Post the PC you're hoping to build

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
With those that are hoping to build a new PC, this is the thread to post what components you have your eyes on. Others can feel free to critique on those builds, and offer suggestions, and whatever else.

I shall start with the one I'm in the middle of building, and what hardware I have yet to pick up:

Intel i7-4790K
MSI Z97 7-Gaming Mobo
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB)
EVGA GTX970 FTW
Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD
HGST Deskstar 4TB HDD
Pioneer 16x Blu-ray Burner
LG 12x BD-ROM
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PSU
NZXT Phantom 530 Case
ASUS PCI-N15 Wi-Fi Card
Hauppauge WinTV-DVR-2250 TV Card
Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Again, this is what I'm in the middle of getting for my build. Let's hear from you, if you're hoping to build a new rig this year, if you're willing to have any feedback or suggestions for mine, whatever the case...this thread is certainly a go-to.

EDIT: And yes, I know that a 480GB SSD could sound overkill, but bear in mind, I'm hoping for this to be both a boot AND Steam drive.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Fairly solid mid-range system... And all the components are fully compatible. A rarity for these sorts of threads generally. Usually some part will at least have to run in legacy mode. The closest to that sort of thing, and this is more opinion then anything, is your PSU. Which could use an extra 50 watts just to truly be in the comfort zone even when the system is under stress. Though 750 is well over the upper 500's that that build would need... still a little extra play in that area can go a long way towards stability even if performance wise you are basically wasting money.

Me personally I would love to build a new system or even just upgrade from this 7950 but that isn't in the cards ATM.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Oh, and the RAM is going to be DDR3-2400 (found $5 cheaper to go that route than the DDR3-1866 on Newegg), btw, forgot to mention the spec on that.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Well...after a few months, here's what I finally wound up with, possibly could add a second SSD for Steam and the ROG Front Base Control Panel would be nice, but those two are certainly optional addons rather than being necessary for the build.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 ROG (reason why I might be considering the RoG Front Base Control Panel)
RAM: 16GB DDR3-2400 Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 x 8GB Silver) Silver was cheaper than the red pack, even though the red would've matched more with the RoG theme.
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 SuperClocked ACX 2.0
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850W
Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Full ATX
SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB (optionally might add a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for a Steam drive if necessary)
HDD: 4TB Seagate Internal Desktop Kit (hopefully 7200RPM rather than the 5900 RPM)
ODD1: Pioneer BDR-2209 16x Blu-ray Burner
ODD2: LG 12x BD-ROM
WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner Card
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCI-E Adapter

Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hz 3D Ready Monitor
Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1 Speakers
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Blue version)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Tunable Gaming Mouse
Wired X360 Controller (Black)
Recycling the Logitech 9000 Webcam from other builds

All in all, this seems to be the build that I consider to be rather superior to that original MSI idea that I had.
The only thing higher-end than this would be an X99, 5930K, 32GB DDR4-2400 setup, possibly, with 2 x GTX Titan X in SLI, but I doubt that the average joe would be able to go that route. LOL.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Sorry to bump the thread, but I was also considering a secondary Mac Mini (yeah, I know) for the Christmas season (since I've always been wanting to do iPad App Development), so just as long as I go with the $700 version of that, I might be all right. Certainly not going for that dead-end $500 one, obviously...mleh.