Promoting Jailbreak

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Just had a chat with Rev. Along with a few others I have been trying to come up with ways of promoting this mod.
We've had various ideas through the last year or so, such as the Frag Movie, and Mappacks. Obviously JB2004c would be nice,
/metaphorically kicks the Coders up the rump.

Some ideas I have been mulling over with Rev and Jrubzjeknf (aka Nova^) are either a Mapping competetion or a teambased mapping contest (not quite sure what to call it).

Only rough ideas so far, please do comment.
The basic ideas is: "you have 2 weeks, build a map." Keep it nice an simple and a small filesize where possible, we need more enjoyable maps that are designed for small amounts of players but without being spammy. Try and keep new content such as static meshes and textures low. Also we want the maps n00b freindly, nice and easy to find your way around, we don't need to overly simple (think JB-Cyanide courtesy of me), but on the other hand we don't want everyone who hasnt studied the map in UED to get lost (JB-Galactica courtesy of Rev - he tells me its actually very simple, yet it still confuses the hell out of me, checked the editor, and yes he is right, its simple really)
Further that that we havent come up with more details, ideas will be welcomed.

The other Idea we have discussed is a map where all the JB mappers can do a bit for themselves.
Basicly we could all map out a basic layout, argue and agree over whats good and bad and come up with a final design.
Once we have that each mapper will be assaigned a part of the map to design themself. One room each for example. Every couple of days we can take what we got, one of us mappers can copy paste it all together and we can do a beta on it.
With all the mappers working together, each with there own style it should be a good fun, and a good bit of team bonding I guess.

With any luck the interest this might develop might even get Mych to come and finish coding JB2004c along with a couple of addons from some other coders and get this small community the following it deserves.

Feedback!!!!!

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
This definitely has my interest. I've been looking for something new to get the old braincells churning again.

I'm in!

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
count me in for the mapping contest :)

A frag video would be a good way to promote JB. Then instead of the regular fragging we can also add nice releases (or nice last second saves), and some executions.

The community mapping competition is a good one as well. Just make a few teams with 3-4 persons each, and give each team a layout and then they can make something from that layout. The best way of dividing teams is by adding less-experienced UED users to more experienced UED users.

Then in addition a normal mapping competition to add more maps to the pack, and then there is the JailBreak Map Pack :D

Ways of promoting this competition is ofcourse making it into the BU news section and nali city, but if we can promote this competition on Unreal Playground and even the Atari Forums then there will be lots more chance that there will be more mappers. If we are going to promote the mapping competition, then start the competition like 2 weeks later. Because there might be a few that don't know anything about JB so they can play it a bit and come up with ideas.

:D

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Ikkuh said:
A frag video .....and some executions.

^^ why didn't we think of that before. Frag movies are old, but Death Sequence movies hasnt been done before afaik.
and it requires less user input to do.

As for the community mapping, the way you have taken it is different to intended, it was meant to be everyon all on one map, but your idea would be good too.

Keep the feedback coming

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
The_Head said:
^

As for the community mapping, the way you have taken it is different to intended, it was meant to be everyon all on one map, but your idea would be good too.

why not do both? :D Nah that will be too much :eek:
If everyone goes on the same map we only get one map. With more teams = more maps but still the main idea of the community made map.

On the BU main forums they tried to make the worse map in existence together :lol:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=167133

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Yeh I was gonna take part in that, but just couldnt be bothered in the end. Didn't have time.

Theres no reason why we couldnt do the team mapping numerous times. If people enjoy doing it they wil want to do it again.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
- Frag & Execution video: Great idea!
- Mapping competition: I like the idea, but I think it should be oriented to bring more people to JB mapping. Not sure if we should be in the competition, we'd be better as judges IMO. The contest could bring some good maps by talented mappers, but it might end up with a few substracted cubes submited... :lol:
- Collaborative effort: Great idea, it's +/- what I wanted to do with JB-TheDecks, but starting a whole new map would be better. :D Making a room each one of us would be terrible (can't imagine all our styles pasted together... :eek:), but let's say someone posts a beta and another one continues it and releases another version... etc :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
OK I am just brainstorming now, so there might be something stupid in my ideas :)

About the JB promotion vid:

I had a look at the JB III trailer, and it makes me wanna play UT again :lol:
So that sort of effect is what we should have.

Now in order to get some good shots, we must organise a JB match in which everybody demorecs. After that we discuss what should be in/out and what is cool etc. and then the demos go to someone who knows how to edit them.

It needs some kind of intro and ending just like the JB III trailer. How about we do an empty jail in the intro and the funniest execution on the ending with everyone in the jail (and I mean EVERYONE :lol: )

We could also divide the promotion vid in two. In the first half we do some kind of script/movie, and in the 2nd half it's just fragging

Things that can go into the frag part apart from fragging:
ArenaMatches (part of it)
Jailfights (what would you do if you saw 12 players humping eachother for the first time? :lol: )
cool escapes (e.g. jumping from the tower on the switch in Heights)
cool last second saves (e.g. roxxing someone jumping from the tower in Heights)
Executions
Llamas!
Random funny stuff
and anything other can come up with

For the script/movie part we need to come up with something. It should be funny but it also should have something to do with JB. This needs a lot of work though.

