1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Problems with online play (demo)

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by Fire20000, May 7, 2004.

1. Fire20000

Fire20000 New Member

I always get a big amount of packet loss, my ping is ok, but the packet loss is unbearable, is there anyway I can fix this?

2. Fire20000

Fire20000 New Member

3. Lise

Lise Being a girl makes you kick more arse.

You're positive it's not a problem on your end?

What kind of connection are you using?

4. Fire20000

Fire20000 New Member

I'm using DSL on a wireless network...could that be a problem?

5. I_B_Bangin

I_B_Bangin habitual line stepper

That could be a problem, if your wireless connect is not strong enough. Is there any way you can run a wire from the router to the pc (even if it is up a flight of stairs and is sitting in the middle of the floor) to troubleshoot that as the problem? Try and play with the wired setup and see if you get the same PL. If it is not your wireless setup, you might want to go to DSLreports.com and run their line test. I had a similar problem and was able to identify a bad router on the comcast network and called them with the problem. It was fixed within a day.

6. Niaad

Niaad hello internet

You should run a traceroute to the server you're getting lots of packet loss to (or any server, if you can't remember). Sometimes your connection will be using nodes that are just suffering from lots of packet loss; there's not a whole lot you can do about it, but it just lets you know that it's not you and instead your ISP. I've had packet loss problems in the past, and they are usually resolved in a day or so.

Anyway, I use VisualRoute, but there are plenty of other programs out there just like it.

7. Lise

Lise Being a girl makes you kick more arse.

Wireless can result in semi-high packet loss, if it's a low-quality router. Wired is always best, if you can pull it off.

8. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

If you have many 2.4GHz wireless devices (among them are cordless phones, wireless speakers, wireless audio/video senders, wireless cameras, and even microwaves!), you are bound to experience poor signal or packet loss every once in a while. To improve the situation, you will need to mess with the channel settings on each device to find the best combination of settings the allows each one to coexist as much as possible. Start with the device that has the least number of settings and work your way up to the device with the most settings.

I have 4 such devices, and it took me a while to get all 4 of them to coexist, and I still have problems every once in a while...