President Obama does it again!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the devil is always in the details....

if it was such a short trip, why didn't you and a couple guys just walk it?
seems like a waste of gas let alone the unnecessary risk :p

me personally I just never got into the habit of thinking it's ok to drive anywhere after drinking.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
why?
isn't that kind of the foundation of this entire country?

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"
Of course it is, but 1700s America was a different place than it is now. I still think people should be able to come here easily. I said that before. But they should come here according to whatever laws we have right now, and we have laws about it right now. So I don't agree with sending the message that coming here illegally is okay.
driving the country toward the cliff for short term political gain. that's their public strategy.
if this is not the definition of treason I don't know what is.
You should have warned me you were going to post blind rhetoric before I wasted my time reading it. This isn't the GOPs problem, this is the inability of all of our politicians to get in a room and compromise. It has been a growing problem for 30 years. It's not like Obama has been trying to compromise and nobody will, his complaints lately sound exactly like what they are: "they won't agree with me so they are to blame". Bleh.

And don't bother responding to that if it's going to be typical one-sided rhetorical blathering.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
@Balton:
I think these 800,000 that President Obama just gave legal status to should go to Berlin and they should take every single relative who isn’t legally here with them. Then and only then your eyes will be opened Balton. While I have to respect that you have an opinion, I don’t have to respect your opinion and certainly not when you don’t walk in my shoes or in any taxpaying US citizen’s shoes.

@Lizard Of Oz:
Using executive orders doesn’t mean the President circumvented the constitution. Creating executive orders to bypass the Congress because you can’t get your proposal through Congress is circumventing the constitution.
Here are several examples that you requested. After reviewing these please provide a list to me of which of the 291 orders you say George Bush made that override a decision that our elected Congress voted against. President Obama uses these orders to get what he can’t get past Congress. President Bush did not. At least not after Congress said no first.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2012/06...congress-to-allow-amnesty-for-young-illegals/
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/04/nation/la-na-obama-cordray-20120105
http://www.newsmax.com/GeorgeWill/Obama-Czars-Recess-Appointments/2012/01/31/id/426087
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/capitol/obama_said_FUPLREKARLkkyz80UV3LYK
http://finance.townhall.com/columni...a_cant_wait_to_bypass_constitution/page/full/
http://blackquillandink.com/?p=9337
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1371122874001/meese-obama-trying-to-circumvent-constitution

@cryptophreak:
I don't think what you said is true. I think if you had a car it would still have a Obama for President sticker on it. I think you love Austin too.

Thanks for the boobs whoever did that. Great timing! More soon?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The "message" it sends is "keep coming over because chances are you'll be taken care of" and I don't really agree with propagating that message. That being said, though, I don't see a better 0-day solution. Everything else going on will take years to get through Congress and years after that to implement because apparently figuring crap out and getting crap done are antithetical to the federal government's mission right now for some reason. A bad situation all around. That's not to say that there aren't other problems associated with this, but I just don't feel they are very important to even discuss at this point. It happened.

I understand this point, I just disagree with its relevance. The lack of any sort of amnesty for these children up until this point hasn't prevented people from coming over at all, and I don't really see a massive influx of people coming over BECAUSE of it. The parents, in such a situation, are still completely sol if caught, and if the kids aren't of age, they'll just get sent back too. In other words, there isn't enough of an incentive for them to illegally immigrate because of this, so it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. It seems like an ideological objection without a practical correlation.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Especially assuming "immigrants" means "Mexicans" in context, I too don't see hordes of illegal immigration happening because of the executive order. Studies have shown that Mexican influx into the United States plateaued and even is decreasing. The study also saw a pattern of them leaving the US to go back to Mexico. Probably because the United States is becoming less of a viable target, or Mexico's economy is strengthening.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov

I checked out your links and this is what I found:

1. This is the current issue we're discussing. Obama's executive order that the government will no longer deport some young undocumented immigrants. (I'll give you this one.)
2. congressional recess appointments (necessary, because the Republicans are doing everything in their power to block ALL appointments regardless of merit.)
3. congressional recess appointments
4. congressional recess appointments
5. Right-wing opinion piece.
6. Right-wing opinion piece.
7. Right-wing opinion piece.

Now let's take a look at a small sample of the first four years of Dubya's "Constitution circumventing" executive orders...

• Establishment of Executive Department Centers for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.
  • Notification of Employee Rights Concerning Payment of Union Dues or Fees
  • President's Commission To Strengthen Social Security
  • Community-Based Alternatives for Individuals With Disabilities
  • Establishing the President's Homeland Security Advisory Council and Senior Advisory Committees for Homeland Security
  • Expedited Naturalization of Aliens and Noncitizen Nationals Serving in an Active-Duty Status During the War on Terrorism
  • Equal Protection of the Laws for Faith-Based and Community Organizations
  • Responsibilities of the Department of Agriculture and the Agency for International Development With Respect to Faith-Based and Community Initiatives
  • Confiscating and Vesting Certain Iraqi Property
  • Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction
  • Establishing National Counterterrorism Center
  • Designation of Additional Officers for the Department of Homeland Security Order of Succession

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I understand this point, I just disagree with its relevance. The lack of any sort of amnesty for these children up until this point hasn't prevented people from coming over at all, and I don't really see a massive influx of people coming over BECAUSE of it. The parents, in such a situation, are still completely sol if caught, and if the kids aren't of age, they'll just get sent back too. In other words, there isn't enough of an incentive for them to illegally immigrate because of this, so it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. It seems like an ideological objection without a practical correlation.
Sure, I think that is a completely valid point. I don't think this is an invitation to come for sure, I just think it's sending the message that "we will be accommodating if you decide to come". So, perhaps it doesn't have any practical relevance but I am concerned about sending that kind of message.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
WHAT?!?

Brizz, please return to Earth.
To be fair, I don't think he's really interested in compromising except as a political maneuver. Oh, well :p Look, I'm not saying that Obama/Dems are not compromising and Republicans are. That's not true at all. Both parties have been woefully underwhelming as far as real compromise goes.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Come on Zxan.

Both parties' version of compromise is that the only person changing their mind must be the other person.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
So because congress is deadlocked it's ok to circumvent the constitution? The ends justify the means?

The assertion that he had no choice is demonstrably false. They had two years where Democrats were in charge of everything. The Democrats refused to even convene the committee in charge of immigration. Furthermore we have a prominent, well liked, conservative senator willing to deal. Now we'll never know how successful he could have been. The fact is Democrats weren't even willing to try when promising opportunities were presented.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
This isn't the GOPs problem.
it's their policy.
you can call that bind rhetoric until you're red in the face but it does little to excuse reality.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/03/01/record_use_of_the_filibuster.html

For months, Senate Democrats have made the point that Republicans are using the filibuster in an unprecedented way to block President Obama's agenda. A useful chart of Senate cloture motions through the years seems to back up this assertion.

David Waldman notes that there have been about "the same number of cloture motions between January 2009 and today as between World War I and the moon landing. It once took 50 years to get the same number of cloture votes as we've had in just over one year with this Republican minority."

John Aravosis: "What the data clearly shows it that the GOP is filibustering at twice the rate of what the Democrats did before, including what they did under Bush. So Republicans can't claim that Democrats did it too -- they didn't. Not like this."

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000