1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Problems with server switching maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeathAdder, May 23, 2005.

1. DeathAdder

DeathAdder a.k.a. LightBringer

I run the invasion gametype. Sometimes when a player leaves, server is empty, and another player joins a few seconds later, the server doesn't allow the person to join, vote, or do anything. The server just hangs there idling doing nothing. Today it was like it for 8 hours. I had some pretty upset players. Do you know what I probably don't have set or configured right in ut2vote?

2. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

hmm, can a players join as spectators, login as admin and vote?

if so, can a player do the same as player (not spectator) ?

i had this behaviour with ut2003, but saw it in ut2004 only once or twice within a whole year.

3. DeathAdder

normally the random switch, or just the switch to default game works, if only one player in server with invasion gametype on, and that player goes to spectator mode. But, sometimes, the invasion gametype doesn't always do this successfully. i think when somebody disconnects abnormally, the server hangs, but there's no errors or anything to prove it.

4. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

when you say invasion, you think of FHI v4 ?

is there anything special on your server? do you offer a redirect-service for fhi?

i never had this in fhi, but in ons some times. To me it seemd to be a hardware-dependent issue, because i only had it on one machine...

did you try it with a new clean ut2004.ini?

5. DeathAdder

it hangs in regular invasion and fhi v4 invasion. i joined right now, and says I'm out. it won't let me vote, it won't switch to next map.

I could have the settings/options wrong for ut2vote. I really need help fixing this because nobody joins my servers anymore since I installed ut2vote, because they can't seem to get the server to goto the next map.

6. DeathAdder

while joined to the server and waiting for map to rotate because since this is invasion it shows that I am out because you can't join while in a wave alive, waited and decided to just use web admin to restart map.

a message was broadcasted that it is switching to default map, and then, nothing happens, still stays hung on the actual default map, now i just noticed after about 2 minutes, it finally switched.

plz help.

7. DeathAdder

I hope somebody could plz find time to help me. This is happening quite a bit. I'm in my public server now, and been there for more than 5 minutes, and it won't switch maps or anything. This is invasion again, and invasion works that if you join during end of a wave, you are automatically OUT. in this case, in kind of joined me as a spectator which is really wierd. I'm sure I just have settings mixed up and not right, but could really use some help to figure out what is wrong.

8. DeathAdder

What do these lines do?

LevelEndTime=29766173
    Nounce=1

I couldn't find what these mean anywhere in your help files.

9. monolith

monolith New Member

i dont know what it means but this is what mine says

LevelEndTime=31232418
    Nounce=0

dont know if it will help
    but .....

And heres a thought what if u put vote when dead to true at least untill u get it worked out

MONOLITH

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  10. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

LevelEndTime is used internally by UT2Vote.
    It is written when your server changes levels and records the current time in seconds. There is also a WaitForLevel=90 which calculates from the above figure when your server restarts on the next level and if it exceeds this value, then UT2Vote assumes your server has a problem and restarts it.
    If you remember several patches ago the server used to take a long time to switch levels, this was to counteract that problem.
    If you are running Patch 3339 then its quite safe to set WaitForLevel=60 which is the UT2004 default provided your have a server with at least a 2 gig CPU and 512 megs of memory or more and cache= at least 128 or 25% of total memory, whichever is the greater.
    If you dont understand this then just leave it as is :)
    Nounce
    This rotates and keeps track of which Announcer is next on the vote countdown.