This is just an idea:
How about a CTF team finds themselves locked in a JB level, and they have no clue how to get out (wtf I cant disconnect). Another team tells them that they need to win this match in order to get send back to earth (the CTF team doesnt know this is JB). Those CTF players have no clue about what they should do, so they just frag a bit and trying out stuff (wtf no xloc?). One of them gets locked away (wtf this spawnpoint is bugged). 2 of the CTF-ers start discussing what the hell they have been put in. While they are discussing a group of the enemy start getting closer, and they have to fight but they get fragged. After that there is 1 CTF-er left, and he gets a warning on his HUD that he is the last player left. He is like wtf is this, what should I do, but he gets fragged as well.
Then there is an execution, and they are like ouch wtf. They start getting to know the map and they find the release switch. There should also be an arenamatch (wtf arenamatch what is that, wtf grey star where the hell is that). They also find out shieldgunfights (lolol sg pwned), an escape route (hey! look over here), and anything other. Then they start to learn how to play JB and they win the match, then they get sent back to earth.

This movie should show all the stuff that is in JB, and should also show what new players should do and what can be done. It is also entertaining, and it should make ppl want to play JB after seeing it.

This was just some brainstorming :)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Some interesting ideas here.

G.Lector said:
- Collaborative effort: Great idea, it's +/- what I wanted to do with JB-TheDecks, but starting a whole new map would be better. Making a room each one of us would be terrible (can't imagine all our styles pasted together... ), but let's say someone posts a beta and another one continues it and releases another version... etc
Yeh anything involving teamwork will be great. I think we all know what a pain in the arse beta testing can be at times when someone says fix this fix that, would be a lot easier if they could just do it, with your idea this can be done easily.

Things that can go into the frag part apart from fragging:
see this thread right here, look around post ten and onwards, I'm not sure if anyone in this thread except me and Rev were around back then. But getting a load of us all in towers blocking the exit on a map would be great, it could also fit in with your story idea Ikkuh

Where can I find this JBIII trailer, I couldn't see it anywhere obvious on the home page.

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
Found it on the website of UnrealGrrl http://www.unrealgrrl.com/unrealgrrl_homepage.html

:lol: at the blocking part :D

I have a basic idea of a level now. 2 teams, 1 jail and 1 release switch = dominating fun. The team that gets to the switch first sits there good, but if they get fragged a lot they have to release themselves and the enemy team, making it start all over again. This would work if the release is in the middle, the players spawn halfway from the release and in the edge of the map there are more powerful weapons. Just an idea :)

About the mapping contest, you can give every map except of yours a mark and the highest/lowest mark doesn't count. Then the average is taken and the map with the highest average wins :)

Now lets put our thoughts into physical forms :D

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
I'm liking the "CTF players locked in a JB map" idea. With some polishing (not too much talking, CTF players do have to put up a fight, introduce llama when they're getting it) it can be great imo, but you might make it look like this is a gametype for CTF players only.

Map idea: JB-OMGWTFBBQ ie on a barbeque. /me runs and hides

Mapping idea: TeamSpecificLlamaVolume: if a player on a certain team enters the volume, he's turned into a llama. Why this idea? WE NEED MORE LLAMAS! :D:D:D

/sign up for teh coding. Need something to work with though

@tarquin: it shouldn't be so freakin' difficult, right?

Last edited:

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
well the CTF thrown into JB is just an example. It can also be ONS or whatever, but the point is that players that never played JB before need to see what it actually is. And the best way of accomplishing that is by making a movie of those players playing JB (ofcourse acted).

lolol bbq :lol: could be a minime map in the garden or something ;)
Teamspecific llama volume sounds like a good idea to do a llama parade in the movie :lol: Is it hard to code something like that? I might pick up coding to make that :)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
On using players from various gametypes.

Could use this for comic effect:

JB|The_Head: "come on you n00bs!!!!"

ONS|Chris: "I can't find a vehicle"
AS|Sally: "I want my AS-HellbenderRaceBeta8-ultraEdition-pro2"
CTF|Bob: "Zomg wheres my trans"
DM|Ted: "Where we going? I wanna shock camp here!"

etc....

I agree with Ikkuh on the voting system.

@TK v3, don't worry about it, its the effort that counts, it doesnt matter if your map isn't a full blown one.
I think the winner should be the best palying map, NOT the prettiest. That should take away some of the advantage us experienced mappers have.

Packaging them requires a quick bit of research, shouldn't be a cause for not doing this.

How about a BeyondUnreal frontpage callout for coders? tarq, any strings you can pull for this?

Jrubzjeknf, thats a good way to intro the LLama, perhaps it could be explained by the JB-God. (ie someone using a voice changer to a thunderus godlike voice) and could also explain how to release and stuff.
Glad to see you have a map idea before we even start the competition ;)

LLama volumes could be interesting, Jrubzjeknf suggested use of them for blocking the releases for shared jails to me on msn, I didn't like that particular idea, buts its got lots of potential, and will fit in well with JB.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
@Ikkuh: nah, just a few adjustments in my TeamSpecificPhysicsVolume would do the trick.

@head: no coders from the outside, we want people dedicated to JB (and if that fails, we can always recruit people from somewhere else)

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
It could just be added as another style of deathstyle along with burning, gibbing etc....
Get this directly in JB2004c, along with the freeze execution style that Zed made (iirc)
I'm sure people can come up with a few more damage types too.

@Jrubzjeknf, ok fair point, that can be a last resort.

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
How about we continue this chatter on the JB IRC channel? :) We can post a summary later here

@ the Head
lol at your approach of grabbing players :lol: