1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prefabs for the community

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Gullonefox, May 18, 2001.

1. Gullonefox

Gullonefox TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper

Hi all! someone came up with a good idea today so I want to try and push the thought into action.
    This will benifit us all in the short to long term, with your help (community mappers) our hours of mapping might get cut in half!

One problem I have found is that when I reach the end of making a map, things pop into my head like this .... Ohh I know what would look sweet here .. a BUS yeah damn that would be cool for the players!
    But then the mapping process is draged out to extreme lenghts of time. So what I propse is to ask all the mappers out there to kindly offer some prefabs to the prefab pool. I will create a page open to everyone on TbuildT, where all mappers can pop in and take what they need! this would help every one out greatly!
    So from here on In every thing I make will be turned into a prefab for all to use.. If you like this Ideas please support this by submiting some prefabs!

Thanks for your time fellas!

Lets hope this happens!

Contact me on
    gullonefox@planetunreal.com
    Thanks again!

2. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

“Showroom floor” levels

Make all the prefabs be presented in the form of a level with all their textures placed in the Mylevel texture pack
    Most prefabs use two textures at most and it is a hassle to round up all those extra tiny packs, if they are in the Mylevel pack then when you grab the brush from the level you also get the textures,

My DM-TigerHunt level used this technique, so besides it being a working level it is also a perfect collection of prefabs
    but others wouldn’t need all that pathnoding and lighting, just a cutout box with the prefab brush or brushes inside.

We could call such levels “Showroom floor” levels

3. Botman

Botman Banned

Vehicles of any kind would be great, not just military stuff but civvy stuff too such as cars etc.....besides I'm gonna need some in my new map eventually lol.....:D

4. Midwinter

Midwinter sneaky bastard

Botman, are you thinking about any kind of vehicle in particular? I ask because i'm seeing that there are very much good mappers around here and maybe I would be more useful making prefabs, as it seems there is a shortage of them. So if I can help you, please say me.

5. Botman

Botman Banned

Well any make of car at all really.....just need a few dotted around the map... parked by the roadside etc or maybe in driveways.

I just think it would be more realistic than just having a whole town/village built without seeing a single vehicle of any kind.....would be even better if you could jump in one and run people over:D

Cheers!

6. -Lost-

-Lost- Local Bad-ass

what do you guys think is a good poly count for vehicles. i just made a sherman tank and it really came out well, although there's a bsp hole in the turret i have to fix. anyway, the tank is 60-90 polys and 100-200 nodes from any given angle. is this too much? it could be cut down fairly easily, though i don't really want to ;)

7. Midwinter

Midwinter sneaky bastard

Botman : Yes, but what I mean is: american ones, or european, or asian? because it depends where you want to locate the map, and I think it would be more realistic (i don't think there are many Renault-11 in the states :D )

Lost : I think that's a pretty good polycount if you ask me. The Bradley I made didn't pass 73 polys visible at a given angle, but I think a little more polys isn't bad.

BTW I DO have a Renault-11. Good car, it is about 15 year old and still no problem with it. Just thought about making a prefab of it :)

EDIT : hmm, this brings me to memory that James Bond movie (was it License to Kill?) where there was the scene of Bond driving a Renault-11. The car got split in two and it still was going with only the front wheels. I haven't tried it, though :D

8. -Lost-

-Lost- Local Bad-ass

::Royal Fanfare::
    Dadadadadadada dadaaaaaaa!!!

Here's my prefab contribution:

9. -Lost-

-Lost- Local Bad-ass

and a pic...

10. Lord Mortifa

Lord Mortifa New Member

awesome that sherman from what i see
    thanks

11. GreyMouse

GreyMouse Its whats for dinner!

Looks pretty good, just a technical note though the gun barrel is a bit too short. Event the short barreled 75's extended a bit further out.
    the rest looks great!

12. -Lost-

-Lost- Local Bad-ass

i think it's only aobut 6" short there. it should extend just about to the end of the fenders. the gun is a separate piece, so it can be adjusted.

13. fist_mlrs

fist_mlrs that other guy

here is my one:

14. fist_mlrs

fist_mlrs that other guy

it is an audi a8. the textures dont look very good, but i was never very good in prefab making.

Last edited: May 29, 2001
  15. Version(0.a)

Version(0.a) New Member

Anyone have any friggin stairwell prefabs? ARGH!!!

Why are there so few prefabs sites anyway, still tons of Quake 1 and 2 prefabs sites, but UT has like none.

16. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

Hay –Lost- that tank looks cool. Is that a masked texture for the surface? I notice the rust at the bottom, looks like a masked texture, “I like it!

Version(0.a),
    I’m surprised that there aren’t more utilities for converting the quake and half life prefabs, I have a million sites for half lift, but I don’t even play that game. I guess the guy from Prefab central is now out of school, so he should be restoring his sit again, after a bad server crash. What kind of staircase you looking for exactly? Wood, Metal, style?

17. -Lost-

-Lost- Local Bad-ass

rust? i used a masked texture for the suspension if that's what you're seeing. and thanks :)

18. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

fist_mlrs that car looks great! We need more lowpoly cars to line the streets of our city levels, I am currently making an Infiltration friendly city map and a few cars like this would really help.

Now about skinning vehicles, your using more textures then necessary, for the front headlights and fender your using a 256X128 pic yet only fit the logo and lights into the actual prefab,

Take that small bit your actually using and place it in with another such as the hood texture, download my DM-tiger hunt from Real Maps and look at how the Bronco texture was put together.

Optimize texture usage by getting rid of what’s not used

Notice I blended the outline of the truck with a matching background color so the brush cutout does not have to be either undersized or perfect,

Make the tiers and their texture separate from the vehicles body (always do this)

Make windows solid black so they can be masked

You cut out the side view outline of the car, now get a front or back shot, trace its outline in the 2d Shape Editor, and then use this new brush to intersect the first side view brush,
    Ta da! A complex looking brush made with just two simple outlines
    Then stick the wheels on it and align the textures.

Keep up the good work and remember to always put a readme in with the prefab so mappers know who to thank.

19. Lord Mortifa

Lord Mortifa New Member

this is really a good idea to share prefabs ! Especially vehicles, trees and such that can be placed in a reallooking like map :)

I´ve never done a prefab but when i have time again for mapping i certainly will export a prefab of mine here an there if i see it looks well because it seems to be no real effort if you do the thing for your map anyway.

20. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

Maybe you can do a web site where you can put common used INF object... Like an INF SDK web site ![​IMG]