1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Positive-Ion is recruiting coders for an upcoming U2 SP mod

Discussion in 'Programming' started by 8-4-7-2, Jan 20, 2002.

1. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

The mod is called Timeslip, and well deals with timetravel.

The story in short is that a disease threatens mankind, and a jump through time is supposed to prevent it. However the terrorists spreading the disease also have a timemachine, and so you chase their timetravel guy through many different eras like the present (actually 2030), the stoneage, the medieval, an alternate rome which survived, a dark distant future, a future which is a paradise, and some more. Each era with own weapons.
    There are more details, like different subplots, but that's all I will tell now

So it will have quite a few different architecture sets. We have 3-4 coders so far, but not that experienced. The more the merrier.

There is no pressure now. Work will start when U2 is out, around May 24th. And then, we just see how well we advance.

For more questions post here, PM me, or post at our forums:
    http://www.expandedmultiplayer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=196

Btw, Positive-Ion is the name of our group. We also take mappers, modellers, whatever needed :)

2. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

actually even just having 4 coders on your team is bad.

The less the better.....

Well, 2 is the optimal number for a mod.. if you can't get two, 1 is second best......
    (from experience)

BTW, I doubt you'd start work right when it comes out and I even more doubt that Unreal2 is coming out that early.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2002
  3. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

Well we have people who aren't that experienced with UScript. Maybe a small mutator. But a whole mod is something different.

You will probably be right that we won't start rightaway when U2 comes out. But as said, we are under no pressure of any kind :)

4. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

well.. with all the changes a lot of us will be starting off fresh :)

but who knows when U2 will come out :p

5. butto

butto Red Orchestra Coder

End of May is the posted date now on a few sites.

6. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

other sites say march.
    other sites say August.

answer: no one really knows and are just making up release dates :rolleyes:

7. Datred

Datred New Member

Before U2 comes out you have to start the design phase that takes roughly 2 months at least.

1. Develop storyline
    2. Develop Character and Weapon Bio's
    3. Create tons of artwork and character sketches
    4. Design a awesome game website
    5. Create your 3D models, just don't add the skeleton yet.
    6. Create Custom Texture base
    7. Learn Uscript.
    8. Create sounds and music
    9. Develop level by level mission workup
    10. Discuss how each level works and looks like
    11. HUD Design

You can do all the above without having U2. And
    the above is what I think takes the longest.

Just like web page designers spend most their time in Adobe photoshop developing content. Once they have that content then it only takes them a few hours to develop the HTML code.

In other words, I'd start right NOW. Once others can see that you actually have some of this stuff done they will be more inclined to join your team.

The most important part of all this is to make sure others on your team share your vision and dream of the storyline. Otherwise everything will be chaotic. http://www.redbarnsoftware.com went through 4 different storylines till we found one that we all liked and we all thought we could do with our level of experiance.

Which reminds me, I have one storyline with some graphic artwork that we are not going to use in case anyone needs it. :) LOL

8. 2COOL4-U

2COOL4-U New Member

1 or 2 coders indeed is the best. @ SAS I am working with a lot of coders and it works really fustrating...

9. Jack oneill

Jack oneill New Member

I would say one is the best, but it's also too long. It's really hard to work with other coders since you're making pieces of codes and you have to see what are making others to understand the whole...

By the way, Unreal 2 has been announced for the end of May (27 i think). I've heard it yesterday on Joystick (the french mag which received the first UT2 shots !!).

So, maybe it's time to prepare ?

10. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

Don't worry, I didn't tell you everything there. The story is far more detailed, yet not completely made yet. We also have the weapons of a few eras complete.

About the coders:
    You are right that a big team is hard to coordinate. But having only one inexperienced coder, isn't that good either.

Btw, Infogrames itself confirmed that U2 is out at May 27th

11. Datred

Datred New Member

Just make sure your coders are familier with CVS (Concurrent Version System) it, and programs like it make sure your programmers work with the latest code base.

As long as you have one master coder who tells the other coders what to do you can have as many coders as you want. Like one coder handles the HUD another handles Weapon output another handles powerups, etc.

I don't think you can find any excellent programmers that have the time to work for free, by themselves on a decent MOD.

One reason? The SAS team got them all. I mean come on SAS I've looked at your helpers page, you got like 25 people working on the mod. Save some of those guys for the rest of the Umod Development teams. LOL

12. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

Infogrames can be a pretty shaky when it comes to it's news releases - they are the ones who slipped out bits about UT2 accidentally, then denied it's existence, then announced it to a group of press people, one of whom (that whole european mag preview escapade) leaked it out earlier than probably was supposed to.

In short, Infogrames has horrible PR control.

The Official FAQ still says Q1 (extremely unlikely at this point), I couldnt find a press release on the May 27th date, but that's what I remember too. Amazon has the preorder date set for June 4th.

But that's several months away. Release dates slip. A lot. In fact, how late was the original Unreal in terms of release dates?

There are several mod authors waiting for the new block of features. Personally, unless you think you want to fill out the next few months designing and planning, I still suggest coding for UT and porting for it later. Unless you know for a fact that what you need can't be done.

There are undoubtably several similarities between the code bases. Even if you are only prototyping in UT, you'll probably be saving some time, just learning the Unreal setup.

Sounds like a neat idea though, good lucks.

rgx

13. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

I'm betting on August.

I am also hoping for August :)

14. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

What's scaring me is that it's a bit like Schrodinger's Cat, just looking at the date seems to make it change. When replying I looked up some not-so-old notes and I had predicted April in a pessimistic way. Now April doesnt even appear possible....

rgx

15. Cursed_Soul

Cursed_Soul Now known as Luos_83

btw 8-4-7-2-3-6-3-6-3-6-3-5-3-7-3-8-8-3
    (i love his name)

i can draw chars... just dont know how good i am in armyguys...
    and maybe with some help from a friend, and your team i can make some weapons as well.....

but i dont know if im good enough for it.

pm me bout it okies?

16. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

All I want is the demo/game to be released no earlier than a month after ONP is released :)

17. DavidM

DavidM Designer

so we better hurry now, thats why your map idea wont be realized for onp

but later

Last edited: Jan 23, 2002
  18. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

stay out of this forum :p

19. Cursed_Soul

Cursed_Soul Now known as Luos_83

20. Papapishu

Papapishu 我是康

From what I've heard, the scripting language is gonna be very similar, thus the learningcurve will be very flat.
    Give me a function reference and I'll be on it in an afternoon ;)
    About the graphics and resources, it might be a good idea to start it right away, so that part is done.
    Then it's just to put it together when the coding-possibilities comes... :)