1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Protect Your Computer!

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by QAPete, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Five necessities for a fast and safe computer

This is what I, and many of my friends, relatives, etc. would recommend all of you to do:

First: get yourself a good Antivirus program, free or otherwise. YOU NEED IT!!! And if you don't do it for yourself, do it for all the others on the net! Viruses tend to SPREAD, like, well, viruses do.

Second: a firewall is not just luxury. It keeps the bad things out and the good things in, plain and simple as that.

Third: get a GOOD browser, not the hacker-and-virus-friendly Internet Explorer. I recommend Mozilla Firefox. It's good, fast, and has some nice blocking possibilities for spyware, malware and popups. PLUS. If you use Javacools' Spywareblaster you get even more protection against nasty unwanted programs. Can it get any better?

Fourth: Spyware, malware and whatever you get more can cause really serious trouble. And that's written by ME, who spent an entire week, from SUNUP to SUNDOWN, repairing computers on the job that got screwed up by these little b*st*rds. And you know what? I think nobody can have any excuse for not installing a serious cocktail of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE 1.05 and Spybot S&D 1.3. So go and get it NOW! (and make your computer a happier place!)

Fifth: Of course even if you stick to these four points your computer will still have a chance of catching something nasty. It's a big, bad world out there. So keep deleting suspicious e-mails and don't install anything if you don't know what it does or don't need it! This way, you have a much greater chance of STAYING OUT OF TROUBLE.

Now this may seem all a bit overdone to all of you, but these words were typed on a computer that is FAST, SAFE and 100% VIRUS, SPYWARE, MALWARE, ADWARE FREE. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it, too!

- ElCondor333Mhz

2. Destructive-Fly

Destructive-Fly New Member

I have been thinking of getting Knoppix on CD-ROM.
    I'll explain. Knoppix is one of the many linux distributions, but the difference is that you can run Knoppix from the disc itself, no installion needed. This can always come in handy to either:
    - Learn linux
    - Fix any problems with windows

I run Kaspersky, a great solution. It gives a pop-up when someone attacks the computer + it found one virus since the installation and I used to run AVG, so that means Kaspersky found it and AVG didn't. Another great feature of this AV is that it has an update every 2 to 3 hours a day, even when you are in bed sleeping ;)

3. [IMD1]KillRoy

[IMD1]KillRoy Suck my boomstick!

4. I use all the programs listed and GIANT you need to pay for GIANT tho so some of you might not be able to get it.

5. Mison

Mison New Member

I notice nobody is talking about Norton software (Firewall/Antivirus) here in the UK it is the most publicised product in retail stores. Does anybody think it's a bad choice or is there anything better?

Be interested to know!

Cheers

6. Mas

Mas Paul Aka Mas

So by taking all theese steps i should be able to browse the web for pr0n without getting any spyware? :B

But cheers for reminding me anyway, I just uninstalled all the old versions of thoose programs it and reinstalled the new versoins. :tup:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  7. Dekaritae

Dekaritae Guest

I'd recommend also installing Startup Control Panel, BHODemon, and TweakUI XP or 1.33, for general system maintenance. Some programs, RealPlayer and QuickTime notably, will set themselves to run on startup, and SCP will allow you to disable these (or any programs that run on startup). In this way it can be a good indicator of how infected a computer is.

BHODemon simply displays all the installed Browser Helpers, such as Google Toolbar, or that scunner BlazeFind "Search Assistant". Gol, that BlazeFind's toolbar is the only one I've found that neither Ad-Aware nor Spybot are capable of removing, even with the latest definitions.

http://www.mlin.net/
    http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
    http://www.google.com/search?q=tweakui

I currently run Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 on my own systems, but when working on other people's computers I install Sygate's free firewall offering, as it is easier to configure for someone not familiar with firewalls.

8. Birelli

Birelli meh...

I used it for a while and it certainly is a good AV program, but from what I've seen AVG works just as well if not better than Nortons does, and it's free, so...

Also Nortons took about 1 hour to scan my old computer that had about 20GB of HD taken up, AVG could scan the same computer in about half the time. I scan in the middle of the night anyway, but it's another plus.

Edit: Oh, and don't get Nortons non-AV stuff either, their anti-virus is ok but their other utilities take up huge chunks of CPU all the time (my old computer was slow but we're talking 20% of the CPU non-stop) and really aren't as good as the free alternatives.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  9. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

It's amazing that you need so many different types of programs just to keep your PC virus and spyware-free. :hmm:

I keep AVG in the background and run AdAware and Spybot every week or so. Kerio's a decent software firewall, and my Netgear router has a hardware firewall built-in (useful no matter which OS you run).

