1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Portal 2 Invades The Ball, Killing Floor

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Apr 13, 2011.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

A recent update to the thirteen games that are a part of Steam's Potato Sack Pack has added a host of Portal 2 goodies. This is all a part of Valve's elaborate alternate-reality metagame. Two of those games are Unreal Engine - The Ball and Killing Floor. Check them out now:

2. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

This is an awesome and funny way of advertising.

And it helps the other studios too, IMHO. I think the indie stuidios got paid for their effort to put the levels in. And some portal fans will buy those games too now.

Remember: "Panels, the planks of tomorrow"

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. [NBK]Rattman

[NBK]Rattman Goo God

Really enjoyed running through this.....I think the Ball team did a great job of mixing the ball and portal puzzles!

4. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

I could almost give a 100% guarantee that someone out there will troll this and/or misunderstand that the games are 'ripping' Portal 2 rather than promoting it.

5. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

I am with you. This is the internets in the end.

6. Spiney

Spiney New Member

This is AWESOME.

Did Valve themselves do these? Would be funny if they were using Unreal Engine to promote their games, and it's cool to see the source assets in another engine.

Just realized I still gotta pick up the ball, now that I finally have a system that can run it.

7. Cr4zyB4st4rd

Cr4zyB4st4rd I make awesome ©

"big dumb ball"

Valve gave them the assets according to hourences, they then built the level and I figure valve asked them to have certain things in it for ARG.

But it was a quality level and glados is <3

8. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Portal 2 will rock. I'm finally going to buy a new video game.

9. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I loved having the test chambers in The Ball. Test Chamber 7 was a real pain.

10. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

I really hope the content isn't time limited. I haven't had much time this week for gaming so I hope I'll get to check this stuff out at some point. I'm having a lot of fun watching the ARG develop though. Events like this are why Steam is such a great service.

I wonder if there were any developers that Valve asked but declined to participate? Introversion has no involvement in this and they've been one of the biggest Steam cheerleaders, which makes it a bit surprising since you'd think that would be a good fit for an ARG like this.

That doesn't surprise me. I've been following the ARG and it does seem like the individual developers have a sizable amount of freedom in regards to the content they add to the game and in terms of participation in the ARG. Some of the developers have been fairly involved with the meta-game while others seem to be more focused on in-game content.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  11. [NBK]Rattman

[NBK]Rattman Goo God

Hourences stated in the Steam forums that this content will stay in the game.

12. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

The GLADos Trader in Killing Floor is limited though.

13. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

It was great fun to get to mix our assets with valve's and I'm really proud of the result we managed to come up with.

14. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Excellent :)

15. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

That's lame...

16. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Shouldn't it be limited to just the special map?

17. KillerSkaarj

KillerSkaarj Art for swans is dope!

Ooh! Just when I get my new computer up and running, too! Sadly the only Indie game I own out of that 13 is Amnesia, and I haven't heard anyone talk about the Portal 2 content for Amnesia other than it's apparently called "Justine" and there are Egyptian glyphs, not to mention the potato on the main menu replacing the broken vial of Damascus Rose Amnesia potion.

18. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

Ha, someone on another forum posted screenshots of this and I just thought someone made a really awesome Portal fanmap for KF.
    Hell of a promotional gag.:lol: And not just a quick throwaway joke either. Quality stuff.

19. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

awesome!

not awesome :'(

20. Entr0p1cLqd

Entr0p1cLqd New Member

No better or worse than the default one imho. They did a good job on the new level though.