1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 Problems with Terrain in Viewports

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Tomcat171, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Tomcat171

Tomcat171 New Member

Hi there,

I've run into an extremely frustrating and confusing problem regarding terrain in the Unreal Editor. What I want to do is so simple, and yet my system refuses to let it slide.

Basically, I wanted to place a terrain in my map, and I do so through the generic browser.

The Problem:

When I place the terrain mesh into the world, neither the default material, nor the wireframe for the patches, are viewable in the perspective viewport. However, in the other orthographic viewports, the wireframe is visible.

I truly have no idea why it is doing this.

I have tried so many different things to make it work, but nothing is doing the job. Even when the viewport is in wireframe mode, the terrain still won't appear. If everything is unlit, the terrain still doesn't show. If I jump in via 'Play From Here', again, nothing.

Pressing the hiding toggles (W, H, G etc.) does nothing as well.

I've tried to paint the mesh even while I can't see it, but the only thing that clicking does is move the camera about again.

I'm at my wits end and I really don't know what I'm supposed to do about this.

I don't know if it'll help, but I'll tell you all that the Unreal Editor I use came with a Steam download of UT3. It has all recent updates and patches, Titan pack etc etc.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Odedge

Odedge Keeper of Tutorials

If you can see it in once view port, the terrain should be fine. Having the steam version, shouldn't matter (especially since it's patched).

Keep in mind that you can have the map show in perspective/orthographic view and wireframe/lint/unit at the same time.

Also, you can toggle certain actors independently for each viewport. So one frame could show the terrain and another one won't. "T" key toggles terrain.

Also, there is a "upside down triangle" for each view port. Selecting it and then "Default Show Flags" is another good way to clear any keys you may have accidentally pressed to toggle certain actors.