD cables, no network cables, no free online gaming (add £210 to make it £340 if you want equivalent to a PS3)

Premium £169.99

No wireless networking, no rechargable batteries, no free online gaming (add £125 to make it £295 if you want equivalent to a PS3)

Elite £229.99

No wireless networking, no rechargable batteries, no free online gaming (add £125 to make it £355 if you want equivalent to a PS3)

PS3

£299.99

No headset or HDMI cable will bring the price to probably £325. (£20 for a decent headset and you can get a HDMI cable as cheaps as £5, don't fall into the trap of gold plated rubbish because the signal is digital not analogue)

What you also don't get with the 360 is Blu-Ray, and if you bought into HD-DVD then you have pretty much been burned with a now defunct £130 add-on. Ouch! You also do not get full-fat internet access unlike the PS3.

The 360 then is barely a cheaper console, it also has less features and to be honest because of the poor build quality and reliability I would not be able to recommend it to a friend. Sure it has some good games, Fable 2, Halo 3, Gears of War for example, but are they any better than Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted or Killzone 2? No. Soon there will be God of War 3, I'm discounting Heavy Rain because I hate QTE's with a passion, and the PS3 will be edging its nose out of Microsoft's path.

The only thing that the PS3 is lacking is a decent exclusive driving game, but since Grid is the best driving game I can think of (and it's multi-platform) then the PS3 owners will be plenty satisfied.

My most major gripe with the PS3 is the Playstation Store, which although has some decent games, is sorely lacking in support from dev's. I want to see games like Ikarugi, Castlevania SOTN, Virtual ON (holy carp!), Mutant Storm, Doom, Duke 3D, Outrun etc.... it really is depressing to see these games on a machine I barely play, I would gladly stump over hard cash for these beauties for my PS3. Oh well.