"Precaching" lock up

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lawnboy723

Nov 28, 1999
USA
Visit site
I have a PIII 500 on an Asus P3B-F motherboard with 128mb ram and a 770 ultra. About every other time the intro movie locks up. Other than that it USUALLY locks whie precaching the fist game I attempt to join. If I get past that the game NEVER gets past 2 levels. The 3rd on will always lock. Anyone out there with the same tyes of problem or have a workaround? I have DX7 and nVidia's 3.53 detonator drivers installed, and running win98. Any elp in this extremely frustrating bug would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
I use TNT2 cougar w/32mb ,I disabled the pre-caching option in "adv options"..it didn't seem to effect performance that I could measure..that might help you prevent lockups.

ghostgeek

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
Turning off precaching doesnt help.Its the detonators or dx7...i had the same problem and was troubleshooting WITH Cliff Blezinski of Epic via email tag.
He suggested turn off precaching.It worked for one match then locked at the movie.
I have the P3B-F too with a P3450(sl35d)@540mhz.
I bought a voodoo 3 3000 for this game glide runs awesome.But i kept my Creative TNT2 Ultra anyway...when Epic releases a patch,or DX 7 is updated or Nvidia releases new drivers i might try running the TNT2 again.
In any case the voodoo3 is faster in 800x600 or lower 55.21 fps in the timedemo option.

<sigh>

ghostgeek

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
BTW..according to Epic,the 3.53 detonators had a page locking problem in the demo...so maybe newer detonators will help when they release them.i think the new ones coming are 3.62.

SolidCordon

Dec 4, 1999
Visit site
My system (AMD K6-2, 450MHz, Viper770, 64M RAM, win98, Directx7) doesn't lock up in pre cacheing but it spends a lot of time doing it. Software mode is unplayable and Direct3d performance degrades as I play for longer periods.
I'm running the latest TNT drivers, where could I find the 2.08 driver?

(I have a pentium 200MHz with 64M ram, Matrox g220, 3dfx card, win95 and it runs UT smoother and without the precaching delays I'm getting on my 'game' system. Grrrr)