1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 poly limits

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by stocko2k, Mar 16, 2009.

1. stocko2k

stocko2k New Member

hi ive made a weapon model in max and the polycount is at 1465 just wondering what the ut3 poly limit is so i know if i have to cut some polys or if i'm good to go.

thanks for any help in advance

2. |*BILLY$CLINT*|

|*BILLY$CLINT*| I make things happen!

Yeah you should be good for a "Next Gen" gun that is pretty low you could add some more if you wanted. The real killer is the material shader you apply to the weapon.

3. DazJW

DazJW Member

The general figures are 5000 for a third person mesh and 10000 for a first person mesh, though Epic's weapons vary a fair bit either side of this. Off the top of my head there's one first person mesh that's 13000, I think it's the Bio gun.

4. stocko2k

stocko2k New Member

cool thanks for the advice so my 1465 poly weapon could be used as a pick up maybe lol

5. DazJW

DazJW Member

You can use it for whatever you want, if you've made what needs to be made and it's only 1465 tris then it's 1465 tris. There's no point doing a version with an OTT triangle count just to be in the same region as Epic's stuff.

6. Gungriffon Geona

Gungriffon Geona fartdongs

is there a specific limit to what player models have? I'm working on one and it's like.... I wanna say closing on 10k, and will be higher than that by the end?
    Also, is there a way to handle detail maps without going insane and trying to stick rediculous ammounts of useless "detail" on it? I'm trying to do a really clean looking design, but the way things look, that won't really go well. could a simple Mesh-Smooth and adding a few scratches be enough in that regard?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. Aberiu

Aberiu New Member

evilengine's xeno models are about 60000 polys and they seem to work fine, although i wouldn't recommend using more than 20000 polys for a single character

8. Gungriffon Geona

hm, I guess that's not too bad. I'm not going to be killing PCs anytime soon then :D

On another curious note (albeit off-topic) What's the way most folks have been using for texturing models? I keep wondering if it's possible to get away with messing with materials and shader setups in Max and just Render-Bake to a texture and add stuff to that later.

9. Dogger

Dogger New Member

I highly doubt those models are 60,000 polys, if they are then its extremely bad modelling practise.

10k is enough i would say, the max poly count on a character in ut3 is 19k afaik, try to focus on shape and silhouette rather then details that can be normal mapped on.

10. Aberiu

Aberiu New Member

11. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

12. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

25k should be a top limit for ingame character models, anything more then that would be wasted and youd be looking in the facinity of millions for the normal maps. I do like the idea of realtime subd's so if that mesh is lodded up nicely it could work.

Trouble with a game like UT is, is that its so fast so you dont always get to appreciate the little details since you rarely see em for any length of time.

For weapons it depends if its a first person or third person mesh, under 2k is good stuff. Personally Id top limit weapons at around 5k, then you got room for some play... Yeah 2k is good for an ingame mesh dont worry you got headroom (just perhaps not 40k worth :p)

13. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

That's just silly. You can cut so much out of that, without it even being noticeable.

As for triangle count, sticking to around 5k is healthy - you're rarely going to need any more detail than that anyway.

14. Gungriffon Geona

I think the worst part about that is it won Phase 2 for Player Models. that's a rather discouraging thought. Would just cranking stupidly high poly counts ACTUALLY be enough to win over judges? It's not even that unique a model.