1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prone Movement

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by unixman, Aug 2, 2001.

1. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

Okay, the model while prone clearly shows the gun in one hand while moving. Now why can you keep the weapon up in the aiming position while moving prone? I think it's rather hard to move while both hands are holding the weapon up to your eye. I guess you can use your elbows to move, but you still can't possibly hold the sights steady.

I suggest automatically causing the weapon to go off aimed mode when movement starts, and then automatically returning to aiming when movement stops.

I don't know if this has been suggested before. It's just one of those things that bug me like the ability to aim straight up and down while prone and the rather silly side effect it causes on the player model when viewed from third person. I.E. body levitating off the ground.

2. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

*wink*

3. St0rmcaller

St0rmcaller [AFA]'s unoffical godfather

Good point.

4. Anrky

Anrky Frag you... Frag you very much...

THe speed to move when prone is good, it's about right on... but the speed of looking around is way to fast, when yer prone you don't have that level of mobility, the range of mobilty should be limited to real worl phisics and the speed that you can look around adjusted accordingly.

5. <P^R>Imperial

<P^R>Imperial Bleh

*bump* I agree 100%

6. c+k|nEVeRmOre

c+k|nEVeRmOre ~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~

I agree on the circular movement. One should not be allowed to move in circles while prone, since that is basically impossible (at least at the speed suggested by the game) to turn your whole body that fast with your weapon in the ready within that amount of space.

How about more of a torso twist for aiming while prone. I think being restricted to about 60deg of movement while in aim mode would fix that. If you need to move around any more than that you should have to come out of aim and it should take way longer than it does to make a full circle of movement :)

7. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

Stop winking at me Fur! :D

8. the vrrc

the vrrc noexistant user

Prone is very messed up. I agree. Add in a crawling animation, and limit the turning speed (which has been said is impossible, I beleive) and area you can look at.

9. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

actually i think yurch mentioned something about sensitivity being much lower when prone, a little higher when crouched, and normal when standing (this also relates to the scopes)... when you're prone it's a lot easier to steady your weapon, hence the lower sensitivity, and this would work well with the scopes when zoomed out... when standing, it's harder to keep a steady weapon, compared to prone or crouching/sitting, and this would also translate nicely to the scopes and the notorious "grid" effect... something like that... this isn't too well worded, but i'm just recalling stuff that's been said in other posts... :p

10. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

I mention that I wanted that, not that thats the way it is now. :D
    Now that I think about it, we *could* limit the speed of turning...
    But it wouldnt be very "nice" to some control styles...
    (yurch talking to himself)
    I think it can be done. just limit the mousescale in-game.
    err no, then what about the joystick users?

Ill look at it. Im no coding genious tho.
    If we did manage to cap the prone-turn rate, we could add restrictions on *all* turn rates, possibly affected by player speed & bulk.

11. DENSRAW

DENSRAW Grammaton Cleric

Dammit Yurch! Stop thinking to yourself!.Share your thoughts with everybody! ;)

12. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

And a first-person crawling animation is planned.