Good call on Firefox, although really any Gecko-based browser is better than Immediate Explosion. Firefox is great on Windows, and I run Camino on my iBook.

Speaking of Macs, an excellent program is Little Snitch. It's not an actual firewall (the author calls it an "application supervisor"), but it detects when an app wants to access the internet, and asks whether you want to permit or deny it access (forever, until the app closes, or just that one time). Even Mac applications try to access the net on the sly sometimes. :)

10. Hazmat

Hazmat Guest

Heavy weight

Pest Patrol
    Ad-Ware SE,
    Spybot- Search & Destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    ZoneAlarm (free edition)
    Norton AV
    Norton Internet Security.

They have all kept my system free and clear so far.

11. Lightfoot

Lightfoot New Member

Hey I would just switch your operating system I mean we all know that Microsoft Windows IE blows. Or at least set up a dual boot system to use windows & Linux. Use Linux to do all your Internet Browsing network related tasks. The only thing that I personally would find a use for windows is for UnrealED. Once you figure out hardware configuration(If Linux supports all your hardware) and become adapt to using a console in cobination with a GUI you might just wan't to free up some space and delete your windows partition :). Anyways here is my mal ware spybot virus free setup.
    Debian SID Linux
    Kernel version 2.6.8-1-686
    Firefox linux 1.0
    iptables
    GUI Gnome 2.8.1
    + Other features that make this O.S. Remeber Windows was orignally built for non network enviroments and gradually added networking support. Unix was built from the ground up as a networking O.S.

Hey Q.A. Pete you should have put a linux link in your webpage post.

https://home.comcast.net/~brianlightfoot/

12. Rooster

Rooster Local Legend

The key is user friendly. People want to game, not figure out HOW to run the OS.

Not saying it's not a good OS, just not for the average user: yet.

I generally warn our clients away from Norton anything. It's buggy and doesn't catch a lot of things.

13. QuickBeam

QuickBeam 612 Wharf Ave...

Personally ive used all the 'free programs'(Ad-Aware,S&D,etc.)and found they suck,IMO.
    Getting shown what u have on ur system and how it affects performance is bs, u want those thiings gone,removed,forever.(note:talking about sypware,adware,trojans,etc.NOT cookies,FYI).Those cookie crumbs will ALWAYS BE THERE!...but they are very benign.
    I speak from experience,and im not KNOCKING those free programs but since i bought a
    'retail' spyware program , the reocurring deleting of the same stupid adware or worse EVERYDAY is gone...cause the they are properly quarentined,removed,deleted,or just plain PURGED never to return, usless u foolishly open some sinister junk mail or go to a site u know u shouldnt...lol.
    BTW FIREFOX is a great switch....recommend also, oh and the 'retail' program i bought is called Spyware X-terminater(catches everything and things i didnt even know i had...lol)
    Anyhoo...hope u all keep those comps clean...no matter what route u choose!

ENDLINE_________________________________________________________________

14. zukeft

zukeft New Member

Good call; that's definitely the best version. =]

15. Lightfoot

Lightfoot New Member

Hey who said Linux was not user friendly :)

16. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Microsoft

17. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

but Linux isn't userfriendly for MS-addicts :p

btw : why hasn't anybody mentioned ZoneAlarm yet ?
    AFAIK it's also one of the best 'free' firewalls available.

18. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves Intergalactic Anomaly

ZA 5 caused me freezing problems with UT2004.

All I use is internet explorer, windows, kerio and proxomitron. No firefox and no anti-virus. And yet all adware ever shows is tracking cookies.

Attached Files:

• scan.JPG
      scan.JPG
      File size:
      265.6 KB
      Views:
  19. $p@wN^[CH]

$p@wN^[CH] Guest

get hitmanpro

hey all,

i want to share you my amazing discovery for anti spy-crap.
    its a dutch programm called hitmappro its an programm that packs adaware spybot s&d cw credder ect ect ect and ya dont have to click ur mouse while runnin it! filesize is 17mb just install it and let it run!

goto www.hitmanpro.nl for the dl

20. WileyPeyote

WileyPeyote Dazed in UT

Currently I run Mozilla suite, Adaware, Spybot S & D, and AVG. My question...Is there any difference between the Mozilla suite and just downloading Firefox and Thunderbird seperately?