Protesting mexicans, loose my respect.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nachimir

Crony of Stilgar
Aug 13, 2001
Shelf Adventure.
GMotha said:
No matter how utopian your vision is: it's a fact that multiculturism can't work, cultures will clash.

I take issue with that, it's as simplistic and inaccurate as idealism.

Multiculturalism works (invisibly) online, it works without riots in a lot of cities like London and New York, it will work in most places eventually. Expressed in simple and purely hopeful terms, multiculturalism is certainly unrealistic. However, it is also inevitable, with all it's attendant troubles, and as such is simultaneously an ideal and a problem. It's going to happen, it just ain't gonna look like this.

Current trends are pointing to borders becoming less relevant. Multiculturalism is an inevitable side effect of globalisation - as I said already, it increases in step with transport and comms. It's already the norm in many large cities, and will spread outward into whole countries as infrastructure becomes more sophisticated. Instead of being geographically separate, cultural territories will increasingly overlap and permeate each other. Polarisation will separate them and send them to war with each other, interaction will promote understanding and lead to the creation of new cultures. Either way, nationalism will never solve another problem again.

Any culture is essentially a giant non-state group - if a state failed, the culture of it's inhabitants would live on. Previously, a culture would be largely confined within national borders. Throughout the 20th century, bleeding across them (sociologically rather than individually) was generally the preserve of terrorist groups, freedom fighters, tribes; generally the most disenfranchised and poorest people on the planet (Gypsies, Kurds, etc). Since the net took off, being a member of a non-state group is not about tribe, violence or crime, and is now open to the most privileged among our species - and I don't mean the wealthy, I mean the whole populaces of first world nations. Non-state groups are emerging in relation to every cultural interest there is, they have massive relevance to the lives of participants, but exist in a space where the state is largely irrelevant. Culture can now occur independently of geography.

The net is a general purpose technology, like steam power, but it's only been around on a large scale for a decade or so. We're only just starting to feel the shockwaves and explore it. It is spreading towards being pervasive, and the new ways we've so far discovered of sorting and sharing information have no historical precedent. They're changing the ways many people think - the world is no longer an impenetrable monolith, it's editable. Collaborative work can be done between people in many different locations. Collaborative social filters simply haven't happened before. People from many cultures are already interacting with each other; they just don't know it most of the time. In games, on the web, wikis, forums, P2P networks, blogs, flickr, etc., all of these cultures are already operating on each other in ways that are largely hidden and impossible to predict, and we've barely seen the beginning.

As soon as cultures are physically together, skin colours, accents, and all sorts of superficial bullsh*t separate them again, but not always. That will fall to an increasing idea of humanness borne from the interactions of an increasingly fluid, physically unconfined world populace.

Cat. Bag. Out of.

Right now it's culture, not policy, that is motivating or has motivated ethnic cleansing in parts of Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. It's motivated riots in more ordered countries. These things, however, are not an inevitable consequence of cultural mixing, because cultures integrate in the right circumstances. No matter what induces us to fight, we're a social species; altruism and cooperation are in our genes, and will outlive us and whatever cultural values we form. As such, above and beyond conflict we will also exhibit a tendency to settle into cooperation - not because it's idealisitic or utopian, simply because it's a more stable way to exist, aligned with basic human needs. Previously, that's taken centuries to happen. Technology is going to speed it up, if our loutish brains can just keep step.

Edit: I realise that's sounding somewhat utopian again. Things really could and will spiral down the sh*tter in many more locales. For integration to become pervasive and stable, it will need to be nudged continually by culturally tolerant people. Who do actually exist, and can act collectively to change the nature of any culture itself.

Last edited:
They made a southpark episode about that. Like the future human race went back in time to find jobs because of overpopulation of the one, unified super culture of the future.

Leave it to south park :)

EDIT: Oh, and I also think that was Nach said is inevitable...unless we all kill each other first.

Last edited:

GMotha

The nipples from Napels
Nov 3, 2001
Antwerp
gmotha.deviantart.com
Nachimir said:
Multiculturalism works (invisibly) online, it works without riots in a lot of cities like London and New York, it will work in most places eventually.
Most, but not all.
In order to create a multicultural environment, people of all cultures shouldn't create their own little worlds inside a city (ghetto's etc...).

An example, Antwerp (yes, belgium) is divided in neighbourhoods: you've got a black neighbourhood, one filled with practically only people with an north-african origin, one for jews (the orthodox ones) etc...
This, in my opinion, keeps communities (foreign or native) from getting accustomed to eachother: they just keep bussiness to their "own kind". It just doesn't contribute to multiculturism. Every neighbourhood has it's own language: black africans speak french, northern africans berber or arabian, jews speak hebrew etc... You can walk into a grocery store in one of those neighbourhoods, ask for a few pound of olives and they won't understand you. Because you don't speak their language.

But then agian, I don't blame immigrants to live near people of their own origin. That way it's easier for them to get settled. But to me, multiculturism isn't just different cultures living in the same city. There needs to be interaction, or even better (as an example): put more white people in black neighbourhoods and put more black people in the white neighbourhoods. Force them to interact.

