1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Proving Grounds Closes

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Oct 8, 2004.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Long running competition league, and host to many Unreal Tournament/2003/2004 ladders, Proving Grounds has decided to call it quits due to financial pressures.

In the end, we have to admit that the financial issues must force us to close down, and in that respect, this closure will happen relatively quickly. On October 14th, 2004, PG will officially close its doors. We hope to hear from our committed members in the next week as we say our goodbyes, and afterwards as we become "just players", as we were before we began this thing we would come to love. Certainly, we more than expect to hear from the trolls who I have personally more than enjoyed schooling in lessons of humility.

So, please forgive us for this decision, wrap up your matches, and enjoy the last moments of Proving Grounds. We hope that you guys have enjoyed playing with us as much as we have enjoyed serving you.

2. Stigmata

Stigmata Codepunk

wow - this sucks. I just recently signed up there to get involved in my first ladder matches. And I never even got to. What other Ladders are there?

3. BumbleBeeTF

BumbleBeeTF New Member

I hate to see any part of a great community have to close it's doors.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  4. Devastator

Devastator What are YOU looking at?

5. [KBEC]MAJ

[KBEC]MAJ New Member

f00kin' sh*t!!! This is very bad news :(

I played my first ladder matchs on PG.

This sucks...

6. Stigmata

Stigmata Codepunk

any one considered the best?

7. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

That blows. I never played in a ladder there, but I always check them out to see how things were going.

Trying to put a positive spin.......Maybe we'll see Nikita aka Flame back around here again. She was always a blast at FragBU before she got too busy over at PG.

8. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

This just blows my mind. PG has been around since the old days.

9. Stigmata

Stigmata Codepunk

<hijack>Brizz, that teamspeak info in your sig, is that the official FBU TS ip?</hijack>

10. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

yes

and it's in Utah on an extremely low latency line. you won't get booted or get lag from it.

11. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

FFS

PG has the best web set up out of all the competitive ladders. Plus I've been on pg since 2000/01 and I don't want to see it close. :/

12. Torinir

Torinir New Member

Unfortunately, though we've received many generous offers to host PG, there's concerns we have that require us to remain at our present hosting company. Some of you older members may recall the eternal war we've had with the former member known as Slang and the DDoS attacks PG has suffered through over the years.

Those attacks had increased in intensity to the point where few places had the resources to handle such large scale assaults. Our current host has been absolutely great at keeping us up and running, but the costs associated with keeping it up are too much to bear without a financial sponsor.

We, the staff at PG, have nothing but love for the games we play and the communities around them. This is indeed a very sad time for competitive gaming, but my personal hope is that another league will pick up our torch and carry it high.

Thank you to everyone who took interest in Proving Grounds. YOU made PG great.