1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PROs advice. Sensitivity. Aim.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by osmiumbin, May 30, 2009.

1. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

Hi, i need some experts advice, people playing for years UT2004 especially. I have a G9 laser mouse and i am using the following settings for better accuracy with lg and shock.
    -3200 DPI (max)
    -low software sensitivity
    -no acceleration
    -0.50 ingame speed
    -Report rate: 1000
    This config allows me to aim better with lg and still be able to make a quick 180 degrees turn to cover my back, also having a very smooth movement. Now for this config i move my mouse 7.5 cm for a 360 degree turn.
    Many people use lower DPI like 800 and low sensitivity but i tried that and its not good because i loose accuracy at distance.
    I need some advices about how to set out the config in order to aim very well and to get use to it in time.
    How much do you move your mouse for a 360 turn? This way i can make myself an ideea about your sensitivity. Some players (with very good aim) said that they move 30 cm with is very very low. I cant even move with such sensitivity.
    Thx.

2. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

Ok, i was wrong about PROs advices. Anyone is welcome to give any advice about config.
    Btw, what config/settings are you using and most of all, how much you move youre mouse for a 360 turn?
    Thx.

3. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

come on guys, how much you move your mouse for a 360 turn?

4. Nereid

Nereid ・ ω ・

35cm/360 on a Razer DeathAdder

Just use whatever is comfortable. (As long as accel is off.)

5. BobTheBeheader

BobTheBeheader New Member

I'm not pr0, but I have my MX518 set to about 20-ish.

According to the all-knowing sage SlayerDragon, mimicking a good players settings won't make you good.

6. Zer0

Zer0 .

21cm/360 on a DeathAdder.

The all-knowing sage SlayerDragon is right. Try to control the map and outsmart your enemies instead of changing your mouse settings all the time. If you change them around a lot it will be harder to aim than if you had just stuck to one setting, even if it's not the best possible setting.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  7. BobTheBeheader

BobTheBeheader New Member

Everyone likes their mouse sens a little different. It all depends on what feels best for you.

8. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

Check out this mouse optimisation guide. It's for Counter-Strike: Source, but there's a lot of game-agnostic info as well, and it gets technical. :)

9. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

Thanks for the advices, i see that alot of people use low sensitivity witch is good for aiming. I am trying to get use to a sensitivity according to 15 cm for 360. Its more sensible than you guys use but very low for me(switching from 7 cm to 15).... Now about the DPI, how much DPI do you use for unreal? I tried all levels but the smoothest and the best for me is still the maximum (3200). I still dont understand why many recommend 800 or a lower one?

10. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

800 is all someone ever needs to have perfect aim. Anything more is overkill and just marketing fluff to sell something you don't need. If you have the available hardware, you should use it to its max if that's what you prefer.

In games like UT you're not going to have the time to align your shots to a pixel perfect spot and if you are, you're playing the game wrong and will end up fragged 99.9% of the time.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  11. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

Hey, very nice answer JohnDoe641. It was just what i was lookin for. See u.;)

12. DarQraven

DarQraven New Member

Slight agreement/disagreement there..

I agree that you don't need 3200dpi to have perfect aim.
    However, I can usually feel the difference between 800DPI and higher settings (1800 for me) when they're set at the same cm/360. I haven't done a double blind test and I'm not planning to, I'm just stating my experience in configuring my new mouse drivers.

It's a question of smoothness really, just like the whole LCD vs CRT thing. Yeah, the eye only sees about 24fps, but the additional 100hz a good CRT offers do add to the smoothness of the viewing experience.
    Same thing with a good mousepad. My mouse tracks just as well on most desk surfaces as it does on my Titan pad, but the pad is just that much more comfortable for me in terms of friction, softness and texture that it makes me play better in ways that have nothing to do with the performance of the mouse.

Keyword: comfort.

If you honestly feel that your mouse feels better at 3200dpi, you're going to play better at 3200dpi, even when it's technically possible to have perfect aim at 800. You're just not going to be feeling like the mouse is holding you back at certain moments, or having those slightly annoying moments where the mouse skips 1 pixel even though you didn't actually feel like you moved the mouse.
    Those tiny little insignificant distractions will not make your crosshair go off target, yet they will influence how comfortable you are with your current config/setup.
    If that's worth the extra money to you, why the hell not?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  13. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

Here's how i measure mine. I put my mouse with the left side at the very beginning of my mouse pad. Then move my mouse until 360 and then measure the distance between the left start of my mouse pad to the left side of my mouse.
    Btw, i switched to 20 cm for 360 and its much better :D 3cm is wayyy to small. You loose accuracy in time.Try switching to lower and lower value for sensitivity in game. The other settings you have are good ;)

14. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

Reduce sensitivity. Rise your DPI to the maximum.

15. osmiumbin

osmiumbin New Member

Mouse driver or ingame is basicaly the same thing. The slider value (ingame or m. driver) is the ammount that the mouse driver sends it to your game and the game multiplys it by the ammount of movement determined by the current DPI. Nothing different.

16. SinShiva

SinShiva Adrian

some quick input; i try to match the horizontal movement of the mouse to feel like it's on a 1:1 ratio with how much the viewport turns. this usually results in a wrist flick going between 90 and 180 degrees at best, but definitely never more than 180. this method has been rock solid for me, especially in faster gametypes. (i also leave my mouse on max dpi, no acceleration of any kind or smoothing, etc.)

17. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Best thing to do that I can recommend for you -- have a SECOND fire button located somewhere near your movement keys (for me it's Numpad 0 because I use the Arrows -- I'm a lefty)

If you need to make a precise shot, left-mouse-clicking could move the mouse just enough to make it a miss... slipping your pinky over to press a different fire button will NOT move the mouse.

Also -- try weapon model off so you don't get that little parallax with the bullets.