Situations like that are a proof that total multiculturism is just another unreachable utopia.

Last edited:

Nachimir

Crony of Stilgar
Aug 13, 2001
Shelf Adventure.
I agree, the same kind of insularity is what caused the riots over here in Bradford a few years back. Policy based measures like fences, "keep them out" or "affirmative action" all seem to lead to polarisation. This in turn leads to clusterf*cked institutions, communities, cities, and eventually states.

Mixing of cultures is an issue we'll have to face and solve though. It's made more complex by the fact that nation states are increasingly separate from the cultures of the lands they govern. Common language will be vital for a start, and geographical integration too.

Btljuice

Jun 10, 2001
Visit site
Posting 2 things:

1) A Link

2) A quote from a blog (which is where I got the link):
1. This letter was sent to me by my super Christian aunt. Quite out of character for her, but still amusing.

2. Generations of immigrants have managed to come to our country legally, apply for citizenship, learn enough English to NOT irritate the locals too much, PAID THEIR TAXES, and generally contributed positively to the community.

3. Why are most government materials printed in Spanish? Do we also cover the expenses to print everything in Chinese and Canadian? Hell no.

4. Who says Americans won't do these jobs? My relatives have applied for restaurant jobs, housekeeping jobs, landscaping jobs and so on, and can't get them because employers would rather hire illegals! Disposable workers are much cheaper than those you have to pay minimum wage and benefits for.

5. When I worked in the office at my kid's elementary school, there would be new kids almost every day. And I can seriously say that 75% - 80% of those new kids were not born in this country and rarely spoke English. We have to make copies of their birth certificates so I know. AND each and every one would apply and qualify for free lunches. Free education and free food at the cost of how much for illegal children? It shouldn't be that easy! AND the attitudes! The gang affiliations, the entitlement, the in-your-face FU<K YOU attitude of these kids as they get older far outweighs those same attitudes from non-illegal children.

6. Take some of that entitlement attitude and fix your own fu<king country.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
:redflag: :redflag: :shock: The border needs heat allighned aiming machine guns, not even an animal will get accros.

Last edited:

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
I hear Iraq has quite the problem with unwanted foreigners, too.

OH YES, I WENT THERE. LOLO.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Evil_Cope said:
I hear Iraq has quite the problem with unwanted foreigners, too.

OH YES, I WENT THERE. LOLO.

Ya I hear that !!! the last iraqi only chopped out toungs and ears and throw people off of 2 story roofs.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Authorities raided offices and plants of IFCO Systems in at least nine states, the culmination of a yearlong criminal investigation, law enforcement officials said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested seven current and former IFCO Systems managers on charges they conspired to transport, harbor and encourage illegal workers to reside in the United States for commercial advantage and private financial gain, said Glenn T. Suddaby, the chief federal prosecutor in Albany, N.Y., where some arrests were made.

ICE spokeswoman Jamie Zuieback confirmed an unspecified number of raids and arrests, but declined to provide additional details because the investigation was continuing. One official, speaking on condition of anonymity because numbers were still being tallied, said the arrests were in the hundreds.

Raids took place at several locations in upstate New York and in Biglerville, Pa., Charlotte, N.C., Cincinnati, Houston, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Richmond, Va., and Westborough, Mass.

"ICE has no tolerance for corporate officers who harbor illegal aliens for their work force. Today's nationwide enforcement actions show how we will use all our investigative tools to bring these individuals to justice, no matter how large or small their company," said ICE chief Julie Myers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,192395,00.html

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
neilthecellist said:
Why the hell Fox?

Does anyone remember that one news article like 7 weeks ago, published by the Union-Tribune about the local illegal immigrant arrests in a Carlsbad office in San Diego? Maybe it's just big news here..

No never heard of that one, and FOX is just fine, it's peoples misconception of hearing things for the first time against the traditional liberal press is the ONLY reason they popped all the little liberals minds wich gives cause to think foxnews is right wing, or whatever the hell they think.
I watch them all and I am glad fox came about, besides that I only went there it could have benn cnn as well.

But no I never heard anything about what you speak.wonder why.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Maybe it's just local news. The point I'm trying to get across is that here in San Diego, a lot of news is reported on illegal immigrants who are caught working in work places, and then the owners get fined. The illegal immigrants suffer the most, but the managers only get fined some dollars... Sort of relates to this thread, if no one can see it, I'm sorry, I'll just stop.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Here we go again,
Send them all back .

I presume this is a right wing site, but I hear they are gong to show vidios wich you would't see on the mainline news covering all these mexican protests.
http://pajamasmedia.com/

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Did anyone see the big billboard in Tennessee that reads:If you here legally then learn english and pay taxes if your here illegally then go home. I saw this on CNN or FOX News cann't remember which. But I love it.:)

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
"500,000 illegal immigrants to converge on downtown LA on MAy 1st" CNN

Move 'em on, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!
Set 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Twrecks said:
"500,000 illegal immigrants to converge on downtown LA on MAy 1st" CNN

Move 'em on, head 'em up,
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!
Set 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide.

Don't forget there is a big ol loud gunshot or whips in that song too.